PDA

View Full Version : Questions regarding module customization

Bilbotorm
April 15th, 2016, 12:03
Hello

Had a quick game last night with a few friends. We were experience the software and tried different stuff, but I had quite a bad discovery: I imported the scenario Harried in Hillsfar. I customized it a couple of days ago (translate it basically) but then, i don't know exactly what I messed up with (maybe the rename of the campaign folder in the DATA folder made the trick) : I lost all my text customization of the module :(

Looking at this video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1045&v=QrQ3jHv3-so ; at 6"00, I do suspect that when you open a module in a campaign and customize it, there's at some place the modification and there's a link to that campaign, so that if you open the module for a second campaign, you'll be able to customize it differently. Correct ? if my assumption is correct, can you please confirm that the rename I made broke everything ? What's the best practice then ? Make modification to a campaign, export it just in case ?

thanks for your experience & knowledge sharing

Bil

damned
April 15th, 2016, 15:12
Hi Bil,

If you are running the demo then no changes are saved on exit.... :(

Bilbotorm
April 15th, 2016, 15:37
Well actually, I am running an ultimate subscription... I have access to the different rulesets & themes so I guess the soft is properly setup

damned
April 15th, 2016, 15:42
:)
Did you rename the /campaigns or the /campaigns/subfolder ?
Yes - when you edit a module you dont actually edit the module - you only create a list of changes and these are stored in that particular campaign.
They should still be in your original campaign/subfolder

It is also possible that you have a permissions issue on your campaigns folder but I believe you are on a mac using the steam install and I havent seen permissions issues on that setup....

Bilbotorm
April 15th, 2016, 15:55
:)
Did you rename the /campaigns or the /campaigns/subfolder ?
Yes - when you edit a module you dont actually edit the module - you only create a list of changes and these are stored in that particular campaign.
They should still be in your original campaign/subfolder

It is also possible that you have a permissions issue on your campaigns folder but I believe you are on a mac using the steam install and I havent seen permissions issues on that setup....

Hi Damned,

Actually no, the MAC/Steam thing is another topic as I wanted to play a bit with the soft while moving around during the week; but for yesterday and the future game session it will be played on windows.
I did renam the campaigns/subfolder folder, not the whole campaigns/ folder don't worry.
So ok, the list of the change in the module are stored in the campaign which is great but maybe it's using the campaign path and that would explain the loss after renaming ? still quite puzzled to have lost everything without deleting anything. I'll look at the permission thing for sure, but would be surprised : I specifically assigned a data folder on a dedicated drive to avoid any issue.

thanks for your help

Trenloe
April 15th, 2016, 22:44
In your campaigns\<campaign name> directory, look for a directory called "moduledb" - this will hold XML files, one for each module, containing modified data. See if one exists for the module in question.

Bilbotorm
April 16th, 2016, 12:15
Thanks a lot, I'll have a look there, indeed I can find some stuff.
Couldn't see the XML for the specific module but next time i'll make translation, i'll make sure i'll check this is well stored and that rights are applied

thanks for the support

Bilbotorm
May 13th, 2016, 21:37
Hello

Reopening this thread as I lost once again all my translation of the module lost mine of phandelver and I could have been devastated, fortunately, I had a save around.
To explain my config: I have now the Ultimate licence for FG, no more demo stuff.
I bought PHP & Lost Mine of Phandelver, started a campaign with my 4 friends.
And for unknown reason, my whole xml got almost wipped minus one change I made this evening. But all changes I made days ago are vanished.
When I compare the backup and the new xml, it's indeed different in size and stuff.

Is there a log in FG I can look into to understand why it messed up with the XML in my campaign...? Right now, I have everything back, but I need to understand what's going on to make it stop :(

EDIT: It seems I managed to reproduce a pattern that makes this happening.
I open my campaign
I go to story, I have 6 groups : the default one which is empty, and 5 groups for each part of Lost Mine of Phandelver module.
I delete the default/empty story group
I cycle the icon of the first 2 parts twice (i wanted to mark in purple the group I translated vs the default blue icon for the story that was still in english)
I edited the story of part 2 adding just a "BLABLA" text.
I exit FG
I launch FG, my campaign.
The default story group is back here, the purple icon are back to blue and all my customization is lost

This is repro 100% of the case I am doing this. Any log I can scout to understand what's happening ? A known bug for deleting the default group in story ? or the change of colours ?

Thanks for your help!

Zacchaeus
May 13th, 2016, 22:20
Indeed, I can reproduce this. Don't delete the first group and don't change the colour of the icons and you'll be fine. It would also appear that the icons will go back to whatever they were before so it looks like you can't alter these. However any text changes will still be there as long as you haven't deleted the first group or changed the icons.

Bilbotorm
May 13th, 2016, 22:30
It would also appear that the icons will go back to whatever they were before so it looks like you can't alter these.
Exactly.

However any text changes will still be there as long as you haven't deleted the first group or changed the icons.
Ok well noted, I won't mess this to avoid any issue in the future

Is there anything wrong in what I did ? like is it forbidden to delete the default/first group, or it's a new bug that will get fixed eventually ? just asking by curiosity ;)

Zacchaeus
May 13th, 2016, 23:45
I have no idea if it's a bug or if it is working as intended. I would have thought that you should not be able to delete the tab if it just comes back. It is a curious one and probably unique to you :)

damned
May 14th, 2016, 01:18
The first group is the default group. It needs to be there.
The other groups are not permanent groups - they are part of the LMoP module. If you closed the LMoP then there would be nothing in there without the default group.
Im guessing here that when FG launches it recreates the Default group and that change the indexes and your data gets lost.
Its *possible* your data might still be in your campaign db but have been orphaned.

Actually the first group doesnt HAVE to be there - but a non-module group/tab does have to be there.

Bilbotorm
May 14th, 2016, 12:17
Ok well noted thanks !

Varsuuk
May 15th, 2016, 03:19
Don't orphan the nodes! ;)

damned
May 15th, 2016, 04:38
Don't orphan the nodes! ;)

Only make orphans of orcs and kobolds.