PDA

View Full Version : What problems are you having streaming sounds to your players?

Talley Darkstar
March 31st, 2016, 09:29
So myself and another user from Syrinscape are looking to squash any roadblocks streaming has come up. Since I haven't seen any serious issues come up here or Syrinscape, I highly doubt there are to many, if any, but just in the off hand chance I wanted to get some information from you on problems that you've had streaming music to your players. We both are FG and Syrinscape fans and want to make both products work well together. Even if you don't use Syrinscape, what problems are you having streaming?

Skellan
March 31st, 2016, 12:36
Just my opinion, but I have found that ambient sound or music is great when it is good, and very bad when it is bad. I am still experimenting with getting it right myself. Hearing is a powerful sense and can really help to draw players into the environment or enhance mood with music. In my home game I use intro theme music while I do the recap, it helps to give the session a clear beginning and it also gives people an auditory link to the game.
However, when ambient sounds are bad they are distracting and they do more harm than good. Rousing battle music isn't what you need for quiet moments around the camp fire and monsters growling when there aren't any in game pulls people out of it. Syrinscape is a great tool but I think it can be a bit over the top in parts.
Where I am at with sounds at the moment is to prep the sounds beforehand (syrinscape is brilliant at mixing sounds) and make sure it is not too loud. A tip I got from *Trenloe* is to let the players adjust the sound levels themselves as it probably comes out at different volumes, that way they can set it at a level that suits them.

kylania
March 31st, 2016, 16:25
My main problem is getting it to go across Mumble. There's far too much extra programs and changing of what virtual line in goes to what virtual microphone to output to what virtual speaker to install this on my main machine. My poor laptop has died as well, so that's causing me problems. :) Just wish there was a quick way of pressing a button and having it come through my microphone without extra software and drivers.

Trenloe
March 31st, 2016, 16:49
I use ambient music/SFX all the time - including Syrinscape, Windows Media Player, VLC, etc..

I use an old laptop that runs a TeamSpeak connection into the TeamSpeak server, but you can also setup another channel tab in the same TS client. I suppose it just depends what voice client you're using and how your setup is at home.

The issue you'll have is that Syrinscape outputs to the Windows default audio playback device and any voice application (TeamSpeak, Mumble, Skype, etc.) accepts input on a recording device (e.g. a microphone channel). As such, you'll more than likely need some kind of virtual audio application to allow you to output the Syrinscape audio onto a "virtual" microphone which is then used as the audio input to TeamSpeak or whatever voice application you're using.

A lot of info can be found in the links here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?21761-Playing-Aids&p=182730&viewfull=1#post182730

If you have any specific questions please come back to this thread.

Ken L
March 31st, 2016, 17:48
I just use my native pulseaudio that comes standard in mint/debian.

I basically launch two instances of teamspeak, and then by using pavcontrol, set the recording source of my music instance of team speak to my bose speaker system. Next I mute my speaker system physically and set the playback sources for my sound inputs into my bose speaks. Since they're muted I don't hear it, but the line is active and is recorded by teamspeak for seamless broadcasting.

https://i.imgur.com/h0Tqd8W.png
https://i.imgur.com/1Qi5gPS.png

Some things, like manual sound control are easier in linux nowadays. I can pipe any number of applications in this fashion to play out to my speaker system and the mixed stereo is set over the wire with little distortion (pending bandwidth).

midas
April 1st, 2016, 14:26
I never deleted my Roll20 account so I just have my players log in there for ambient audio--until FG has that kind of functionality anyway. :)

Nylanfs
April 1st, 2016, 15:36
Have you seen the OBS streaming thread? They suggest ways to use Roll20 with video and audio.

dberkompas
April 1st, 2016, 20:43
I've had great success using Screaming Bee's MorphVox, not only for changing my voice to reflect the character that players are talking too, but also for sounds effects and ambient backgrounds.

Talley Darkstar
April 2nd, 2016, 06:54
Great information everyone. Thanks, and once things become a little more polished, I'll be sure to keep everyone informed.