PDA

View Full Version : Are there actions other than Dodge that should have an associated effect?

ffujita
April 6th, 2016, 01:33
I find that all of my 5e characters need a Dodge effect on the actions tab. I was wondering if there are other actions that have an associated effect that are not class specific and so wouldn't show up on the excellent series of Complete (class) characters.

jajen2003
April 6th, 2016, 01:46
I've made a few Global Effects that have been quite useful in the CT.

RA:Description of trigger and action. --Readied Action, toggle
Stealth DC: n --Stealth result for quick Perception check challenges, toggle
Recently Healed --For annotating the condition as a result of the Healer feat, toggle

Hope this helps. :D

gqwebb
April 6th, 2016, 02:30
I add a tools to the skill table. That way lock pick is covered among other things. And that goes with Dex. other tools go with other proficiency scores. But I always add the tool to the table.

Zacchaeus
April 6th, 2016, 10:24
I find that all of my 5e characters need a Dodge effect on the actions tab. I was wondering if there are other actions that have an associated effect that are not class specific and so wouldn't show up on the excellent series of Complete (class) characters.

Interesting, I don't think in any game that I've DM'd the players have ever dodged - apart from a rogue character as part of one of their abilities.

jajen2003
April 6th, 2016, 13:30
My players are definitely very tactical. Dodge becomes an integral part of their positioning and defenses strategy in combat. They use it often so they're not "wasting" an action, while keeping their defenses up as they move into position to strike.

Player: I'd like to move up and take a defensive stance.
GM: Sounds great, I'll throw you in Dodge.

But every group is different.

Other actions that my players use a lot are Push, Knock Down and Tumble. It's nice in 5E to have these extra combat action options for all players, instead of spec'ing into them via feats or class features.

It also encourages players to think beyond their character sheets and say what they want their characters to do, instead of always looking to the Actions tab.

GM: The two Umber Hulks stand before you, blocking your way to the throne room.
Player: Is there any opening where I can push past them or roll under them?
GM: Sure, your call, but you'd probably have better luck going between their legs.
Player: Ok, I'll give that a shot.
GM: Ok, so you're gonna Tumble, give me an Acrobatics check.

Baron28
April 6th, 2016, 16:40
That's rather interesting to hear Zacchaeus. The dodge action is used very frequently in games I run and it has proven to be quite effective when two fighters up front plug up a hallway enabling range attackers to fire at creatures from behind a wall of dodging meat shields. Also, the dodge action enables a character to make DEX saving throws at advantage which is a nice to have if you trip a trap.

Zacchaeus
April 6th, 2016, 18:12
My players are definitely very tactical. Dodge becomes an integral part of their positioning and defenses strategy in combat. They use it often so they're not "wasting" an action, while keeping their defenses up as they move into position to strike.

That's rather interesting to hear Zacchaeus. The dodge action is used very frequently in games I run and it has proven to be quite effective when two fighters up front plug up a hallway enabling range attackers to fire at creatures from behind a wall of dodging meat shields. Also, the dodge action enables a character to make DEX saving throws at advantage which is a nice to have if you trip a trap.

It's my players (my children). Their philosophy is generally that there's no point in having a big sword if you are not going to use it. When I started DMing they were all small children ranging from ages 7 to 12 so tactical nuances largely escaped their perception. For two out of the three of them this view hasn't changed much. The other one likes healing and crowd control :)

Calisto
April 6th, 2016, 18:22
I've made a few Global Effects that have been quite useful in the CT.

RA:Description of trigger and action. --Readied Action, toggle
Stealth DC: n --Stealth result for quick Perception check challenges, toggle
Recently Healed --For annotating the condition as a result of the Healer feat, toggle

Hope this helps. :D

These (plus "Tools" from gqwebb and "Dodge") sound really useful. I think my players (and I) forget about these options since they are not right in front of us. I am still getting my head around Effects in FG, do you have a screen shot with examples? It would be great to have a collection of these in a module!

Zacchaeus
April 6th, 2016, 18:41
These (plus "Tools" from gqwebb and "Dodge") sound really useful. I think my players (and I) forget about these options since they are not right in front of us. I am still getting my head around Effects in FG, do you have a screen shot with examples? It would be great to have a collection of these in a module!

You can find links to the wiki on effects and other effect examples in the sticked post (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?27296-Guides-videos-and-other-helpful-information) at the top of this forum.

You might also find the 'Complete package' series useful - also stickied (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?27296-Guides-videos-and-other-helpful-information)above.

As for the tools example I'd refer you to this wiki article (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Character_Sheet#Skills_Tab).

gqwebb
April 7th, 2016, 03:28

Just add it to the list here is a pic.

drakonin
April 8th, 2016, 22:04
Dodge is just mean as a DM, I have a player that rolled a high cha fighter, inspires the group, taunts the enemies then dodges. When the monk does it too I whiff most of my attacks :(