PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Grounds Crashing on Startup

MonkeyLink07
March 31st, 2016, 02:28
When I try to start Fantasy Grounds, the application crashes. It will run once successfully when I restart my computer, but will crash randomly during use. The only way to get it to run properly is to restart my computer, and hope it doesn't crash or I turn the application off. If the application exits for whatever reason it will crash on startup every single time until a fresh restart.

I've checked, and the FantasyGrounds.exe program is no longer running, neither is any process I could find related to the game at all. I have completely uninstalled the game and removed all files related to the game and reinstalled both through Steam and the downloader from the website. Neither did anything and both have still just crashed on startup. I have tried verifying the local cache on steam, running as an administrator, updating, running the update as an administrator, switching to my good graphics card, switching to my integrated graphics card, and that's about everything that I can think of.

The information from the crash is:
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: FantasyGrounds.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 56cb80cf
Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.19045
Fault Module Timestamp: 56258e62
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00042e5b
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

I would greatly appreciate getting this running as soon as possible, thanks for any help!

damned
March 31st, 2016, 07:48
Hopefully Moon Wizard will see this thread.
Is there anything else running that might be conflicting? Can you try unloading or disabling your AV for 10mins to test?
Can you post the Application and Data paths (you can remove your name from them)?
Can you check what permissions you have to those folders?
What ruleset are you using? What happens if you load up CoreRPG only?
Are you the GM or Player?
As close as you can tell exactly where in the startup process is it crashing?
What OS and version?

Moon Wizard
March 31st, 2016, 18:36
I see the thread, but definitely need some of the data that damned is asking for. The bits of data in the crash dialog are rarely helpful, so it's more about figuring out what is unique on your system or installation. I'll probably ask a lot of what damned already asked above.

* Which OS and version are you running on? (Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7, Mac, Linux, etc.)
* Did you install from Steam or from the web site?
* Are you running any anti-virus software? (Norton, McAfee, etc.)
* If you go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Fantasy Grounds, can you run UpdaterEngine.exe directly? (This is the installer/updater/settings app.)
* Please provide the settings for your FG application and data directory path from the updater/settings app.
* Navigate to the FG data directory folder on your machine, right click, choose Properties, then Security tab, and make sure your current user has full control rights (or add Everyone group)
* After you install and run the first time, do you do anything in the launch screen or just shut down, before testing for startup crash condition?

Regards,
JPG

MonkeyLink07
March 31st, 2016, 22:28
I'm using Windows 7 SP1.
I have tried a clean install from both Steam and the website, both act exactly the same.
I'm only running Microsoft Security Essentials.
I can run UpdaterEngine.exe, it shows no new updates.
Application path:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Fantasy Grounds
Data path:
C:\ProgramData\Fantasy Grounds

I have deleted these files with every clean install as well as removing the program from steam and the Add/Uninstall programs list. I have also tried using folders in different locations, but it still did the same thing.
I have full access to all of the folders, I am an administrative user and the only user on my computer.

There are two places it is crashing:
1) IF I have restarted my computer, or have not opened the game since it has been restarted, it will open, but crash during use after a random amount of time during normal use. It does not matter how long the computer has been on or what I have been doing, it always acts the same.
2) After I have opened the game and either successfully close it or it has crashed on me, it will crash whenever I first try to start FantasyGrounds.exe, either from Steam or from the normal executable, both being run normally and as an administrator. It does not even get to the launch screen, it just says that the program crashed.

damned
April 1st, 2016, 01:53
What rulesets are you using?
What extensions loaded?
Roughly how long until that first crash?

GM or Player?

MonkeyLink07
April 1st, 2016, 02:50
I'm not sure what ruleset we're using, and no extensions if they're anything that doesn't come with with the initial download/install. It's usually a random time, anywhere between 5 and 30 minutes. I am just a player.

damned
April 1st, 2016, 02:54
Sent you a PM.

MonkeyLink07
April 1st, 2016, 04:24
The ruleset we've been playing is 5e.

MonkeyLink07
April 7th, 2016, 02:12
Tried the game again this week. The first time trying to connect to a game, any game gave me an error that one .lua file was expecting a string and god a Boolean. I tried reinstalling the game and now I have the same problem as last week. I will leave my computer on so that if we go through the same troubleshooting steps the actual error can be seen.

damned
April 7th, 2016, 02:15
I sent you a PM...