PDA

View Full Version : Cypher System One-Shots

Stryfe484
April 10th, 2016, 16:46
I'm going to run several one-shots using various genres and worlds to showcase the Cypher System in the hopes I can get MCG to support fantasy grounds! I will provide premade characters and you bring only yourself! If you have a character idea, feel free to send me a message. It's more fun to play something you will enjoy!
I will be using the numenara ruleset since it is based off the cypher system. If you have already played the cypher system, feel free to join up, but I'd really like to introduce new players.
Here's the link to the game calendar to sign up!
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?id=1932

If you like the cypher system and want to see MCG support it, please make sure to post in the following thread. I gave MCG the link, so they will be monitoring it. Please show your support!
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?30763-Cypher-System-Support

damned
April 10th, 2016, 16:52
Numenera for Fantasy Grounds!

TriOpticon
April 10th, 2016, 18:10
I am new to Cypher and FG (played 1 game of FATE during FG Con 8) and would like to play. How long of a session were you planning?

Stryfe484
April 10th, 2016, 18:13
I plan to run 2-4 hour sessions. I can't really run them more than one every two weeks. I will provide the characters, but requests are welcome!

Blahness98
April 10th, 2016, 19:02
Stupid work.. can't join in on this. Wish I could as I want to start running a cypher game and would like to see one done before I jump in..

Stryfe484
April 10th, 2016, 19:13
Stupid work.. can't join in on this. Wish I could as I want to start running a cypher game and would like to see one done before I jump in..

I'm sorry you can't join in, but here is a preview of an actual play adventure using the cypher system. I got in a couple of gm intrusions at the end. It was very enjoyable.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=227a1igC7dM

TriOpticon
April 11th, 2016, 01:05
I'll watch that video tonight/tomorrow.

Would it be best to keep discussions about the game/genre in this thread? I do not get notified when a discussion gets added under the game calendar entry so I would hate for people to think I wasn't interested.

Blahness98
April 11th, 2016, 01:06
I backed the newest kickstarter and am grabbing the plaY test materials for the next pair of settings that are coming out, so hopefully I can get a few games going before then.

Stryfe484
April 11th, 2016, 02:12
I'll watch that video tonight/tomorrow.

Would it be best to keep discussions about the game/genre in this thread? I do not get notified when a discussion gets added under the game calendar entry so I would hate for people to think I wasn't interested.

I think that's a wonderful idea. I can always post a recap of what people are looking for on the game calendar. BTW, I just ran my first sci-fi cypher system game with my irl group. It was a great success!

Stryfe484
April 11th, 2016, 02:13
I backed the newest kickstarter and am grabbing the plaY test materials for the next pair of settings that are coming out, so hopefully I can get a few games going before then.

I did as well! I'm looking forward to the Unmasked playtest the most, but Predation looks amazing as well! I'm glad they did the Q&A days for us. It helped me better visualize each setting. I can't wait!

Stryfe484
April 11th, 2016, 11:50
Let's keep the momentum going, folks! Tell anyone you think would be interested. Send them here to put in their two cents! You can run ANYTHING with this system. Mech, sci-fi, fantasy, steam punk, horror, etc. It's such a versatile system and very rewarding to gm AND players. Let's bring this system to Fantasy Grounds and share the love with all of our groups!

Stryfe484
April 12th, 2016, 13:57
I need at least 2 more people to run a game on the 24th! Let your friends know and have them head over to the game calendar to sign up! The link is on page 1 of this thread. See you there!

Stryfe484
April 12th, 2016, 14:59
I'd be willing to start earlier, if it's easier for some of you. I may go ahead and extend the play time as well so you have time to acclimate yourselves to the characters and rules. Join in and try it out! I promise you won't be disappointed!

TriOpticon
April 12th, 2016, 16:27
Start earlier as in an earlier time or an earlier day? I am good with either. Would an online meetup be a good idea before the game starts? Connect to TeamSpeak, connect to your FG server and then see what kinds of characters people want to play, etc?

Stryfe484
April 12th, 2016, 16:29
Earlier time. I can't play past 9p est. I had very similar thought on that subject. If I can get a few more people to sign up, I think that would be a great idea.

TriOpticon
April 12th, 2016, 17:34
Earlier time is good for me. I could start as early as 5pm Eastern on Sundays.

Stryfe484
April 12th, 2016, 17:36
Earlier time is good for me. I could start as early as 5pm Eastern on Sundays.

Awesome! Btw, I've never used team speak. What are is advantages over Skype?

