PDA

View Full Version : Is this effect possible, or is there another solution?

Koreapsu
March 30th, 2016, 15:08
I have a player in a CoS campaign I'm about to start that will be playing a Frankenstein's monster type race. The vulnerability to fire and resistance to cold haven't been a problem but now we're stuck.

Is it possible in any way to have lightning damage apply to temporary hit points or heal him? Ideally he would be immune to lightning and the damage amount would be applied to temporary hit points, but any kind of heal based on damage would work.

Obviously we could just make him lightning immune and manually add the health or temp health, but if we can automate it then all the better.

Any ideas?

Zacchaeus
March 30th, 2016, 15:27
Unfortunately you can't do this automatically since there's no correlation between damage and healing. What you can do is when the PC gets hit by lightening is drag the damage that is rolled and drop it back into chat and then drag that into temporary hit points or drag while holding down CTRL to heal them. This won't be perfect because you could for example get the situation where the PC takes 10 points of damage and only has 5 wounds. The wounds would be 'cured' but they wouldn't then gain any temp hp. So some manual manipulation will be needed.

Of course if the lightning will only heal rather than give them any temp hp then the CTRL-drag thing will work fine.

hagrid70
March 31st, 2016, 05:18
thank you for that feedback sir. is there no possibility of applying a negative multiplier to the dammage.... in the same way that resistance or vulnerability halves or doubles dammage, can we change (for example) a vulnerability multiplier from x2 to x-1 and therefore add it.

Zacchaeus
March 31st, 2016, 11:36
No you can't apply a negative to a multiplier that I'm aware of. But maybe we are talking at cross purposes.

As I understand it your PC is going to be invulnerable to lightning. Also if she gets hit by lightning it will in fact heal her or give her temporary hit points if she is already at full health. Are you proposing to actually double that healing or temporary hp? If so then what I described above will work if you just drag the result in twice.

hagrid70
March 31st, 2016, 11:47
thanks again for your reply. no currently its just one for one temp HPs, but not knowing jack about the coding behind the effects library, i just figured that IF it was possible to 'get at' effects like vulnerability and resistance, then we could clone the effect, rename it, rescript the x.5 or x2 and the (-1) multiplier would turn dammage into healing. apparently youre a bit of a sage when it comes to effects and things, so i appologise for wasting your time :D i believe we will just handle it manually to keep combat turns up to speed where applicable.
thanks again.