PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Question

mbansol
April 6th, 2016, 06:46
OK, I am starting out on FG and I am pretty new to Dnd in general. I am building a module around the "Keep of the Borderland" One of my encounters is against a giant spider. The module has 2 giant spiders, but I didn't like the idea of having them team up because in RL. Spiders would often kill each other and you no longer have 2 spiders.

Anyways, I made a spider and it can "Cast" entanglement which isn't really a spell, it is just physically shooting spider web at PC's from a distance and if it hits it's target it crawls down bites/maybe poisons them and pulls them up into the tree with it.
So, my newbie confusion is the "Casting" of the web. I was thinking the most logical was Dex vs Dex save? Dex of the spider being able to out maneuver and target the PC maneuver vs. Maneuver. Or would it be better to do to hit AC vs.. saving throw using Dex? Let me know.

Zacchaeus
April 6th, 2016, 10:07
For what ruleset?

In any case I'd go with a Dex saving throw since I can set up an effect for that (in 5e at least but I'm sure that can be done in other rulesets too) and have it automate. But I can't do that with any other method.

jajen2003
April 6th, 2016, 13:54
If the web is large enough that the spider's accuracy becomes irrelevant, then I say have the PC attempting to dodge out of the way of the web make a Dex Save.

The DC of the save depends on the CR of the spider itself. If you want the spider more challenging, the DC should be higher. If the spider is a lesser threat, make the DC lower.

You could always go with a variable DC as well. If I want my monsters to have a varying degree of threat, I establish the DC by rolling a 1d6 or 2d4 and adding 10 to it. That way the combat is less predictable. Although, this completely undermines any CR rating system the ruleset may have established, but like I said, it makes combat less predictable and more exciting.

If the web is smaller and the spider's accuracy to hit the target is important, then roll a Dex attack for the spider vs. the PCs AC (which depending on the armor being worn, takes into account the PCs Dex mod).

You could make the web auto-hit every time and simply give it a Recharge condition. Meaning, the spider's web attack always hits, but... after each time it does, the spider needs to a roll a 6 on a d6 before the creature can use the auto-hit ability again. If you decide to make it an auto-hit feature, then you might want to reduce the impact of the effect, since chances are, the spider will hit with this attack at least 1-4 times in an encounter.

As the DM, you can change the Recharge die to anything you want. Typically it's d6 with a 6 recharging the effect. But you can allow a 5 or 6 recharge the effect, or use a d4 if you want more frequency or a d8 for less frequency.

Black Hammer
April 6th, 2016, 16:17
At the risk of being unhelpful, just have the webs make the area difficult terrain. A single monster encounter has fairly delicate pacing, due to action economy, so if you want it to feel a bit more meaningful, aim for a more narrative effect that forces the players to adapt. Making an area difficult terrain or having the encounter start with an ambushed player already webbed and being reeled in is likely more exciting than having it appear, blow it's first turn on a failed effect, then getting mulched.

This is more thematic than mechanical advice, which may not be what you want. Low level single monster encounters are tricky to balance.

mbansol
April 6th, 2016, 17:38
Thanks a lot, you all gave me some good ideas going forward!

Infinitum3d
April 8th, 2016, 16:51
I'd just do it as a ranged attack against the PC's armor class. A basic d20 roll to see if it hits since the AC already includes the DEX bonus/penalty.

Tony
Click here for a SoloPlay module! (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1141200191/the-lair-of-the-black-dragon)