TriOpticon
April 12th, 2016, 18:02
To be honest, I do not know. I've only used TeamSpeak the one time I used FG. I don't use Skype for anything.

Also, since there is a dedicated FG TeamSpeak server people may see the game being played and ask about it, etc.

Stryfe484
April 12th, 2016, 18:47
To be honest, I do not know. I've only used TeamSpeak the one time I used FG. I don't use Skype for anything.

Also, since there is a dedicated FG TeamSpeak server people may see the game being played and ask about it, etc.

Nice! That's a good way to spread the word!

Zacchaeus
April 12th, 2016, 20:50
Awesome! Btw, I've never used team speak. What are is advantages over Skype?

Skype is a memory and bandwidth hog apparently. So if you are going to use if make sure that the DM doesn't host the Skype chat otherwise you might never get anything done. TS is (in my opinion) way better than anything else but it comes down to personal experience. There'll be lots of people who will advocate Mumble and Ventrilo, amongst others. Google hangouts is also supposed to be pretty good but I haven't tried that.

Stryfe484
April 12th, 2016, 22:48
Skype is a memory and bandwidth hog apparently. So if you are going to use if make sure that the DM doesn't host the Skype chat otherwise you might never get anything done. TS is (in my opinion) way better than anything else but it comes down to personal experience. There'll be lots of people who will advocate Mumble and Ventrilo, amongst others. Google hangouts is also supposed to be pretty good but I haven't tried that.

Thank you, Zacchaeus! I'll have to check it out before our first session!

Stryfe484
April 13th, 2016, 15:35
It looks like Fantasy Grounds has it's own TS server. Here's the information:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?17071-Voicechat!-Community-TeamSpeak3-Server
I'll be checking it out soon.

Stryfe484
April 14th, 2016, 02:43
Ok, we'll be using the Fantasy Grounds TeamSpeak server. Our channel is "Cypher System One-Shot". I'll give you the password via direct message before our game!

Stryfe484
April 14th, 2016, 03:49
What do you guys think of a sci-fi or super hero game for the 24th? I've got the sci-fi game ready, but I can make a super hero game fairly quickly. I've got most of the work done.

TriOpticon
April 14th, 2016, 12:27
I'd stick with the sci-fi one that is ready but I am up for either genre.

Stryfe484
April 14th, 2016, 18:31
I'd stick with the sci-fi one that is ready but I am up for either genre.

OK! Sounds good!

Stryfe484
April 18th, 2016, 19:16
We are full for the game on Sunday! Please keep signing up, however. You are welcome to continue playing, but I'm trying to get new people every other week. If you enjoy the game, please spread the word and put in your two cents on this thread:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?30763-Cypher-System-Support

Stryfe484
April 24th, 2016, 05:11
Sunday May 8th, I will be running a super hero one shot game! Please, sign up now! I will try to make a super hero of your choice for the game, but I've got to start now. I've already got one request! 3-4 more spots open currently. Again, I will provide the character. You just show up!

Stryfe484
April 25th, 2016, 23:42
SUPER HEROES! I will be running a super heroes game next session. I was going to run it in Sunday the 8th, but I was reminded it is Mother's day. I will be shooting for the 22nd. If you want a specific super hero, let me know. Again, I will make the characters. You just show up!

Nemori
April 26th, 2016, 16:45
Hello, I signed up at the calendar for the 22nd. I don't have much experience with non-PC roleplaying games, but I've been really curious about Monte Cook's new stuff (both thematically and mechanically). I have the Numenera rulebook, although I never had the opportunity to play. How close are its rules to Cypher?

Stryfe484
April 26th, 2016, 20:40
Hello, I signed up at the calendar for the 22nd. I don't have much experience with non-PC roleplaying games, but I've been really curious about Monte Cook's new stuff (both thematically and mechanically). I have the Numenera rulebook, although I never had the opportunity to play. How close are its rules to Cypher?

The Cypher system is the base for Numenera. Even though Numenera and The Strange were created first, the Cypher system is the base system. So, basically, the rules are interchangeable.

Stryfe484
April 26th, 2016, 20:50
You can sign up for a game here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?id=1932

Stryfe484
April 28th, 2016, 11:47
The available superheroes are as follows:

The superheroes are as follows:

Hiro Nakamura, honorable adept who travels through time
Deadpool, resilient warrior who never says die
Green Lantern, Creative adept who focuses on mind over matter
Spiderman, graceful explorer who fights with panache
Beast, learned warrior who conducts weird science

Sign up on the game page, link is in a previous post on this thread. Put your preferred super hero in the character slot. See you on the 22nd!

