PDA

View Full Version : Deaf gamer - would I be welcome?

garrettendi
April 14th, 2016, 19:19
Hello,

I've been meaning to get into D&D and/or WFRPG but living in a location where there aren't many options for that has made it thus far impossible.

I found Fantasy Grounds on Steam and this seems perfect (subject to the time difference) but for one thing: I am profoundly Deaf and would struggle to use tools such as Skype and other such things to communicate with my fellow gamers.

Would anyone be able to give me any indication whether someone with this difficulty would still be welcome to some of the gaming groups? Are there text based communication systems that would enable me to take a full involvement?

Thanks
garrettendi

Nylanfs
April 14th, 2016, 19:22
Yep, you sure would, there are plenty of text only games! Alternately I think Hangouts has a CC feature doesn't it, and you probably could run the teamspeak audio through some type of CC prog.

Welcome to the forums & the FG community.

garrettendi
April 14th, 2016, 19:26
Hi Nylanfs! Thanks for the reply. Automated captions are mostly terrible, I've made a lot of use of them in the past. Normally on something such as Skype I rely on the text bit to repeat things that I don't hear (which is quite a lot). A full text option would be best, but if a group were supportive with me and helped me with text I could see that working.

kylania
April 14th, 2016, 21:14
Welcome to Fantasy Grounds garrettendi!

gaara6666
April 14th, 2016, 21:15
OH HO HO HO HO *SLAPS GARRET ON THE BACK* my friend this is a bustling big community with lots of support and friendly fun. You will be JUUUUST fine my friend! All you need to do is when introducing yourself just make that known and people are usually more than willing to accommodate.

Valarian
April 14th, 2016, 22:05
Is Tuesday 8pm UK time any good for you? I've got a Star Wars: Edge of the Empire game going with a slot or two open. Unfortunately my Sunday night game is full. Both are text games.

Blahness98
April 14th, 2016, 23:23
I run text only games, but my plate is a tad full at the moment. If things change in the future, I will drop you a pm.

As a side note, my daughter is profoundly deaf as well. She has bilateral cochlear im plants now, but I still know a bit of asl.

Ken L
April 15th, 2016, 00:10
take a look in the LFG topic or in the calendar for games that are text only.

damned
April 15th, 2016, 11:43
Far and away most games are voice or a combination of voice and chat.
You are definitely not alone though - there are many who play text only for a variety of reasons.

pacio49
April 15th, 2016, 21:18
Welcome to the community! Just let everyone know that you're looking for text-only games... I was in one that unfortunately had to close due to scheduling conflicts, but they most certainly are out there, for a number of different playing platforms. And if you're willing to be a GM yourself, you can set up the game to be text only from the getgo!

Skellan
April 16th, 2016, 00:09
Let me know if you don't find a game. text only is something I have been meaning to experiment with. You'd have to be fluent in typonese though :)

damned
April 21st, 2016, 02:02
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?31056-Lost-Mines-Of-Phandelver

Skellan
May 1st, 2016, 02:20
Also this

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?31276-Interest-Check-Deadlands-Noir-The-Old-Absinthe-House-Blues-Text-Based-Game