PDA

View Full Version : Way To Add Manage Characters

Xydonus
March 30th, 2016, 14:18
This concerns the 40k ruleset specifically but I think the question itself can be applied to any ruleset; How exactly can I add the function to a ruleset that allows the players to use the Manage Characters feature? The 40k Dark Heresy ruleset doesn't support it so I was wondering if it was easy enough to add it myself?

Trenloe
March 30th, 2016, 17:04
It all depends on the ruleset itself, as there can be code that is specifically set for GM or player - and the code may not make allowances for manage characters.

What isn't working in manage characters?

Xydonus
March 31st, 2016, 00:21
Well soon as they click on Manage Characters, it crashes instantly for them. It was also stated in the Dark Heresy thread that the ruleset doesn't support the feature, and I was wondering if there was a way to add this myself.

Trenloe
March 31st, 2016, 05:57
The WH40KDarkHeresy ruleset? It doesn't crash for me when I start it in manage characters. Does it crash for you?

Anyway, if the ruleset thread doesn't mention why it isn't supported in Manager Characters then it might just be a case of trying to use it and finding areas that don't work - simple trial and error and then look at the code behind it. It won't be a simple process, unless there are only one or two places that need changing.

Trenloe
March 31st, 2016, 06:03
Are you using this ruleset: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20048-Warhammer-40K-Dark-Heresy-Ruleset-for-FG-3-0-Created I can't find any mention of Manage Characters not being supported.

Xydonus
March 31st, 2016, 07:48
Yeah that's the one - I did a google search however before on the Managing Characters and came across this that led me to believe it was not supported, although this is a different version.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?19724-New-Warhammer-40k-Dark-Heresy-Ruleset-Created

"Note: This ruleset only works if you create a campaign for it. This ruleset (like most others) does not support the offline "Manage Characters" aspect at this time. "

And yeah, the manage characters feature works for me fine. It just refuses to work for any of my players and instantly crashes for them.

Trenloe
March 31st, 2016, 17:16
And yeah, the manage characters feature works for me fine. It just refuses to work for any of my players and instantly crashes for them.
Can they use manage characters with other rulesets? Like CoreRPG?

I've just tried with my unlicensed copy of FG and it worked for me fine too (as well as a standard license). I'm thinking this might be an example of the file access issues experienced by some users and not specific to this ruleset. As a quick check you could ask one of the players to start FG as administrator (right-click on the startup icon and select "run as administrator") and then try manage characters. If that works then they have the file access issue and can try one of the three options listed here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?30604-Windows-file-access-issues-can-t-update-campaigns-not-saving-etc-Fix-options

Nylanfs
March 31st, 2016, 17:38
Can they manage the characters if they don't have the ruleset on the player side?

Trenloe
March 31st, 2016, 18:03
Can they manage the characters if they don't have the ruleset on the player side?
They won't even see the option to select the specific ruleset if it isn't installed.

Unless they're using a previous campaign in the player cache, which will include the ruleset info downloaded from the GM when playing in the campaign.

Xydonus
March 31st, 2016, 18:29
Cheers Trenloe, I'll try that with them. Now I should have mentioned in my first post I modified the ruleset, but I don't think the modifications should have any effect. Could be wrong on that.

All I did was essentially change the names of some of the tabs (cause I'll be using this for 2nd edition Warhammer Fantasy) so things like Psychic now say Spells, stuff like that.

Trenloe
March 31st, 2016, 18:33
Now I should have mentioned in my first post I modified the ruleset...
Whaaaaat?!? Now you tell me?!?

;) Only joking. If it works OK for you with manage characters then it probably isn't the ruleset - unless they downloaded a corrupt/incorrect copy.

Xydonus
March 31st, 2016, 18:39
Hehe... Ok so I got one of my non-players to try it. Loaded it up, he came in and selected a character I made so he'd have ownership. Exited. Loaded up FG as admin and went to Manage Characters. Instant crash. So I ask him to do the same with the Star Wars Edge of the Empire community ruleset (which he is a player in) and again, crash instantly... *scratches head*

The SW ruleset manage option works perfectly for me. They are all free users btw, using the demo. But I understand that shouldn't matter, right?

I'm genuinely puzzled.

Xydonus
March 31st, 2016, 18:43
I'm going to try DnD 5E and CoreRPG to see. I'll post when that's done.

Trenloe
March 31st, 2016, 18:43
Is this the player selecting a campaign they've previously joined or selecting the base ruleset? There are two options within Manage characters - working on the base ruleset (no campaign data) or selecting a previously played campaign and accessing the character from that campaign.

