PDA

View Full Version : Resolving initiative ties

cas206
April 13th, 2016, 02:49
Before I submit a feature request, I want to first make sure I'm not missing something. I've been handling initiative ties (same roll, same dex bonus) by manually bumping up or down the initiative number. But I had a case with large crowd of NPC's and player characters who rolled very close to each other. Trying to bump initiative numbers got messy and initiative got confused. Is there currently a way to "drag" or reorder PC initiative order, particularly with tied rolls?

gqwebb
April 13th, 2016, 03:26
Are the players rolling there own init? Are you manually rolling init?

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?23485-Players-rolling-their-own-initiative

kylania
April 13th, 2016, 04:21
I just leave it as whatever order the CT puts them in, no mess no fuss.

Zacchaeus
April 13th, 2016, 09:47
I just leave it as whatever order the CT puts them in, no mess no fuss.

Indeed. I don't see any need to fine tune initiative any more than this. I'm not terribly sure how FG handles ties; I've never thought to look but I wouldn't be surprised if there is code in there to make the higher DEX characters go above others with a lesser DEX score.

EDIT: I just tested this out and it appears that it does.

jajen2003
April 13th, 2016, 13:50
And if worse comes to worse, you can always put decimal points in the CT. True story, you can enter initiative as n.n if you wanted to.

So if both creatures have the same Init roll, in this case say 13, and both creatures have the same bonus and same Dex, you can simply have a d20 roll off and give the winner an Init of 13.1 and the other 13.2.

I just leave the order how the CT orders them, but it's all about options.

cas206
April 14th, 2016, 00:09
Are the players rolling there own init? Are you manually rolling init?

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?23485-Players-rolling-their-own-initiative

Sorry. I left that detail out of my original post. This is for an in person, at the table, game. They roll dice and I type in the results. I just started a Strahd campaign with seven players using Adventure League rules. Six of the seven players have Dex +3 modifiers.

And if worse comes to worse, you can always put decimal points in the CT. True story, you can enter initiative as n.n if you wanted to.

Whaa!?! Confirmed, that works. That solves my problem so I don't need to clutter the wish list with another unnecessary entry.

Thanks.

gqwebb
April 14th, 2016, 03:55
Cool, I use Fantasy Grounds mainly at the table too. I still let FG do the Init. ( I used to say OK lets roll init ) I gave in to the easy of the system.

Trenloe
April 15th, 2016, 00:39
I'm not terribly sure how FG handles ties; I've never thought to look but I wouldn't be surprised if there is code in there to make the higher DEX characters go above others with a lesser DEX score.
How FG orders init listed here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?26659-Combat-Tracker-quirks&p=237367&viewfull=1#post237367

Zacchaeus
April 15th, 2016, 08:51
How the hell do you remember all these posts you make, Trenloe?

That's another thing I need to try and remember now :)

whiteTiki
April 19th, 2016, 21:43
How the hell do you remember all these posts you make, Trenloe?

That's another thing I need to try and remember now :)

LOL I know, he always has the perfect post to answer anyone's question. I don't know if it is an extraordinary memory, some incredible forum-searching skills or a combination of both.

PD I think he must have created his own algorithms so that he can automatically find "related threads" to the one in question.

Nylanfs
April 19th, 2016, 23:46
OR he's in reality an AI with near infinite search speed. I'll let you decide which sounds more likely.

Zacchaeus
April 20th, 2016, 00:13
OR he's in reality an AI with near infinite search speed. I'll let you decide which sounds more likely.
I talked to him once and he sounded normal :)

LordEntrails
April 20th, 2016, 00:20
I talked to him once and he sounded normal :)
Surprising how good text-to-speech has gotten these days isn't it?

damned
April 20th, 2016, 08:25
Ohhhh I had a beer with him in Sydney two weeks ago and he is definitely NOT normal....