PDA

View Full Version : Can we get a "Minimize" button at top right of pop up windows next to the "X" button?

callahan09
April 5th, 2016, 03:12
I find myself constantly wanting to minimize popup windows rather than close them because I need to move things around and get access to different ones at time but I know I'll need to go back to it soon. Is there any way to get the minimize feature as a button on the top right of the window where the X to close it is? It's pretty annoying having to right click and select minimize from the radial menu every time.

Tying into the navigation features, it's really tough sometimes juggling so many windows, so maybe we could get a feature like alt+tab in windows or in Windows 10 the newer Task View feature, so you can see a preview panel with all your windows and you can choose which one to bring to the front.

There is also a problem I sometimes have with the combat tracker. Maybe I just don't know this part of the interface well enough yet, but if I'm not using tokens to simulate a miniatures and battlemaps tabletop (more theater of the mind kind of gaming), I feel like it should be possible to just use the combat tracker to do everything, with no tokens at all, and almost is possible, but with some complications. Specifically, there is an issue with setting the target when the screen can't fit both the targeting NPC and the targeted character in the same screen. Sometimes there are enough characters & NPCs in the combat tracker that I can't see two specific ones without scrolling up or down to find the target. But when you're dragging the target icon you can't scroll the window, so you can only drag it onto NPCs or creatures that are already visible in the window, and that isn't always possible. So how do I set the target in this situation?

I also wondered if we could get a text editing cursor for selecting text or placing the cursor at a specific point in text? This isn't as important, but I do find myself having a bit of difficulty with selecting text or getting the cursor where I want it sometimes without the standard I-beam cursor that I'm used to in most other applications on Windows.

Moon Wizard
April 5th, 2016, 03:32
Some thoughts to your questions/comments:

* I've been considering adding a minimize button to the windows next to the cancel. One of the reasons I haven't yet is that I'm not completely happy with the current minimize implementation of Fantasy Grounds. Please throw it on the wish list in my sig.

* For the combat tracker targeting, you can set/unset the targets of the active combatant (i.e. the one with the flag) by holding Ctrl key and clicking on the token picture on the left side.

* For the text editing, there is already a cursor that appears when you are editing text. It's a simple line, rather than an I-beam.

Regards,
JPG

callahan09
April 5th, 2016, 04:10
Oh, thanks for the fast response! I've added the wishlist item about minimizing. I agree that minimizing on FG is not perfect, but I like it in general, and it helps me to not completely close out windows I want to go back, but you have to minimize things or you get such a cluttered desktop that you can't effectively do much of anything. It takes too long to minimize something through the right-click menu, though. Way too long, in my opinion. I personally would like to add that just in general I kind of wish that windows in FG worked more like windows in, well, Windows OS. A more prominently obvious top menu bar type thing that has a close button, minimize button, and that clicking on allows you to move the window (I also find it kind of hard to get used to that I can move windows by clicking most anywhere inside the window, as long as it's not a field that wants to be used for drag & dropping).

For the combat tracking targeting, I strongly suspected that there must be a way to do it that I just hadn't figured out yet, so thanks for showing me the way! That is exactly what I needed, it's works perfectly!

For text editing, I don't see what you mean? I only see two different cursors, either a hand for drag & droppable items, or a pointer/arrow cursor for everything else. Even if I'm in text-editable fields, or in a Note even, the cursor is always the pointer/arrow unless it's drag & droppable. The drag & droppable fields are especially tough to manipulate because you can't do a click-and-drag to select a portion (or all) of the text, it just picks it up to drag & drop. But that isn't so bad, you just need to get used to that, but I do find it odd that I don't get any kind of text-select cursor when over text editable fields, the pointer/arrow doesn't work that bad OR that well for inserting the cursor to a specific part of text, but could be a lot better, bu the hand cursor that I have to use over text fields that are drag & droppable, that is really, really difficult to get the cursor to the right spot.

Edit: Oh, I see what you mean about the simple line cursor when editing text. OK, I can be on the same page as you on this, but hopefully I can explain how what I wanted is a bit different. The cursor you're talking about is more like what I'd call a caret that indicates where you are in the text as you're editing, that's very good to have that there. But what I was suggesting was that the actual mouse cursor be changed to something that makes it more obvious & precise where the editing caret is going to be placed if I was to click on the text. The hand and the pointer/arrow are cumbersome in this regard, but like in Windows OS for instance, my mouse cursor itself changes to an I-Beam when hovering over text, and this makes it very clear where my caret would be placed, or where my text selection would begin if I was to click at the location of the I-Beam cursor. Does that explanation make more sense?

damned
April 5th, 2016, 05:14
Hey callahan09 wrt lots of windows you might try (captain obvious here) closing some :)
Serious suggestion. I try and run with as few windows open as possible.
Combat Tracker and Current Map.
From Current Map I can click on Pined links to bring up story and encounters and then close them.
For stuff from reference books I drag the main ones to my Hot Key bars. When someone does something Im not sure about (eg spell or ability) I get them to look it up rather than me do it etc.
You might find things easier by being ruthless with your windows and eventually you will just open less :)