PDA

View Full Version : What Do The Labels With People's Name On Posts Mean?

JuanWu
April 2nd, 2016, 02:42
Hello Everyone,

I've been lurking around these forums for a couple of week now, and I'd just like to say what a fantastic place I think this is. The Fantasy Grounds software is really great, and I really like what I've seen of the support provided by both the company and the volunteers - the Video Tutorials by damned and the others (I especially like Dulux-Oz's - they the bomb!) are especially useful and informative.

Dulux-Oz: When's the next one coming out? Surely you haven't stopped making them!

Actually, Dulux-Oz's Extensions also seem to be really useful as well. I'm surprised his functionality isn't part of the main system - God, I sound like such a stalker! I'm not, btw, just someone who can appreciate the time and effort that he's (I assume he's a he) has obviously put in to making videos and things for the community.

Now, apart from all this "love-fest", the main reason for my post. How the hell does this "Acolyte", "High Templar", "Immortal" stuff work - the stuff on the left of posts with people's names, etc?

I first thought they were labels to indicate a person's reputation, but this isn't the case because I've see "High Templars" with widely different reputation scores (as represented by the series of green boxes below these labels). Then I surmised that they were to do with how active a person was on the forums, as people with a similar number of posts seemed to have the same label. But this seemed to break down when looking at people with an "Immortal" label - there are some "Immortals" with lots of posts and some with only a few. Then I thought it might have to do with the amount of time someone's been a member - but again, this was quickly shown to be wrong.

So what are they supposed to mean, and what is a "Champion", a "Moderator" (I'm pretty sure I know what this one is, but there is only one person on the forums who has that label - surly there is more than one Mod?), is a "Developer" and in-house person or does that also include volunteer developers as well, and what is an "Immortal Saint" - there is only one of them I can see, as well - and I can't work out what makes that person so special (although I've shown myself to be a fan, above).

So, can someone please provide me with the answer - I know it's a minor thing, but it's starting to drive me nuts!

Thankyou

Juan

Nylanfs
April 2nd, 2016, 03:23
Welcome to the forums! And if we told you we'd have to kill you. :)

Skellan
April 2nd, 2016, 03:37
Hi and welcome to FG.

I don't know the answer either and now its driving me nuts too :D

Mask_of_winter
April 2nd, 2016, 03:42
Titles indicate the number of posts.
Immortal is for a user who's made an outstanding contribution to the community.
Champion is a title for user participating in the program to promote FG through social media, answering questions in the forums and running games.
Moderator is for moderators.
Developer is for the Smiteworks staff.

JuanWu
April 2nd, 2016, 04:39
Si, thankyou for the welcome and the answer (and look, I'm still alive)

So there is only one Moderator on the forums (there is only one person with the "Moderator" label) - I find that a little hard to believe. :)

And what about the "Immortal Saint"? How is that different from a 'regular' "Immortal"? And how is that different from a 'regular' "Saint" (as Skellan is)?

Thankyou

Juan
(Still slightly mystified)

Mask_of_winter
April 2nd, 2016, 04:50
Saint is an indicator of number of posts.
There are more than one moderator but if you only follow the 5e forums you're probably only aware of Zacc.

damned
April 2nd, 2016, 05:00
As advised by Nylanfs you will suffer the consequences of learning this knowledge...

You will note JuanWu that you are the 9th newest Acolyte in the mysterious Cult of Fantasy Grounds. Once you perform certain secret tasks and rituals which shall be communicated to you by code, your rank shall be increased. If you ever divulge the nature of these tasks or rituals or the names of those who assign them to you - make sure your affairs are in order. Your days will be numbered.

A certain few members have been the subject of internal power coups where the rabble attempted to rise up and over throw them. In defeating the rabble these members have taken for themselves the title of Immortal. This title cannot be given. It must be taken by the individual by whatever means are necessary. It is timely indeed that you should highlight the Immortal Saint at this time so close to Easter. It was initially thought that this member did not survive the uprising. There were many reports of his body lying broken whilst his mind was tortured mercilessly by his lessers. After three intensely painful days he returned to us in a blaze of glory bearing the honorific Immortal Saint. It is rumored that some powerful entities are jealous of his glorious beacon like radiance and are plotting a second coup against him. It is rumored that he has retreated to his mountain citadel to gather his strength in readiness of the upcoming battle.

JuanWu
April 2nd, 2016, 08:59
OK, now I'm completely confused and weirded out - what the hell is damned talking about???

Juan

Mask_of_winter
April 2nd, 2016, 09:13
ok, now i'm completely confused and weirded out - what the hell is damned talking about???

