PDA

View Full Version : Modules and Story Items

Casimir
April 10th, 2016, 19:57
Greetings all -

I'm working on a campaign, and I'd like to be able to develop it by having multiple "modules" within a single module that represent each game session I have planned. For example, if I enable my module, instead of a single Story list, I'd like to have separate sessions show up in multiple Story Groups, so I'd end up with one Story group as Session #1, another Story group as Session #2, etc. So, when I open up my single Module file, I'd end up with something like this:

However, I'm having difficulty in figuring out how to accomplish this. Initially though I could create each separate Session as it's own Module, and then load ALL the Modules and try to export them all into a single Module - but that isn't working obviously (or, at least, it's not working like I think it is - all the Groups show up with the same name "Game Session 1" rather than the session names I exported them with).

I've hunted the forums and the Wiki looking for some tutorials on how to do this, but I've either missed Wiki tutorials that included this or didn't phrase my search well enough to find solutions here on the forums - so I apologize if this has been covered before (which I'm sure it has). Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated - thanks!

Trenloe
April 10th, 2016, 22:32
I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to do. You can't easily (if at all) import module data in to another module. You will need all of the data you want in a single module within your "module making" campaign (the FG campaign you use to make the module using the Module Export facility). You can create multiple category tabs within the module making campaign (like what you have in your screenshot) and give these labels. When you export the single FG module these category tabs should all be exported into the module too.

Casimir
April 11th, 2016, 00:56
Thanks for the response Trenloe.

You can create multiple category tabs within the module making campaign (like what you have in your screenshot) and give these labels.

Essentially, this is what I'm attempting to do. I tried this before, but when I did this all of the tabs had the same name (like "Campaign Session #1"), and I couldn't figure out how to rename the subsequent ones to something else. Is that something I have to do with the XML file for the module (and if so is there a tutorial available for this)?

Trenloe
April 11th, 2016, 07:21
To name the category tabs type the name text in the chat entry and drag the text to the tab.

Casimir
April 11th, 2016, 13:33
Thanks again Trenloe! That's something I would never have guessed. I actually figured out another way, by editing the db.XML file itself, but certainly dragging the name from chat onto the tab is a lot easier.

One more question however - is it possible to include both Story pages and Library pages in the same Module in such a way that the Story pages ONLY show up in the Story menu (on the right menu bar) and the Library data shows up of course in the Reference Library?

jajen2003
April 11th, 2016, 16:24
To name the category tabs type the name text in the chat entry and drag the text to the tab.

I'm sure it's on The List (https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/), but it would be nice for a radial menu option to rename the groups, similarly to how you rename a quick-key entry.

Thanks again Trenloe! That's something I would never have guessed. I actually figured out another way, by editing the db.XML file itself, but certainly dragging the name from chat onto the tab is a lot easier.

One more question however - is it possible to include both Story pages and Library pages in the same Module in such a way that the Story pages ONLY show up in the Story menu (on the right menu bar) and the Library data shows up of course in the Reference Library?

There's a depricated program that isn't being supported by it's original developer anymore called Par5e. To make Reference Library entries in your module, you'll need to:

get a hold of Par5e
get a hold of Xorn's tutorial documentation
watch a few of his videos
then spend the rest of your time in the Par5e thread (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?18123-Project-Par5e) figuring out why it's not working

You can get everything you need at Zacc's link, here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?27297-Par5e)!

Hope this helps!

Casimir
April 11th, 2016, 17:18
Thanks for the info Jajen2003 - I'll have to take a look at that. As a side note I actually downloaded most of Xorn's videos a long while back... it's been a while since I watched them though, and I wasn't looking for Module / Library data info then either. I'll have to give them another watch.

I actually did figure out how to do what I was looking to do (Modules with Library and Story data) just by scanning through the db.XML in the Module I created and exported just to test some things out. I've done a lot of web development and programming, so XML files are fairly easy for me to navigate through; once I figured out what the code snippets were it was just a question of fiddling with them long enough to figure out what I needed to do to make it work.

jajen2003
April 11th, 2016, 20:28
*tinker tinker*

I've managed to stumble my way through various things and not break them.

While I'd prefer a GUI to make things more easy to use, sometimes I also get my hands dirty in code if need be.

Multiple paragraph Chat Frames without massaging the .xml would be nice. Just a shift+return feature is all it needs.