PDA

View Full Version : Ochre Jelly...

phogan88
April 5th, 2016, 21:49
I ran into an issue while the party was in combat with an ochre jelly. Much to my delight the barbarian in the group hit one of them with his axe splitting it in two. I suddenly found myself trying to figure out how to essentially reduce the one he hit down to half health (easy) and then add another to the tracker and reduce its health to 1/2 to create 2 meduim ochre jellies in place of the one large one. I ended up adding a second one to the encounter builder and hit the "down arrow" to add it to the combat tracker...I think that's where I screwed up as multiple ochre jellies were added instead of just one.

Is there a way to do this more gracefully? Could I have dragged the one from the encounter directly to the combat tracker? Or am I better off quickly creating another encounter with one ochre jelly and adding it separately?

Of course I could have created the encounter with twice as many creatures and only revealed the third and fourth if the first two were split...

In any case, I would love to hear if any others have encountered this and how you have dealt with it.

thanks,
Pete

Zacchaeus
April 5th, 2016, 22:01
The way I do this is to have more Jellies in a separate encounter with half health. Then when one of the main ones gets hit I delete it from the CT and add the two new ones, to the CT and then to the battlemap. This keeps the integrity of the CT correct, since it's easy to start placing stuff on the CT incorrectly so that automation doesn't occur.

Another way would be to have additional jellies in the same encounter and place them all on the CT but don't reveal the half health ones. This can get messy however.

Moon Wizard
April 5th, 2016, 22:46
I just reduce the health to half in the combat tracker, and then drag the link on the right side and drop on the tracker creating a new copy. (both with half hit points)

Regards,
JPG

Trenloe
April 5th, 2016, 22:47
You could also just drag the NPC record from the library directly to the combat tracker (CT). You don't need to put them in an Encounter first.

However, in this example, the simplest way is to copy the ochre jelly already in the combat tracker (CT). Click/drag the link icon on the right side of the entry in the CT and drop it in an empty section of the CT - an exact copy will be created. So, reduce the HP on the first one and drag/drop - quick and easy.

phogan88
April 6th, 2016, 01:35
Wow, the big guns came out to help! Thank you all for the replies! I didn't realize I could make a copy like that.

Zacchaeus
April 6th, 2016, 10:37
Wow, the big guns came out to help! Thank you all for the replies! I didn't realize I could make a copy like that.

Neither did I :)

So I've updated the Wiki article on the Combat Tracker to reflect this nugget of information.

callahan09
April 6th, 2016, 19:33
Very helpful information, here :) The more time I spend on these forums the more I learn, whether I knew I needed to know something or not haha.

hotline
April 7th, 2016, 01:14
This also seams like a good way for use of Mirror Image spell and Displacement. Just reduce the HP to 1.