Juan
lol

Doswelk
April 2nd, 2016, 10:26
OK, now I'm completely confused and weirded out - what the hell is damned talking about???

Juan
As our Champion Immortal pointed out you will understand once the secret tasks and rituals have been communicated to you, in the mean time just assume that the ranks are based on the number of posts and that the title of Immortal means Moderator/Ruleset Designer/Awarded to individuals for outstanding services on the forums/or in my case being incredibly handsome.

:P

Zacchaeus
April 2nd, 2016, 11:06
Damned, you naughty Aussie. You shouldn't be winding them up you know :)

damned
April 2nd, 2016, 11:20
In my defense I am delirious with the man flu.

Skellan
April 2nd, 2016, 11:27
Hilarious.

Though I want to be troublemaker rather than saint :P

Mortar
April 2nd, 2016, 16:00
As our Champion Immortal pointed out you will understand once the secret tasks and rituals have been communicated to you, in the mean time just assume that the ranks are based on the number of posts and that the title of Immortal means Moderator/Ruleset Designer/Awarded to individuals for outstanding services on the forums/or in my case being incredibly handsome.

:P

That is so not what she said.....

Doswelk
April 2nd, 2016, 17:00
That is so not what she said.....

I am allowed to be deluded am I not?

ffujita
April 2nd, 2016, 21:42
As someone who was the question asker last time round, the answer is, They don't want to tell you, because then you (and me and others) will specifically do those things just to get that title to change, and they don't want us to do it. I'm pretty sure it has to do with number of posts, and number of reputation "thumbs up"s.

JuanWu
April 3rd, 2016, 11:40
So you are all having a laugh at poor Juan's expense? It appears the "powerful entities" might be capricious as well - oh, well, I'll wait for the "mysterious instructions" :)

Until them, I'll continue to "stalk" Dulux-Oz and wait with much anticipation for his next video or extension - surly such a blessed, Saintly Immortal will lavish gifts upon those who would sit at his feet and learn from his great wisdom, even if they are only lowly Acolytes or Templars? And low, when the time comes when he shall emerge from his mountain citadel and do battle with and strike down the jealous powerful entities who wish his downfall, those who would fight in his glorious name will be lifted up and awarded with their own honorifics - perhaps even as high as Demi-Immortal themselves!

See, Juan too can share the joke - even if he's not as handsome as Doswelk - or as deluded :p

Juan

damned
April 3rd, 2016, 12:53
Having a laugh friend but not at your expense :)
What sort of games do you play? Have you signed up for anything at FG Con for next weekend? Lots of good games going and most are beginner (RPG or FG beginner) friendly.

https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/fgcon8-banner-03a.jpg (https://www.fg-con.com/events/)
FG Con 8 – Invite A Friend April 8-10th 2016
Register at www.fg-con.com (https://www.fg-con.com/) for all the latest info.

midas
April 3rd, 2016, 22:20

I'd tell you but I've already died once.

Mortar
April 3rd, 2016, 22:27
So you are all having a laugh at poor Juan's expense? It appears the "powerful entities" might be capricious as well - oh, well, I'll wait for the "mysterious instructions" :)

Until them, I'll continue to "stalk" Dulux-Oz and wait with much anticipation for his next video or extension - surly such a blessed, Saintly Immortal will lavish gifts upon those who would sit at his feet and learn from his great wisdom, even if they are only lowly Acolytes or Templars? And low, when the time comes when he shall emerge from his mountain citadel and do battle with and strike down the jealous powerful entities who wish his downfall, those who would fight in his glorious name will be lifted up and awarded with their own honorifics - perhaps even as high as Demi-Immortal themselves!

See, Juan too can share the joke - even if he's not as handsome as Doswelk - or as deluded :p

Juan

That great one has set forth on a journey of enlightenment beyond the realm of us mortals. It is unknown when he will return and spread his blessings upon us again.

As for Doswelk, being deluded is the least of his problems...

Doswelk
April 4th, 2016, 01:27
So you are all having a laugh at poor Juan's expense?
Most definitely not at you, with you, yes, but never at anyone

Dulux-Oz has ascended to the next plane of existence, we do not know alas if we will ever see him again...

No one can be as deluded as me :rv:

JuanWu
April 4th, 2016, 02:28
:) Juan not take offense - just getting into the spirit of the community (and thankyou for allowing me too).

Damned: DnD/Pathfinder, Shadowrun3, Paranioa, WFRP, MERP, Deadlands, Deadlands: Hell on Earth, Dragon Warriors - a whole bunch of things, really. No, I haven't signed up for anything at FG-Con, but I am considering it.

