PDA

View Full Version : Pasting formatting in Formatted Text Fields?

Hector Trelane
April 5th, 2016, 18:45
I suspect I'm not the first to ask this, but here goes anyway: I'm looking to cut/paste formatting in formatted text fields. This will help reduce editing work when creating Story entries, Items, and the like. (Another way to skin this cat would be to allow the creation of templates for formatting, but that would probably be more work than necessary.)

This even comes up in simple editing: if I want to cut/paste a paragraph and move it higher up or lower down in the same story entry window, I lose all the formatting.

Any GM find a work around on this? I'd benefit from tips. In the meantime, I've posted my ideas here to an existing Idea Informer entry: https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=40889

viresanimi
April 5th, 2016, 19:55
I have asked about this literally years ago. And nothing has happened with the issue of being able to copy / paste formatted text. I think it is a great idea, but compared to other issues, yeah its a minor thing that is not high on the priority list. And understandably so. I just hope that with all the bells and whistles of Unity, it will be a thing in the next iteration of FG. I have hopes on this issue, but not exactly betting on it.

Now. On the issue of templates. Stories entries in CoreRPG (and probably every ruleset built on it) can be duplicated by dragging and dropping the link in the story list. So that can actually save you a lot of time, in case you had missed that little detail. Personally I find it extremely useful!

I hope that can be of some help.

Vires Animi

Hector Trelane
April 5th, 2016, 20:32
Now. On the issue of templates. Stories entries in CoreRPG (and probably every ruleset built on it) can be duplicated by dragging and dropping the link in the story list. So that can actually save you a lot of time, in case you had missed that little detail. Personally I find it extremely useful!

Great tip. I'll use that!

Mortar
April 5th, 2016, 22:16
Not sure what is set up differently, when using the Enhanced Library Extension for Savage Worlds and editing a npc/personality under the "Main" heading the text formatting doesn't change if you change something and text moves up like it does when editing Story entries.

damned
April 6th, 2016, 00:33
Add it to the wishlist or upvote it if its already there.
Obviously editing the XML will retain your formatting in the moving already formatted text within FG but isnt easier than what you are doing...

My understanding is the biggest challenge to this is that external sources are usally quite dirty. They have so many non standard characters, fonts, layouts etc. FG works with only a small subset of formatting tags.

Hector Trelane
April 6th, 2016, 04:34
Add it to the wishlist or upvote it if its already there.
Obviously editing the XML will retain your formatting in the moving already formatted text within FG but isnt easier than what you are doing...

My understanding is the biggest challenge to this is that external sources are usally quite dirty. They have so many non standard characters, fonts, layouts etc. FG works with only a small subset of formatting tags.

I think I upvoted the right feature on the wishlist. Don't know XML yet... may play around with that soon.

The formatting I'm hoping to cut/paste is actually internal to FG: it's formatting I created in FG using standard options in a Formatted Text Field. When I cut-or-copy/paste the formatted text, paragraphs, and links, it all comes out as normal or body text block.

Hector Trelane
April 6th, 2016, 04:38
Yet another quirk to ask about: when navigating the cursor in formatted text fields (and only those fields), my page up and page down are inverted: up sends the cursor down and down sends it up. I thought it was a keyboard config issue but page up/down works normally in other fields and the chat box in FG.

Anyone else encounter this, and do you have a fix? A minor point, admittedly...

Zacchaeus
April 6th, 2016, 10:46
Yet another quirk to ask about: when navigating the cursor in formatted text fields (and only those fields), my page up and page down are inverted: up sends the cursor down and down sends it up. I thought it was a keyboard config issue but page up/down works normally in other fields and the chat box in FG.

Anyone else encounter this, and do you have a fix? A minor point, admittedly...

Indeed, you are correct. I'll report it since I'm not sure that's expected behaviour.

I don't think there's anything that can be done at this time regarding retaining formatting when copy/pasting however.

Moon Wizard
April 6th, 2016, 22:36
Wow, surprised that one has been around a while. Thanks for catching, will queue up for next patch.

Regards,
JPG

Hector Trelane
April 8th, 2016, 04:36
Another editing functionality wish list item: In Formatted Text Fields, allow Link List paragraph types to be incorporated into other Text Paragraph Types. I've just posted here as a new Idea Informer feature request: https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=102664