PDA

View Full Version : wrong internal IP

rexx
April 3rd, 2016, 20:00
How do I configure FG to use the IP I want on a machine not the one it decides to pick at random?
Thanks,
Rexx

Mortar
April 3rd, 2016, 20:37
FG is not picking one at random, your system tells FG what the current IP is.

rexx
April 3rd, 2016, 20:57
OK,

So how do I tell it to use the IP I would like to if there are multiple IPs on my system?
Thanks,
Rexx

Zacchaeus
April 3rd, 2016, 22:07
You need to go into your router and tell it to reserve the address you want it to send the information to. How you do that, exactly, will depend on what router you have but you should find it in LAN setup or some such area of the router setup menu.

damned
April 3rd, 2016, 22:29
FG is listening on all interfaces. If you have multiple IP Addresses on the one interface FG will probably be using the primary one. You cannot edit this info from within FG.

rexx
April 3rd, 2016, 22:35
I was hoping I would not have to open the port to all my internal addresses. Thanks for the help.
Regards,
Rexx

damned
April 3rd, 2016, 22:43
You only open the port to one address - unless you have multiple public ip addresses you cannot open the port to more than one internal ip address.

rexx
April 3rd, 2016, 23:45
I apologize if I misstated my intention. I have multiple IP addresses on my desktop. I do not want to open the port 1802 to everything on my internal network.
Further only one specific IP address on my desktop can route to my internet GW. The other IP addresses are internal to the virtual networks on the desktop that I use for virtualization.
So I would like to forward the port from the external world to my internal IP address. The problem is for some unknown reason FG has decided to bind to one of my virtual network interfaces not my internet facing interface/IP. That is why I would like to get FG to bind to a specific address.
The main issue here is the connectivity test is failing so I have way of knowing if people can actually connect to my campaign from the internet or not until it’s time to play a game. I would like to avoid having issues ahead of time.
Regards,
Rexx

Trenloe
April 3rd, 2016, 23:56
Check the connections order of your network interfaces in your Operating System. If it is windows it is available from the Advanced Networking menu. Put the network interface you want to use at the top of the "connections" list, reboot and see if that helps FG get the right IP address.

damned
April 3rd, 2016, 23:57
You cannot open TCP1802 up to more than one internal IP address unless you have more than one public IP address. You just cant. (this is always true using NAT/PAT).
NAT can only direct the incoming TCP 1802 traffic to an IP address on the same subnet as its internal interface (if your router/firewall has more than two interfaces it can do NAT to any directly connected subnet that it is doing NAT on).
FG is bound to all local IPs on that computer. Dont worry about which one is being reported by Fantasy Grounds - it is bound to your Nic, WLAN, VNic etc but can only report one IP.
If its failing then you have most likely one or more of these situations occuring:

1. Your NAT/PAT is not setup correctly
2. You have more than one router doing NAT.
3. You have a software firewall that is blocking the traffoc.
4. Your ISP is blocking the traffic.

If you want some direct assistance send me a PM.

rexx
April 4th, 2016, 01:02
You are all correct and I thank you for helping me. I thought I had configured windows firewall to allow FG through however it was not working because when I disable Windows firewall it works just fine.
Thanks again for all of your help.
Regards,
Rexx

Trenloe
April 4th, 2016, 01:11
Just to complete/expand on the info provided by damned. The Internal IP address shown in FG is used only when FG tries to automatically set port forwarding on your Internet router using UPnP. If you have manually configured your router for port forwarding then it really doesn't matter what Internal IP address FG shows as it won't be used for anything.

The external IP address is used for the alias functionality. FG sends the alias text (four words) and your external IP to the central Fantasy Grounds server so that when players use an alias it can be matched to your Internet IP address and they can connect.

damned
April 4th, 2016, 03:33
Ahhhh good point about the UPnP. For that you should do as Trenloe recommends and set the connections order as in post #9.

rexx
April 4th, 2016, 14:34
Thank you all for the help as it turns out the issue was not with the IPs on my desktop or even the firewall to my private network. In the end it was windows firewall even though I thought I had added permission for 1802 and FG. I was able to determine this while troubleshooting this by disabling windows firewall even though a rule existed to allow 1802 for FG.
Regards,
Rexx