Mortar/Doswelk: What? He's dead? Is that what you mean? Oh wow, I'm so sorry to hear that - he'll be surely missed :(

Juan

Nylanfs
April 4th, 2016, 02:43
No, Dulux has left the community

JuanWu
April 4th, 2016, 10:29
What? How come?

Edit: Oh, I just found his farewell post - what did you people do? (Not making accusations - genuinely curious) What happened? :confused:

Juan

Ken L
April 4th, 2016, 12:16
What? How come?

Edit: Oh, I just found his farewell post - what did you people do? (Not making accusations - genuinely curious) What happened? :confused:

Juan

From what it sounds like, he was exhausted from doing a large amount of community work. It's easy to become bitter when it feels like you're 'working' when you should be having fun. I tend to take a slacker approach to things I buy into. I mean if I bought something, I should ideally have most of the features I want already so I can just relax and do a few things here and there when I want to. I shouldn't feel as if I'm a crowd sourced developer, building features to funnel more people in. Some people do get a 'high' off the reputation, but most I wager just want to play their games.

I do work for a few FOSS projects, but I never had to buy the privilege to contribute to them *cough roll20*.

ddavison
April 4th, 2016, 14:36
I've spoken with him personally. I suspect he will be back at a future date. I won't go into details for privacy, but I would be surprised if he didn't return at some point after a break from gaming. He is a welcomed community member and contributor.

JuanWu
April 5th, 2016, 03:04
It's good to know he'll be back - thankyou ddavison

Juan

Nyghtmare
April 6th, 2016, 05:47
Titles indicate the number of posts.
Immortal is for a user who's made an outstanding contribution to the community.
Champion is a title for user participating in the program to promote FG through social media, answering questions in the forums and running games.
Moderator is for moderators.
Developer is for the Smiteworks staff.
Here is a list of the additional titles beyond these assigned ones (not gonna post anything regarding the post counts, though):

Acolyte

Adept

Devotee

Crusader

Warrior-Priest

Zealot

Templar

High Templar

Grand Templar

Patriarch

High Patriarch

Grand Patriarch

Saint

Demi-god

They were easy enough to figure out... only took me about an hour, and that is because I was figuring out some of the post count information.

Math and stats is kinda my thing. ;)

Hector Trelane
April 6th, 2016, 08:33
Here is a list of the additional titles beyond these assigned ones (not gonna post anything regarding the post counts, though):

Acolyte

Adept

Devotee

Crusader

Warrior-Priest

Zealot

Templar

High Templar

Grand Templar

Patriarch

High Patriarch

Grand Patriarch

Saint

Demi-god

They were easy enough to figure out... only took me about an hour, and that is because I was figuring out some of the post count information.

Math and stats is kinda my thing. ;)

Thanks Nyghtmare. I was wondering about this, too.

I will now start spamming every thread with insightful comments such as, "Cool!" and "Me too!" and "So, how about doing a Cthulu-Star Wars mashup in this ruleset?" I'll be a Saint in no time.

P.S. ;)

damned
April 6th, 2016, 10:40

I will now start spamming every thread with insightful comments such as, "Cool!" and "Me too!" and "So, how about doing a Cthulu-Star Wars mashup in this ruleset?" I'll be a Saint in no time.

P.S. ;)

Aim high my friend! There might just be a title above Demi-God that we havent discovered yet...

ffujita
April 6th, 2016, 11:38
I just want to say, to those assigned the task of killing those with forbidden knowledge, I didn't see the above post.

damned
April 6th, 2016, 12:01
I just want to say, to those assigned the task of killing those with forbidden knowledge, I didn't see the above post.

I suppose you are one of those people ignoring that other thread too? :)

JuanWu
April 6th, 2016, 12:08
I know I am! :)

Nyghtmare
April 6th, 2016, 18:25
I suppose you are one of those people ignoring that other thread too? :)
There is another threead?

Nyghtmare
April 6th, 2016, 18:26

P.S. ;)
You are about 1,800 posts away from Sainthood — so beware typer's cramp. ;)

Nyghtmare
April 6th, 2016, 18:28
Aim high my friend! There might just be a title above Demi-God that we havent discovered yet...
The highest post count for someone without any non-posting type titles (immortal, champion, moderator, or developer) that I came across when I was doing the quick browsing last night was over 3,000. If there is indeed a level beyond demi-god, it must be like 10,000 or even ridiculously larger than that. ((o..O))