Stryfe484
April 29th, 2016, 13:05
Looks like I only need one more person to fill my game! I'm taking the first five people. If you're interested, sign up now before all the spots are gone!

Stryfe484
April 29th, 2016, 18:07
We are full! The first five people that confirmed the date and time will get a message with the available superheroes. I'll try to go in the order in which you signed up. Looking forward to playing on the 22nd!
BTW, the setting will be Super High. You are all heroes in training in high school. Students have been falling to some virus or other nefarious plot. Those that wake up, have no powers, while others don't awaken at all!
It's up to you and your Super Friends to solve the mystery and save your fellow classmates!

Stryfe484
May 4th, 2016, 02:41
Characters have been distributed! Message me if you have any questions!

Stryfe484
May 12th, 2016, 12:02
I've told everyone I will have a SECOND SESSION of the super heroes for those that missed it the first time! I'll shoot for June 5th for that one.
After the supers, I'd really like to try out one of my most beloved roleplaying setting, Eberron! I've been working hard on converting the races. I just have to finish the language on those.
I'm going to start working on dragonmarks and magic items next. Then, the hardest, I think, classes! Hopefully, some of you are as interested in this as I am!

Stryfe484
June 6th, 2016, 11:12
Bummer! Nobody from the fantasy grounds community showed up to the game! I couldn't get enough people in at the last minute to play. We are going to try again! Keep checking the game calendar for more info!

TriOpticon
June 6th, 2016, 12:22
I'll keep my eyes on it!

Stryfe484
June 18th, 2016, 01:33
July 31st is the tentative date! Make sure you sign up and pick one of the available characters to play. I'll send you the link once you've chosen your character. This will be a 3-4 hour game. We will have time to go over your character and enjoy a little adventure I put together. Feel free to invite a friend!

Stryfe484
June 24th, 2016, 07:56
While I've had fun with the one shots, I'm looking forward to running a campaign in Monte Cook Game's newest setting Gods of the Fall! It promises to be an excellent game. You can find details on this game here:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?32747-LFP-Need-4-6-Players-Sun-Night-5PM-9PM-EST-USA-Cypher-System-Gods-of-the-Fall&p=275856#post275856

cyphus5
October 6th, 2017, 04:58
I know this thread is extremely dead, but I would be interested in playing any Cypher System stuff you run in the future!

Stryfe484
October 6th, 2017, 05:39
I know this thread is extremely dead, but I would be interested in playing any Cypher System stuff you run in the future!

I'll keep that in mind. I will have internet back next week. I've been itching to run some one-shots.

Mgrancey
October 6th, 2017, 13:15
Oh, I plan to run more stuff. Just been a bit busy unfortunately. Currently updating some old stuff so it works better with new version of Fantasy Grounds.

supperslash
October 13th, 2017, 08:31
I am brand new but if you don't mind a noob playing, I would like to play something that is exploring related. {I have only played the cypher system never numera, or other variations.}

Stryfe484
October 13th, 2017, 08:37
I am brand new but if you don't mind a noob playing, I would like to play something that is exploring related. {I have only played the cypher system never numera, or other variations.}

Ok. My internet install date was pushed back to Tuesday. I'll work on setting up some one-shots after I get things up and running.

Stryfe484
October 30th, 2017, 04:43
I am running a one-shot to showcase Monte Cook Games' newest setting, Unmasked. This setting won't be released until later next month, November. Because of this, if you are interested in playing, you must submit a signed NDA to me. I will send you the NDA, you will sign it and return it to me. If you are interested in playing, sign up here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?id=2832

Stryfe484
November 22nd, 2017, 02:09
I'm planning to run a One-Shot in a setting I'm currently developing January 6th at 18:00 EST. You can find the details here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=2854

Stryfe484
December 28th, 2017, 03:30
I'm planning to run a One-Shot in a setting I'm currently developing January 6th at 18:00 EST. You can find the details here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=2854

I had to cancel due to work obligations. I'll be sure to repost when i can run it!

lordjeb
December 30th, 2017, 18:58
Sorry to hear it Stryfe484. I'll be ready to give this system a try whenever you're available. Thanks!

Stryfe484
December 31st, 2017, 02:31
Sorry to hear it Stryfe484. I'll be ready to give this system a try whenever you're available. Thanks!

I will be posting character creation guidlines first. After I receive feedback on character creation, I'll run the adventure. Thank you for your interest!