PDA

View Full Version : Standard Subscription - Free 30 Day Trial - Connection Test FAILURE

coreyvw65
April 1st, 2016, 22:21
Should the Connection Test pass with the Free 30 Trial license? I load the demo campaign then hit Test Connection and it fails.

Nylanfs
April 2nd, 2016, 00:43
Did you also open port 1802?

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?4279-FG-Knowledge-Base-Firewalls

coreyvw65
April 2nd, 2016, 01:16
I did not. I have a modem in the house and a hard wired wireless router in my shop. I was not sure which device I needed to configure. Before I really dug in I thought I'd check here before trying something that isn't even supposed to work in the free trial version.

LordEntrails
April 2nd, 2016, 02:05
The connection test should work with the demo version. Let us know if you need help configuring your firewall.

damned
April 2nd, 2016, 04:13
You also only need the Connection Test to work if you are going to be the GM.
Either way, in the interim, you can still load the Demo Campaign and play with it you just cant accept any player connections until the test works.

coreyvw65
April 2nd, 2016, 04:39
Ahh thank you all. Yes, I am the DM and I want to test with a friend in Germany tomorrow. My last issue was that I need my username and password for my modem or router before I can even think about the port.

damned
April 2nd, 2016, 04:48
Some routers will autoconfigure.
Many will not. If it doesnt autoconfigure you will need those details or you will need a service like Hamachi or a VPN service like HideMyAss.com

Ken L
April 3rd, 2016, 00:49
Check the back of the router (or bottom), most ISP routers print the login information there. My verizion router for instance has the default wifi-password printed on the front. But the default login for the security page is on the bottom. I'm assuming you've never had to access these settings before so they should be default.

coreyvw65
April 5th, 2016, 04:53
Did it!! My wireless in the shop was inconsequential. It was the xfinity set up. I found the credentials to get in and followed info from this forum and the port forwarding from my provider and bam! Thanks for your responses. My next step is to see if my very non-technical friend in Germany can get on. I hope he doesn't need to do much on his end.

damned
April 5th, 2016, 05:00
Your non tech savy friend in Germany is in luck coreyvw65 - you have done all the hard work. You just need to give him your Alias or External IP and he/she should be able to connect :)
Well done!

coreyvw65
April 5th, 2016, 05:12
My testing with two applications (one running the GM Screen, the other trying to join) on one machine is not working. It works with RPTOOLS. It gives the stop sign error telling me to check my address. It's correct.

damned
April 5th, 2016, 05:17
When connecting from the same computer use address localhost
When connecting from the same LAN or network use address Internal IP
When connecting from a different network or the Internet use address External IP or Alias

coreyvw65
April 5th, 2016, 05:26
Oh Yeah! Like magic. Thanks damned. (poor soul)

coreyvw65
April 6th, 2016, 21:22
Right now I have the demo. Tested great at home with two open programs. I want my other player to try it now. What does he download. IF he downloads the demo and I buy a license, does he just stick with the demo or is there a player version?

Moon Wizard
April 6th, 2016, 22:32
He can download directly from the web site to get the installer for all versions. If he ends up buying a license, he can just enter the license key in the Settings and re-update the software to get the Standard version.

Regards,
JPG

Nylanfs
April 7th, 2016, 01:12
Note, unless you buy a ultimate license when he connects it will kick both of you into Demo mode and you can't save your campaign.

Trenloe
April 7th, 2016, 01:33
Note, unless you buy a ultimate license when he connects it will kick both of you into Demo mode and you can't save your campaign.
This is generally true... However, if the GM has the "standard" licence ("full" in old terminology) their campaign will switch to demo mode and not allow any further demo/free licences to join, but the campaign will save data. If the GM is running a demo/free licence then the campaign won't save.

damned
April 7th, 2016, 02:22
So you could run a One player campaign with a single Full license?

Trenloe
April 7th, 2016, 02:24
So you could run a One player campaign with a single Full license?
Indeed.

Nylanfs
April 7th, 2016, 03:04
Oh, I thought it switched to full demo mode. That's good to know. :)

coreyvw65
April 7th, 2016, 03:42
Thanks again. I will look at licensing. Right now I am going through the STORY tutorial. The mouse is a bit laggy compared to the environment external of FG, looking to see if there is a setting.