PDA

View Full Version : Persona the Pen and Paper Game (Minor Spoilers)

RageArmor
April 5th, 2016, 07:37
A while ago i made a post on the idea of taking the base of D&D, and adapting something complex like Persona & or the rest of the Shin Megami Tensei games to it. Haven't came up with much for it yet because i have been busy with other things, but this is what i've got so far the main bad guy, the secret string puller, the summoning conduits, and the location/setting.

Main Antagonist = Midgard Serpent (Aka) The World Eater.

Secret Antagonist/string puller = Ouroboros (Aka) The Dragon of Eternity.

Setting of the game & theme = America, leaning on more Nordic and Celtic Mythos.

Summoner conduits= cell phones

Basic plot: huge chunks of earth are mysteriously disappearing from world.

I've got alot of work to do before this concept becomes reality, but it will be totally worth it when it does. So what do y'all think about the basic idea i've come up with?

Black Hammer
April 5th, 2016, 16:47
Doubt I'd use D&D for it. D&D's mechanics are very tied to certain concepts like fixed class and level progression, ablative hitpoints, and armor as defense (rather than damage resistance), along with a traditionally very unbalanced set of classes (assuming you mean version 3.5 or Pathfinder, while 5th is pretty limited).

Something with more flexibility and controlled scaling, like Mutants & Masterminds (could easily build summons as independant entities), ORE's Wild Talents (more detailed rules for either constructing personas as either full entities or just templates that overlay base characters), or even Savage Worlds (representing the personas as they are in most of the games, merely granting extra powers that the characters can use). Savage Worlds is the simplest of these rulesets and ORE the most detailed, with M&M falling between the two.

I know someone who tried to do with with the Strange, essentially replacing foci with personas, but the system didn't have many mechanics in place to handle powers outside those the system was built for.

jshauber
April 5th, 2016, 17:06
I would have a look at all the material out for Savage Worlds and see about doing a blend of various systems to get what you want.

The Day Before Ragnarok has a lot of the Asgaard/Norse mythos included and is set at just post WWII. Blend that with Interface Zero 2.0 for the cell phones/technology and you might have a good starting point.

I am sure the SW officienados will have other ideas well. Plus SW is easily customizable and you can use the Library Creation Extension to make what you need in FG and have it available to share with players.

RageArmor
April 5th, 2016, 17:38
Doubt I'd use D&D for it. D&D's mechanics are very tied to certain concepts like fixed class and level progression, ablative hitpoints, and armor as defense (rather than damage resistance), along with a traditionally very unbalanced set of classes (assuming you mean version 3.5 or Pathfinder, while 5th is pretty limited).

Something with more flexibility and controlled scaling, like Mutants & Masterminds (could easily build summons as independant entities), ORE's Wild Talents (more detailed rules for either constructing personas as either full entities or just templates that overlay base characters), or even Savage Worlds (representing the personas as they are in most of the games, merely granting extra powers that the characters can use). Savage Worlds is the simplest of these rulesets and ORE the most detailed, with M&M falling between the two.

I know someone who tried to do with with the Strange, essentially replacing foci with personas, but the system didn't have many mechanics in place to handle powers outside those the system was built for.

I would have a look at all the material out for Savage Worlds and see about doing a blend of various systems to get what you want.

The Day Before Ragnarok has a lot of the Asgaard/Norse mythos included and is set at just post WWII. Blend that with Interface Zero 2.0 for the cell phones/technology and you might have a good starting point.

I am sure the SW officienados will have other ideas well. Plus SW is easily customizable and you can use the Library Creation Extension to make what you need in FG and have it available to share with players.

well more things for me to think about when i get done with base concept and story. for the time being i'm not to worried about what system i am going to use from FG, mostly because getting the base concept and story is going to take a very long time to get done. But thanks for the advice, makes my job easier later on.

damned
April 6th, 2016, 00:25