PDA

View Full Version : Cypher System, what do you like about it?

darrenan
April 11th, 2016, 21:39
I would like to hear what people do and don't like about Cypher System/Numenera/The Strange. I've heard general comments like "it makes GMing easier" etc. and I'm curious what is it about that system that sets it apart from other roleplaying systems? Please leave FG out of this discussion, I'm just curious about the rules themselves, and there's already a thread discussing FG support elsewhere.

Thanks!

Mask_of_winter
April 11th, 2016, 22:07
The game is player-facing. Meaning, the players roll the dice, the GM doesn't. Besides adjudicating situational modifiers and determining a difficulty level (which you multiply by three to determine target number - ie this guy is level 3 so you must roll 9 or higher on your d20 to hit) the bulk of the rules are on the choices players make at character creation and during the game. And also the cyphers, which are basically one-time abilities.

The only things I don't like about it is you find yourself doing a lot of mental math in your head. Nothing complicated mind you. And also having to generate a lot of treasure (cyphers) because the game revolves around it.

Other than that I find it quite flexible and easy. The production quality is also top notch with clear rules, examples and a lot of great artwork.

Mortar
April 12th, 2016, 01:12
Stryfe484 has set up a game on the calendar page for a series of one shots if you want to check the system out and the time slot works for you.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?id=1932

cyphus5
April 12th, 2016, 07:09
I haven't run in on FG mind you, just in RL. I love the setting and most of the rules of Numenera. I'm just not a fan of game mechanics that aren't supported in the narrative, so I'm not a big fan of cyphers. I don't like that there's an arbitrary limit to the number of them a PC can carry, just because the game says so. If you're players are hoarding cyphers you need to put them in situations to use them more. If they are not using them then, then they are probably just shitty. I also don't like that they are all just one-offs, because it feels like a simplistic way to approach game design, but without it making sense in the narrative. This is similar to Gamma World in 4e D&D, but there it fell very "beer and pretzels", so I didn't care about taking it seriously.

Black Hammer
April 13th, 2016, 12:08
The system is a little too airy and vague for my tastes. In lieu of mechanics that provide narrative power, you get a lot of debate over poorly defined terms that leave newbies confused and power gamers rambunctious.

The settings are by and large OK, though none of them particularly capture my interest. The Strange reminds me of Torg, though with less charm (and a better ruleset, to be fair).

I have mixed feelings about fully player facing systems. As a GM, I like the option of ignoring or fudging rolls to control the pace of the game. After all, my job is to tell a story, not run a fair gambling table.

I don't like that the games are extremely light on mechanics until you come to the bizarrely specific class abilities and cyphers. It's very jarring to go from things that apply nearly all the time to most things then suddenly have something that is only relevant when used left-handed while underwater. Balance also seems a little suspect.

I would play it again, but it doesn't really suit my style as a DM.

gamemasterbob
May 29th, 2016, 08:58
Alright I'll throw my 2 cents on the table.

If the GM wants to roll dice in the Cyper system go ahead! I do. I roll for a random LEVEL of a creature or NPC. How many Shins (money) the PCs find. The weather. NPC reactions ... the list goes on! And I haven't changed the feel of the game. With this said, The Strange, Numenera, and Cypher System are NOT necessarily player facing. I'm rolling dice too. Creatively. I have a lot of fun with it and so do the players.

A comment:
It NOT our job as Gamemaster to tell a story. It's our job to host and present enjoyable gaming experiences that just HAPPEN to tell a story. In other words turn your players loose with interesting SITUATIONS and let the MOMENTS become the STORY!

A GM should NEVER spend too much time trying to hold too tight to THEIR campaign goal. Focus on the SESSION and create fun, memorable SITUATIONS! When Players talk they recall SITUATIONS and the MOMENTS when their favorite characters rocked! That's what a good GM should strive for. Numenera, The Strange, and the Cypher System are perfect for this kind of play. My opinion. :)

Talyn
May 31st, 2016, 19:42
The way I see it, every single RPG book like... ever... makes a separation between GM and Players. I guess Monte had the idea of mechanically reinforcing that with no GM rolls. The same rolls are getting made, just the players are rolling them. Player attempts to attack, he rolls attack. NPC attempts to attack, player rolls dodge. Like he'd do in Dark Souls or whatever other action RPG with dodging as a core action mechanic.

The GM can keep his head up and on the game and players instead of dipping below a GM screen reading charts and rolling his own dice. Which is all fine and good, every other RPG has everyone roll their own dice which is why I don't mind having this one ruleset doing something different because it's not like it's trying to force every other RPG to mimic it and not have the GM roll.

The GM has his own job to do: setting difficulty numbers, working with cyphers, keeping the plot and story going. The players control their characters through the plot and story and guide it along.

Trenloe
June 9th, 2016, 02:21
And don't forget GM Intrusion!

This is one thing, from a GM standpoint, that I really like about the Cypher System. For example, if I want the baddie to escape and live another day I can do this easily with GM Intrusion. I don't have to worry about fudging dice or waiting for the baddies turn to make a run for it, just intrude at the most dramatic moment, distribute the 2XP and let the narrative flow. As long as the player doesn't spend 1XP to refuse the intrusion! Players will soon get used to this being part and parcel of the game and grow to like how it impacts the narrative, and not complain that you ignored the rules to let the baddie escape (which I have had in other game systems).

The Numenera Glimmer "Taking the Narrative by the Tail: GM Intrusions & Special Effects (https://www.montecookgames.com/store/product/taking-the-narrative-by-the-tail-gm-intrusions-special-effects/)" is not just for Numenera, it's relevant to the Cypher System as a whole and has some great examples and advice. As the product description says "GM intrusions offer an opportunity for the Numenera GM to really shine–and for the players to experience incredible turning points in their characters’ stories."