PDA

View Full Version : ? b4 i buy

gavalon
May 6th, 2005, 19:02
Im about to buy the GM version of the game and i was just wondering on how it starts up. Does it start or do u log in or something.

I live in 2 places (school and home) so i have a laptop and a desktop. Will i be able to install FG on both so I can use it on the respective computer?

When im at my house, will FG run on both computers so i can test my rule sets on a CLOSED lan?

AndyPan
May 6th, 2005, 20:40
I have the full version installed at home and on my work computer. You CAN install and run the program on two computers, but they will NOT talk to each other. I would have to assume that this is to keep you from buying one copy and giving the program and the activation key to your players. I installed it on my work computer so that I can work on making my own modules on down time here, then email myself the files to put in the home version.

If you're curious to see how both ends work, I would suggest working with the demo. Since it's more or less open to use, you'll be able to play both sides, but you won't be able to create your own adventure until you purchase the full version.

gavalon
May 6th, 2005, 20:49
so i would have to buy two copies in order to try out my own campains?

AndyPan
May 6th, 2005, 22:12
That's my thinking, though I could be wrong. I only bought my copy a couple days ago. But I tried to get home computer to hook in as a player (via PC Anywhere) to the work computer, and got an error about the registration key. I was able to hook into the home PC on the laptop, but that was with the demo version on both computers.

If you're looking to test-run your own adventures, my thinking is you'll need, at the very least, the Lite version of the software. Unless someone else has any ideas...

AndyPan
May 6th, 2005, 22:16
I was going to add that you might be able to run the demo as a player and use the full version as GM, but I just remembered that the night I bought the program, I tried to get my friend to hook into the game, and he was getting version errors. So that's going to work either. Sorry!

Ged
May 6th, 2005, 22:27
In short, you need two licenses to use two instances of Fantasy Grounds on separate computers. From a single computer you can connect to 'localhost' so you can see what is the outcome of the Gamemaster actions on the player side and vice versa. And as AndyPan pointed out, the demo version is not compatible with the other licenses.

Nayr
May 7th, 2005, 17:56
If you want a tester, I would gladly help you test it out, i have a lot of spare time, i am usually on by 3:30pm on weekdays and on weekends around 10am...soon i will be able to get on at 10am on both weekdays and weekends since school is almost out for summer!