PDA

View Full Version : Missing Tokens

Meliath1742
April 2nd, 2016, 11:13
An odd thing happened during last nights game. I had placed a bunch of tokens on the map to represent various npc's prior to the session. When I shared the map the players couldn't see all of the tokens. It seemed random as to what tokens were missing to what players. I tried resharing, removing and dropping new tokens with no luck. The actual bad guys showed up as red squares on the map, representing a threat but with no actual token visible. Any ideas?

damned
April 2nd, 2016, 11:22
Have one of the players flush their cache and retry.
Are you on a wireless connection? possibly you are losing a small number of packets - not enough to realise that anything is wrong but it is not transferring all data to the players?
How big is the cache on a players computer?
Are you sharing anything that you shouldnt like the DMG or a full 5e adventure module?

Meliath1742
April 2nd, 2016, 11:36
I'm using an Ethernet connection. Its a Savage Worlds game and im sharing the usual players guide, nothing overly large. Missing packets was my first thought also but resharing didnt seem to help. What cache are you referring to?

Mask_of_winter
April 2nd, 2016, 11:39
On the join game screen there's a radioactive button top right, that's to clear player cache.

Meliath1742
April 2nd, 2016, 11:41
Every day is a learning experience! I had no idea...thanks guys, I'll check it out��

damned
April 2nd, 2016, 11:45
That will dump the players copy and force them to redownload it all.
If they play in lots of games and want to just clear your game they can do that manually by clicking the explorer icon and going to the cache folder and rename the appropriate campaign name.

Meliath1742
April 2nd, 2016, 11:50
I'm the only game in town for my current group so the reload option should be good. Thanks.

Meliath1742
April 2nd, 2016, 16:38
Ok, this was scary. Using my wife's computer I cleared out her cache. After a butt-load of various error messages (sorry, didn't capture them) and perhaps 4 or 5 attempts to reload FG I got her online. Sure enough, when I reloaded the map she was able to see all the tokens even as I deleted and dropped new ones on the map. So...it worked, but I'm not looking forward to having to go thru this with remote players with differing levels of computer savvy. Is it fairly normal to see error messages during this evolution?

damned
April 2nd, 2016, 23:40
why dont you try again and capture the error messages? this is usually caused by one of three things: wifi at player or gm end is dropping packets, norton 360 or similar AV is interfering (try disable for 15mins to test) or incorrect permissions on the fantasy Grounds data folder (Users or Everyone needs Write and Modify permissions).

Meliath1742
April 3rd, 2016, 01:20
Gulp! OK, I'll try it again but I suspect it's the permissions due to the avalanche of errors that occurred. Is it as simple as right clicking the data folder and changing permissions?

damned
April 3rd, 2016, 04:07
yes it is.
right click the fantasy grounds folder and choose properties > security. locate Users (or Everyone) and add Write and Modify permissions.

Meliath1742
April 3rd, 2016, 14:48
Ok, checked the permissions and they were all enabled. I disabled her antivirus (Avast) temporarily and retried deleting the cache and it came up "cache deleted" right away with no errors. So it looks like the antivirus was the culprit. Thanks for the help D!