PDA

View Full Version : Toggle Player View From GM mode

Nateks0492
April 2nd, 2016, 19:06
Hi,
Is there a way to toggle player view in Fantasy Grounds as a GM? When I'm designing campaigns, I'd like to be able to toggle player view to see what my players can see. Is this a possibility? If not, can it be added as a feature request?

LordEntrails
April 2nd, 2016, 19:34
No. You can start a second instance of FG, connect to your first using a server address of 'localhost'.

senjak
April 4th, 2016, 17:18
Multiple monitors rock for this.

Senjak

Hawker75
May 16th, 2016, 02:53
Or a really big tv. That's what I just switched to. It rocks!

damned
May 16th, 2016, 03:08
Or Windows 10 multiple desktop view.

Battlewear
July 30th, 2018, 22:32
Hey all, ok so I am in a bind here..

This is what I wanted to do, to have 2 copies of FG running on different monitors. We still play around the table, I have a monitor splitter so my current set up is laptop, 2nd monitor that mirrors a projector onto the table.

My plan, have laptop running FG DM, 2nd Screen/Projector running Player..

I have been trying to get a player copy running but it keeps wanting to go into the DM version.. What am I doing wrong? HELP PLEASE!
Im brand new to FG so probably a simple mistake, but I need to ask..

One further note. I am running the Steam version.. I did attempt to "download" the windows version but that didnt seem to make a difference.

Trenloe
July 30th, 2018, 22:37
On the second copy (not a second installation, just running FG twice) - "Join Game" with a server address of localhost

Note: The Steam version is just a front end to the normal version of FG, there's really no difference. Unless you're running on a Mac.

Moon Wizard
July 30th, 2018, 22:38
When you start the second instance of Fantasy Grounds on your machine, make sure you are choosing "Join Game" option, and using "localhost" as the server address. This will start the second instance as a player connection.

Regards,
JPG

Battlewear
July 30th, 2018, 22:51
How do I start a 2nd version? When I try to launch it says that I already have a version running.. I was just looking in the folders for an EXE file or something but dont see any (unless Im looking in wrong place)..

Trenloe
July 30th, 2018, 22:57
How do I start a 2nd version?
Right-Click on the icon of the running Fantasy Grounds application in the Windows taskbar and select "Fantasy Grounds" - it will start another instance.

Battlewear
July 30th, 2018, 23:38
I was able to get a 2nd version running by opening the settings window, then launching a 2nd app, while in settings it doesnt see the 1st version.. I will give the other method a try as well!!!!
Now I get to learn this program! Next - Learn how to change token size lol

LordEntrails
July 30th, 2018, 23:41
If you haven't already, I suggest you start with the User Manual and going through the tutorial campaign. There are also getting started videos. All of those resources might take you a little bit of time to get through, but it will save you lots of frustration and answer many of your potential questions. Plus in the end you will be more efficient.

And, though I think these forums are awesome, if you are looking for interactive support, the Discord channel is great for that.

damned
July 30th, 2018, 23:50
I was able to get a 2nd version running by opening the settings window, then launching a 2nd app, while in settings it doesnt see the 1st version.. I will give the other method a try as well!!!!

Set the grid first.
The drag your actors to the Combat Tracker and from the Combat tracker to the map.
Rarely should you have to change the token size after that.

If you haven't already, I suggest you start with the User Manual and going through the tutorial campaign. There are also getting started videos. All of those resources might take you a little bit of time to get through, but it will save you lots of frustration and answer many of your potential questions. Plus in the end you will be more efficient.

And, though I think these forums are awesome, if you are looking for interactive support, the Discord channel is great for that.

Yeah... start at the beginning... there are some fundamental you have to learn first.

Erin Righ
July 31st, 2018, 00:54

You should be able to run the exe directly by going to \SteamLibrary\Steam\steamapps\common\Fantasy Grounds\ and selecting it, it is called FantasyGrounds.exe