PDA

View Full Version : Need to be abke to run from 2 devices, 1 in demo and other licensed mode and need hel

daboking
March 28th, 2016, 15:21
Thank you in advance for reading as this may be a touch long as I try to set up the scenario of which I am looking for assistance...

First of all, I have FG via steam, and work on campaigns at home on my desktop, and sometimes from my laptop when I am not at home, so FG is installed on both but only run from 1 device at a time. I have some players who come over to my house, so my group is mixed up of remote and local players, and need to allow 1 player on my laptop at home to join the game while I GM from my desktop. I am not wanting to run my licensed version on both my desktop and laptop at the same time, so I tried to installing the demo to my laptop outside of steam. It detects that FG is already installed anyway. I also run into the issue that even if I could cross the demo version verses licensed so I am not running 2 licensed versions at same time with 1 purchase (which I do not want to do anyway), Steam will still disconnect 1 session if I run via steam anyway. Ideally, what I want to do is keep my ability to work on campaigns with my licensed version on my laptop when I am not home, but be able to run it in demo mode outside of steam so as to avoid licensing and steam conflicting session errors during my game sessions. Does anyone have any ideas that might help? Thanks again so much! There is probably an easy solution I am overlooking, and grateful for any assistance.

Zacchaeus
March 28th, 2016, 15:38
You can run a second session of FG on the same computer by finding the FantasyGrounds.exe file and right clicking and selecting open. From the screen select 'join game' and then click in the first box and select a name (other than the name you log on as DM) and in the second box type 'localhost'. Now I don't know if that works with a second computer over a LAN or not - but it might.

Other than that I'm not sure it can be done.

daboking
March 28th, 2016, 15:50
Thank you very much for that suggestion. I have just tested, and it detected license and created a conflict. I was afraid of this, but realized I can wipe my license from the laptop easily enough and update. This ran it in demo mode no problem from laptop, and I was able to attach to my desktop as a host afterwords. So now, I just have to copy the license back in my laptop again when I want to edit campaign settings further when not at home. Thank you for the great idea, it was a huge help!!