PDA

View Full Version : Justing getting into FG via D&D5E and I saw C&C

ctcharger
March 27th, 2016, 18:35
I am a play by post/email gamer and saw the Field of Battle Module for C&C. Worth the $30 to get the ruleset and the module? I like the idea of doing larger battles in FG in a roleplaying environment. I also like the idea of a simpler ruleset (my first was Moldvay basic)

JohnD
March 27th, 2016, 18:53
C&C is solid value for your money, especially on FG. It doesn't have the same automation level as you will be accustomed to with 5E, but then nothing does. I have FoB, but have not had an occasion to use it yet... the impression I get from looking through it is that it is more informational in nature.

Fair disclosure - C&C is my favourite ruleset.

ctcharger
March 27th, 2016, 23:27
Ok thanks. I appreciate the heads up about the automation. I would have expected it to be about the same which I guess it isn't. I may spend the money on more 5E products then.

JohnD
March 27th, 2016, 23:58
None of the other rulesets have the same level of automation as 5E does - that's got all the bells and whistles. But... it's not like you're playing a game with rocks and clubs over dial-up using other rulesets - C&C is close to Pathfinder/3.5e in terms of automation.

damned
March 28th, 2016, 00:21
C&C is one of the best supported rulesets on Fantasy Grounds and is one of my favourite systems. C&C is how I ended up using Fantasy Grounds.

ctcharger
March 28th, 2016, 02:52
I am intrigued by it. Do you think people would be willing to play it PBEM style? I see a lot of stuff in the store so that is a good sign. Hear the guys on the Save or Die podcast talking it up.

JohnD
March 28th, 2016, 03:51
Gygax was involved with the creation of C&C if that means anything. It would be just as easy to play via e-mail as any other system - if people play the story and setting instead of the system. In many ways it is probably easier because each PC isn't a walking arsenal of feats and overwhelming special abilities so the player can focus on the story instead of their modifiers.

ctcharger
March 28th, 2016, 04:13
It does, thanks. Greyhawk, big fan. Without FG, I doubt I would have bought into the 5E system after buying the starter set which I liked. Keeping track of all the feats, skills, etc. would have tipped the scales to much against it I think. With FG however, not really an issue which I really like.

ctcharger
March 29th, 2016, 17:05
How compatible is C&C with AD&D 1E adventure modules? I am worried if I buy C&C I will like it more than D&D 5E and feel bad for money I spent on it. If that happens, is there a support group?

Can I use the tokens in other campaigns?

JohnD
March 29th, 2016, 17:33
How compatible is C&C with AD&D 1E adventure modules? I am worried if I buy C&C I will like it more than D&D 5E and feel bad for money I spent on it. If that happens, is there a support group?

Can I use the tokens in other campaigns?

Oh man, AD&D and 2e stuff converts like a breeze... that's the great thing about C&C if you like the Old School stuff. I have a ToEE group that's been playing for close to three years now. My ToEE -> C&C conversion is probably > 95% straight across without making changes. The changes I've made are to take some C&C stuff into account like the Siege Checks and optional Advantages which NPCs with class levels can have.

I have another game that has just started not too long ago, partially based on an old AD&D module. That converted straight across.

FG tokens you can use in any campaign.

ctcharger
March 29th, 2016, 17:40
Worth the $10 for just the tokens then. Thanks for the heads up!

JohnD
March 29th, 2016, 18:57
Forgot to mention - C&C comes with its own tokens pulled from the C&C Creatures & Treasure book (earlier printing than the current one). If you get the Classic Monsters module, that doesn't come with tokens I don't believe, but where there's a will there's a way as the saying goes.

For $10 you IMO can't get better value out of a FG ruleset.