PDA

View Full Version : Looking to Start a Campaign

nix4
May 9th, 2005, 03:29
Hello all,

I'm considering putting together a fairly long term project of a series of modules in Fantasy Ground that I would create from the ground up.

But I would like to collect the thoughts of the users of this site as to which flavor of campaign they would prefer.

Sigurd
May 9th, 2005, 04:26
I have to say I'm overwhelmingly in favour of settings that dont tie me to one product line or another. Its ok if the inspiration comes from somewhere but the more firmly it is entrenched the less appealing it is.

I think it would be cool if there was a new attempt at an OGL setting where you could share background material. ( I know it would be difficult).

S

nix4
May 9th, 2005, 16:06
I agree, Generic settings are more flexible.

However, when you are dealing with heavily documented settings such as Forgotten Relams its hard to resist all the easily availble plot hook material there.

If you go with an existing setting, you have allot of background material that enriches the module...If you dont, you either gotta write it up or just ignore it.

For low level modules this is easier to do..higher level modules it gets harder IMHO.

richvalle
May 9th, 2005, 16:36
>IF< I ever try to run a campaign I'll probably take the core part of an existing world (FR probably) and toss what I don't like. I really don't want to make the world, cities, trade routes etc needed to do one from scratch. I think it would be much easier to take something pre-existing and tweak it to what you want.

rv

gurney9999
May 9th, 2005, 16:49
I have my own campaign... I like the ability to place players in an atmosphere where anything can happen and where there are no set expectations.

nix4
May 9th, 2005, 19:28
Hrmm. maybe if a module was written in a certain way, the content could be 'generic' but then hooks could be attached to each section that adds location specific information to it...

I know some modules have a introduction that contains some regional or location specific information but usually stops there...

Perhaps you could have a format like:

* 1. Town of XYZ
* player description box
* FR: (forgotten realms specific info about this location)
or
* GH: (Greyhawk specific info)
* EB: (Eberron specific info)

Sorta like notes to the DM but ear marked so they can easily be ignored if needed. That would allow for integration of location specific information without merging it with the player story. The DM would have to read it fully (and every DM reads modules before hand right?? :-) ), and then annotate whatever they wish to tell the players.

This could also be used to swap out monsters and treasure that might be location specifc. Such as:

You enter the church and are attacked!
FR: 2 priests of Cyric
GH: 2 priests of Iuz

Just my 2cp

richvalle
May 9th, 2005, 19:44
The problem is that you'll be stepping on a lot of peoples toes that way. I'm pretty sure FR and other worlds are not 'open' for modules to be made in them other then from WoTC. If fact, you have to be carefull about what monsters you put in the module and make sure they are all in the SRD.

Probably the best thing to do is make it totaly generic so it will be adaptable for most worlds. Give a brief description of what kind of setting it was made for (small town, city, mountains, near a coast, etc) and then provide a non-world specific setting in case its being run as a one-shot or the dm wants to plug your creation into their world as is.

rv

nix4
May 9th, 2005, 20:20
The problem is that you'll be stepping on a lot of peoples toes that way. I'm pretty sure FR and other worlds are not 'open' for modules to be made in them other then from WoTC. If fact, you have to be carefull about what monsters you put in the module and make sure they are all in the SRD.

Probably the best thing to do is make it totaly generic so it will be adaptable for most worlds. Give a brief description of what kind of setting it was made for (small town, city, mountains, near a coast, etc) and then provide a non-world specific setting in case its being run as a one-shot or the dm wants to plug your creation into their world as is.

rv

Ya thats true, didn't consider copyright infringement but Forgotten Relams isnt under the OGL...

Then generic is probably best and leave it up to the DM to made modifications ( as they do anyway ).

The only way I can publish on this web site w/o a lawsuit is to publish in a generic format. Then thats what I will do.

Thanks for the replies!