PDA

View Full Version : Will there be a full CoC 7e ruleset?

GoblinTown
March 29th, 2016, 04:42
Hi all, fairly new to FG, and totally new to CoC on FG, so forgive me if I don't know how things are normally done around here yet, but I was seriously considering picking up the CoC ruleset and was looking for a little advice.

I see the current one for sale is 6e, and I see what seems to be a 7e user made ruleset further down in the threads. My question is, does anyone know if FG will put out a full CoC 7e ruleset with the book scanned and all that like 6's current one? If it's likely, I would just wait so as not to waste money by purchasing 6 if 7 will be along in x months. I can wait and won't be using it that much anytime soon.

Thanks for any input.

damned
March 29th, 2016, 04:48
6 is very good value :)
7 is in full development now - it will have the full rulebook.
Hoping for June. It may slip a little but June is the aim.
Over the last week quite a bit of graphics and combat resolution was worked on.

GoblinTown
March 29th, 2016, 06:45
Thank you Damned :) I agree, it is a good deal, and I almost bought it a few times today lol.

I will be patient for 7 though, and use the current funds to add to my D&D 5e sourcebooks. The bundle was tempting as well.

damned
March 29th, 2016, 07:14
Its too early to tell but because the 7e system is new and expensive the new ruleset is also likely to be more expensive than the current one...
But it will also be waaaaaaay nicer.

Hector Trelane
March 29th, 2016, 16:11
Separate purchase or free upgrade from 6? Adventures and other content backwards compatible?

dberkompas
March 29th, 2016, 17:39
I'm really looking forward to playing some 7E at future FG Cons.

I'm glad I was able to get in on the Kickstarter, can't wait for the books to arrive.

Boomer

ddavison
March 29th, 2016, 18:20
I think this will need to be a completely separate purchase. It's being rebuilt entirely.

martel
March 29th, 2016, 19:45
I think this will need to be a completely separate purchase. It's being rebuilt entirely.

ouchhh i buy COC and now COC 7 ruleset ? :(

i wait in june to see.

bye

dberkompas
March 29th, 2016, 19:57
martel,

I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts that your issues with the 7E extension will be resolved with this new release!

You seem quite excited about CoC, I'd love to session with you at an FG Con.

Boomer

Trenloe
March 29th, 2016, 20:00
ouchhh i buy COC and now COC 7 ruleset ? :(
You'd have to buy the CoC v7 rulebook from Chaosium if you want to move from playing CoC v6 to v7 RPG, so why not expect the same with the FG ruleset? As this ruleset is being rebuilt entirely by new developers, and I would imagine will have a lot more library information compared to v6 (simply because the new v7 rulebooks are much larger), I think it is acceptable to reward the new ruleset developers for all of their hard work by selling it as a separate product.

martel
March 30th, 2016, 08:26
You'd have to buy the CoC v7 rulebook from Chaosium if you want to move from playing CoC v6 to v7 RPG, so why not expect the same with the FG ruleset? As this ruleset is being rebuilt entirely by new developers, and I would imagine will have a lot more library information compared to v6 (simply because the new v7 rulebooks are much larger), I think it is acceptable to reward the new ruleset developers for all of their hard work by selling it as a separate product.

it seemed to me that between Version 6 and 7 there was not much different.
Here the biggest (if I may so express myself) it's all on the fact that it starts from the CoreRPG ..... and the size of the rule book has nothing to have it. 3/4 of the rules are the same.

Anyway ... we pay as we always do.

ianmward
March 30th, 2016, 08:50
it seemed to me that between Version 6 and 7 there was not much different. Here the biggest (if I may so express myself) it's all on the fact that it starts from the CoreRPG ..... and the size of the rule book has nothing to have it. 3/4 of the rules are the same. Anyway ... we pay as we always do.

The ruleset will have a lot of similarities but also many differences (I've fixed up the critical damage allocation for you) and I'm adding Occupations and handling Occupations skills. I'm sure there will be other goodies added too.

More importantly it will include the new rulebook, which I am sure you are aware, is completely different from 6e.
Sure some of the rules are the same, but the text and formatting is all new. It doesn't convert itself to FG on its own, you know :-) and we have to pay the royalties to Chaosium.

To answer a previous question, the intention is to make it backward compatible. That is to say that you will be able to open 6e modules and adventures and the content will be converted on the fly.