What is the player doing? It sounds like he's trying to access the campaign data not the base ruleset? Can they try it with the base ruleset? Also, try using the CoreRPG ruleset? This will help isolate what is causing the issue.

Xydonus
March 31st, 2016, 18:47
Selecting a previously played campaign, rather than the base ruleset. So aye, selecting the campaign data. I'll try the base and also try the other rulesets.

Xydonus
March 31st, 2016, 19:21
Ok, well that works. So yeah selecting base ruleset (and not the campaign) works fine. But now a new problem...

How can they select their character? The character conversion tool is useless (I've just tried it) and it's only for specific rulesets. So exporting their character xml, can they put it somewhere so that it will show up?

Or is it a case that they just have to copy the data from their character (which is a pain).

Trenloe
March 31st, 2016, 19:47
As it now looks like manage characters for campaign data doesn't work, but should work for the base ruleset, try the following:

The GM exports each individual PC into an XMl file. Do this from the Character Management screen - click the brown (/) button to get the export option for each character (blue down arrow button).
Email (or whatever way you want to transfer the data) the Exported XML file to the relevant player.
The player will go into Manage Characters, but not for the campaign for the specific ruleset. Open the "PC's" Import Local Character window, press the brown (/) button and click the blue up arrow that appears. This will open a file window and they should select the XML the GM sent in step #2 above. The player will then have the PC in their local characters store.

The players than then upload the local character when they next join the game, or export the XML and email it back to the GM if they make changes.

Xydonus
March 31st, 2016, 19:53
Right - After much faffing about (realizing that I've got to send them the ruleset also just to access it) and finding out that certain rulesets support the import local character function (40k does, Star Wars doesn't seem to support it) I'm sorted. Although unfortunately it seems more hassle than it's worth, and not sure if it's going to be of any use. I was hoping that for the community rulesets that at least the information is saved rather than someone having to export and re-upload their character at the end of every session, but that doesn't seem to be the case?

Appreciate the help Trenloe, wouldn't have been able to figure this out without your assistance.

Now this comes under feedback more than anything else, and it isn't directed at you Tren but rather the Fantasy Grounds itself, the program. I do hope the switch over to Unity will improve this aspect as I find players would love to be able to access their characters offline without the need to having to constantly update it or to mess about. Sure, the official supported rulesets seem to have more functionality in this but I can't see why that same functionality can't be shared. Roll20 for example is quite simple with allowing anyone to log in at any one time and view their characters without any messing about. Different program and a very different build, but I do hope this is one area FG improves upon cause it really is not user friendly.

Trenloe
March 31st, 2016, 20:10
... and finding out that certain rulesets support the import local character function (Star Wars doesn't seem to support it)..
Which Star Wars Ruleset are you referring to? The Edge of the Empire ruleset? If so, I'm not aware that it isn't supported. What leads you to believe that is the case? Is it just the issue mentioned below?

Although unfortunately it seems more hassle than it's worth, and not sure if it's going to be of any use. I was hoping that for the community rulesets that at least the information is saved rather than someone having to export and re-upload their character at the end of every session, but that doesn't seem to be the case?
It does get saved in the local campaign cache, but there appears to be an issue with your players accessing this character cache.

Doing a bit of testing on this, it appears that manage characters using previously saved campaign data (the campaign cache) crashes if the player doesn't have the ruleset installed locally. This never used to be the case, so it is either a bug or a design change. I'll raise it as a bug and see what the devs say.

So - short term workaround: make sure your players have the same ruleset that you use for their campaign installed locally and they will be able to use manage characters on their campaign data. *But* note that they will have read only access to their characters (they can't edit the local campaign cache as that is controlled when they are connected to the GM). If they want to edit their PC they will have to export the XML locally, go into manage characters for the ruleset and import the XML. It's really quick to do - very little faffing around! :)

Trenloe
March 31st, 2016, 20:14
Logged here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?30630-Manage-Characters-using-campaign-cache-crashes-FG-if-the-ruleset-is-not-installed

Xydonus
March 31st, 2016, 21:11
Cheers Tren, appreciate it.

Xydonus
April 1st, 2016, 18:03
Ok, so new issue...

Concerning: Star Wars EOTE Community Ruleset (latest version, latest modules), Character Manager.

Issue: One of my players loaded up fine in character manager. Saw his character to be selectable. Yet he wasn't able to view it. Clicking it/Double clicking it doesn't work.

Xydonus
April 1st, 2016, 18:10
Ok issue fixed - One of my players has an access issue, but it worked for another. Sorted.