PDA

View Full Version : Question on Rings of Protection LMoP

dracklor
April 10th, 2016, 15:13
Hello all,
New to running Fantasy Grounds, and I must say it is awesome.

It has been a great help keeping my group alive after several of us had to either move, or spend more time with family.

Now so far I haven't had much trouble figuring out how things work with the excellent tutorials provided on the wiki, but my group just got the Ring of Protection from Ancient Netheril last night at Old Owl Well in the Lost Mines adventure.

So I have two quick questions, first I can't figure out how you apply the bonus +1 to all saves, unless you just use an effect in the combat tracker?

Second, for those that ran LMoP, how are people using this specific ring?

By which I mean are you just treating it as a regular Ring of Protection, or are you only allowing it to work on things that could be considered enemies of Ancient Netheril?

Any help is appreciated.

Zacchaeus
April 10th, 2016, 16:01
There's a couple of ways. First create an effect called SAVE: 1 (create in the PCs actions tab) and just have it permanently on the PC. The second is to add a +1 to each of the saving throws in the character sheet. Hover over the saving throw box on the first page of the sheet, hold down CTRL and move the middle mouse wheel up to add increments of 1. To remove the bonus just reverse the process.

I haven't played LMoP so I can't answer your second question, but a Ring of Protection is a Ring of Protection. I can't think of any reason to restrict its beneficial effects.

PS. See point 7 of this Wiki entry (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Character_Sheet#Main_Tab).

dracklor
April 10th, 2016, 16:16
Thank you for the help!

drakonin
April 11th, 2016, 15:06
Note the SAVE:1 effect also applies to death rolls so make sure to remove the effect before the players roll. I noticed this when a player rolled a 19 but FG stated critical success.

jajen2003
April 11th, 2016, 15:58
Note the SAVE:1 effect also applies to death rolls so make sure to remove the effect before the players roll. I noticed this when a player rolled a 19 but FG stated critical success.

I hope you find my news to be good news, Death Saving Throws are still Saving Throws (p. 179 and esp. p. 197 of the PHB—last sentence of the first paragraph of the "Death Saving Throws" entry). So you guessed it, you still get the bonus for wearing the ring.

Just like Initiative rolls are actually considered to be Dexterity checks, so anything that gives you a boon to checks, will also work for Initiative (p. 177 PHB; second column, top-right—first sentence of the "Initiative" entry).

That's the cool thing about 5E, it's simplified. Unless you just WANT to be mean to your players and say that magic items that give bonuses to saving throws don't count on Death saving throws. Kind'a defeats the purpose of the item, doesn't it? :D

EDIT: References and page numbers.

Nylanfs
April 11th, 2016, 17:16
"Want to be mean to the players" ?? Umm what do you mean, it clearly states in my DM's certificate that I will do all in my power to make my players cry and suggests running them through the Tomb of Horrors multiple times. Did they change the certification? ;D

drakonin
April 11th, 2016, 17:41
Sorry I should have clarified, while players get the bonus it will count as critical success on a 19 and below if they have enough +save effects on. By that rule they should be up again with 1 HP, just something to keep an eye on.

Zacchaeus
April 11th, 2016, 17:58
Sorry I should have clarified, while players get the bonus it will count as critical success on a 19 and below if they have enough +save effects on. By that rule they should be up again with 1 HP, just something to keep an eye on.

You are correct; and so you have found a bug, I believe, since that isn't expected behaviour. I'll report it.

drakonin
April 11th, 2016, 18:04
You are correct; and so you have found a bug, I believe, since that isn't expected behavior. I'll report it.

Well crap, why didn't I think of that? Thanks Zacch!