New 7e modules will not work with 6e, however.

Ian

martel
March 30th, 2016, 12:05
I feel anyway a bit like a rat ... purchasing the V6 ruleset, not having played a single party since I bought the book V7 over 140 € and after bein it will pay the license Chaosium ..cool .. that's life.

Even though I have not created many module based on the V6. for V7.

I had completely redone Arms module for V7..et I think it will do it again because of missing information ... even more if it will adapt to your way of parsing the text to the detected touched - damage and effects without a common and unified policy in order to make a character string of standard for parsing attack damages and effects, we are good to do again every time.
The ideal Ianward, I think it's like you I had proposed to use the same way of parsing for the CORPRPG DD5 and on this basis even if it is complex parmettra to make very powerful modules and extensions Text objects definitions, spell books, weapons, vehicle for dice detect test (skills or other) etc ...

:-)

kael79
March 30th, 2016, 14:17
Personally, I did not buy any v6 book, I spent € 180 in my French Luxury V7, and I bought the ruleset v6 after buying books ...
I read very little English, and I still talk less (except with Google translation).

In short, this is the first time I feel I have lost money with FG ... :s
If I had known, I would not have bought the ruleset v6 ... :'(

martel
March 30th, 2016, 14:23
Personally, I did not buy any v6 book, I spent € 180 in my French Luxury V7, and I bought the ruleset v6 after buying books ...
I read very little English, and I still talk less (except with Google translation).

In short, this is the first time I feel I have lost money with FG ...: s
If I had known, I would not have bought the ruleset v6 ...: '(

me too :(

dberkompas
March 30th, 2016, 16:02
There's nothing stopping you from continuing to use the existing 6E ruleset with the fantastic 7E extenstion by ianmward.

Boomer

kael79
March 30th, 2016, 17:42
yes, that's what I'll do (in fact it is rather the version that I translated this beautiful extension ^^) because I have a table that begins next month on a campaign (" 5 Supplices "French exclusivity)
I would buy the new ruleset course (I hasten to translate;)), it's just that it's still frustrating to learn that only now.

martel
March 30th, 2016, 19:51
for me it isn't important for buy, but the € go to the creator of ruleset..... for FG (i have allready payed my licence), Chaosium (i payed with the COC ruleset).

if creator want sold ruleset why not... but how many... if too high i keep my coc V6 with extension and modify mine.

ladyaelphaba
April 9th, 2016, 18:10
I really like 7e and the extension seems to work very well from my limited experience. Super excited to get rid of the resistance table.

I was holding out for the official 7e release, but I'm also a little reticent to shell out the dough again. Hopefully they will release some screen shots/etc when it goes up for sale so that I can decide if it's worth it before buying.

iemckinnon
May 28th, 2016, 02:56
I feel that the system rulebook should be an addon to the ruleset. I don't think I have used the FG2 rulebook for Pathfinder or CoC as I have the paper copies of said rulebooks, and so do my players.
Especially if FG/Chaosium is charging us again for the rulebook we already have. I can see doing it for modules as it is impossible to separate the full text and art of the book from the product.
Otherwise, why bother supporting the RPG companies by buying physical versions of their products directly, or in this case support their kickstarters where we get a PDF/physical copy of their books as a reward? Just fund at a lower level since we are going to have to pay full version for a lesser version of the same products, to use it in FG2? Just have the mechanics and let people buy the rulebooks as an add-on if they need them.
I don't know the policies of other VTTs out there, but this could be something that could turn people away from FG2 in the future, and make me reconsider if I want to continue supporting FG2 and future versions.

I am copying this to Chaosium.

ddavison
May 28th, 2016, 03:16
One thing to keep in mind for rulesets is that you are essentially paying for all the code to make the ruleset run and it is including a library module with the rulebook. What is the incentive for any RPG company to allow a VTT to build a licensed version of their game? If no additional money goes back to the RPG publisher for allowing it, we probably wouldn't have very many licenses.

iemckinnon
May 28th, 2016, 04:14
I agree to a point. The code is worth paying for as is the license from the game publisher.
Chaosium has a lot of incentive. They are hurting for players since they pretty well screwed the pooch with the v7 kickstarter and are trying to pull themselves out of the lurch by trying to increase their player base. Since you asked.
I am just saying that you should not take the hide off the sheep with the fleece.
In this case, if it is about the same cost as the PDF, it will be about $28 for the upgrade.

ddavison
May 28th, 2016, 04:27
The V7 Kickstarter got off to a very rough start. The new group seems to be turning things around very well, though, and I will say that Chaosium as a company seems much more engaged than they were during the 6E period. I am personally hopeful that this will mean more involvement from some of the inner folks so that we'll see a few of them running some games on Fantasy Grounds and maybe even release a few freebies for it over time.

ianmward
May 28th, 2016, 09:21
I feel that the system rulebook should be an addon to the ruleset. I don't think I have used the FG2 rulebook for Pathfinder or CoC as I have the paper copies of said rulebooks, and so do my players.
Especially if FG/Chaosium is charging us again for the rulebook we already have. I can see doing it for modules as it is impossible to separate the full text and art of the book from the product.
Otherwise, why bother supporting the RPG companies by buying physical versions of their products directly, or in this case support their kickstarters where we get a PDF/physical copy of their books as a reward? Just fund at a lower level since we are going to have to pay full version for a lesser version of the same products, to use it in FG2? Just have the mechanics and let people buy the rulebooks as an add-on if they need them.
I don't know the policies of other VTTs out there, but this could be something that could turn people away from FG2 in the future, and make me reconsider if I want to continue supporting FG2 and future versions.

I am copying this to Chaosium.

Hi iemckinnon,

Personally, I find your attitude very disappointing and a little suprising... You have the CoC 6e ruleset and were not driven away by having to pay for the rulebook as part of it.

I would like to understand:
1) You think the ruleset should be separate from the rulebook, How much would you be willing to pay for just the ruleset if the rulebook was separate? The development of the ruleset itself is non-trivial (100s of hours of work) and is effectively free with the rulebook, so if you'd prefer to pay extra, I wouldn't complain.

2) When you say that the FG version of the rulebook is a lesser version, do you not value at all the ability to drag and drop creatures, equipment, spells, occupations, etc. from the book to your story items and character sheets? Does it not help making prep time shorter? Also, you may be surprised by the appearance of the latest FG rulebooks (including the CoC 7e) as they are MUCH nicer than previous ones.

3) Buying the ruleset and books through Fantasy Grounds is supporting the RPG Companies as they receive royalties just like from the PDF or Physical books. That's the great thing about Fantasy Grounds compared to other VTTs out there. In others, the RPG developer gets NOTHING from the players.

Nobody is forcing you to buy or use the CoC 7e ruleset when it is released. You can run Call of Cthulhu using the CoreRPG ruleset and MoreCore extension if you wish...

Golgorosh
May 29th, 2016, 19:42
I am running 3 campaigns (Orient Express, Curse of Nineveh, Realm of Shadows) with my lousy Core edition of the character sheet.

You can find it there: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?23138-Share-Game-System-Character-Sheets&p=201890&viewfull=1#post201890

Remember in a nutshell that CoC is a game where you roll some dices with a very light system (removing sanity, using luck, the bonus/malus dice).
Don't get me wrong: i will get the V7 Ruleset because i love shiny stuff.
But you can play this game online without all the shiny stuff because this game is about the story, not about the amount of damage the whatever version of the Tommygun is doing. And during a game, i've noticed that my players care more about the story and how they will not turn insane than a very crunchy system like PF or D&D.

damned
May 29th, 2016, 23:16
Yeah - for sure - CoC is definitely all about the theatre and you can run it on CoreRPG (especially with MoreCore) just fine.
We think the v7 ruleset has some great enhancements and a really solid set of reference manuals and for those that go that way we think it will make your job much easier.
Not as much crunch but certainly still some complexity and we want the v7 ruleset to be as good as the v7 system itself :)

PS How do you sleep at night with all those campaigns gnawing away at the edges of your consciousness?

Springroll
August 4th, 2016, 13:49
I've just bought the 6th edition on FG (yesterday) but I do not feel cheated at all, I can't say that I understand the problem that some of you seem to be having with having to buy the 7th edition. Did people complain that they didn't get DnD 5e for free as they already had bought 4e? It's a new rulebook from Chaosium and if you want the 7th edition you have to buy a new book, the same should go for FG. If you'd rather buy the book/pdf and then use CoreRPG to play that should work as well, but you won't get the excellent automation that FG does so well.
We get what we pay for in my mind and I also see it as support to the best VTT out there, but each to his own I guess.

Vanethian
August 24th, 2016, 23:16
I think that it's fair to pay for the 7th edition (ruleset + rulebook). I understand also that the price will be an important price, and I've just gathered the money for it! I will promote as much as possible the 7th edition with my friends. Would be cool to get also all the licensed content with a discount.

damned
August 25th, 2016, 01:55
A 7th Edition Chase Tracker has been added into the Combat Tracker.
Drag and Drop Inventory which will also auto add the weapons to the Actions/Weapons sections.

Spells are giving me the irrits. Have to add them as part of the reference manual as well as the Spell Book due to the way they are presented.

Progress is happening.

Sjelsyk
August 28th, 2016, 15:20
Seeing as you have a Drag and Drop Inventory (which is great btw! Good job!), and that the weapons will auto add to the Actions/Weapons section (which is also great), will the skill level also update wherever it may be?

Say for example, if you get some additional skill points in Fighting(Brawl), or Firearms(Handgun), will this automatically update on the weapons that uses these skills like knife and pistols, so you don't have to manually fix that? :) Long live laziness... hah.

Vanethian
August 31st, 2016, 21:44
Can we say that the ruleset will be released by mid September?

ianmward
August 31st, 2016, 22:46
We can say that we're on track to get it to Smiteworks for approval by then, but it might need rework after Chaosium checks it...

Sjelsyk
August 31st, 2016, 23:02
Let's cross our fingers that they're happy with what you guys send them. :)

dberkompas
September 1st, 2016, 05:22
I've found the guys at Chaosium extremely easy and approachable. I had no problem getting permission from them to create my Character builder/exporter webapp.

Vanethian
September 18th, 2016, 01:14
Another twenty days passed. At the moment I've got a group of 7 ready to jump into Lovecraftian horrors, and we know every single word from the free quickstart rules :D

While waiting for the ruleset, we spend the weeks just talking about Lovecraft novels and creating on paper tons of new characters.

It's time to have a release date :) 7th edition is the best of all the editions, and while I am reading here and there different positive (many) or negative (just a few) reviews, the overall comments are very positive and the ruleset will sell thousand copies in few minutes.

At the moment the ruleset with the main rulebook is very needed. All the rest can be done at a later time, but please hurry up :D

damned
September 29th, 2016, 14:52
Ruleset is coming along.
Lots of other things competing for time just now but progress is being made.

Ia Ia!

Vanethian
September 29th, 2016, 15:09
that's wonderful!!! great news indeed :) do you have an ETA, as example mid october?

damned
September 29th, 2016, 15:12
It wont be ready for submission to SmiteWorks before 3.2.0 is public. It might not be submitted for a full month even after that date.
:(

Vanethian
September 29th, 2016, 15:28
this means end of november? do you suggest me to buy the 6th edition in the meantime? also, if I buy other CoC modules actually available in the store, they will be compatible with the new ruleset when it will be available? or maybe they will be updated?

[Edit] I was reading this is the idea, about the update, but can you confirm since now you worked on the majority of the ruleset?

Also, with the 6th edition ruleset come good scenarios, they will be playable with the 7th (if you have the 6th, I mean)?

ianmward
September 29th, 2016, 17:18
The 7th ed ruleset is designed to open and convert (NPCs) 6th ed. modules. This includes the adventures included with the 6th ed. ruleset as well as the others in the store.

Vanethian
October 27th, 2016, 22:22
3.20 release is next week, any news for CoC 7th? We should be near this time, right?

Vanethian
November 3rd, 2016, 14:38
anyway, just a quick update from me. I tested 3.20 with my campaigns and it works perfectly, also on Call of Cthulhu so I can't really understand that ones that complain :) all perfect here... just waiting the new ruleset.

damned
November 4th, 2016, 09:06
Hey Vanethian we are still plugging away at this - getting closer!

GoblinTown
December 24th, 2016, 07:17
BAM! Bought. It was a tough wait. I'm liking it.

damned
December 24th, 2016, 08:59
BAM! Bought. It was a tough wait. I'm liking it.

WooHoo - please do keep an eye out for bugs and we will push a bug fix release somewhere early January!

dberkompas
December 24th, 2016, 23:52
Where should we post bug reports for the new CoC 7e ruleset when run w/ 3.2.2 test?

Moon Wizard
December 24th, 2016, 23:57
You can post in the v3.2.2 thread.

Cheers,
JPG