PDA

View Full Version : Castle Ravenloft Battlemaps

Zacchaeus
March 27th, 2016, 18:34
For those of you who have bought the Curse of Strahd and are lamenting the lack of battlemaps for Castle Ravenloft - lament no more.

Now with Line of Sight! Thanks to SilentRuin the HiRes maps now include Line of sight - Unity ready maps.

EDIT: It was noticed that the original maps were drawn to an incorrect scale. The grids on the isometric maps are actually 10' square rather than the 5' square which I erroneously assumed. I have therefore redone the maps to the corrects scale. In order to do that I exported them out at a much higher resolution than previously with the consequence that the maps are a lot bigger, even after crunching them down to jpg files. So, now you have a choice. Below you will find two mods one with the maps in high resolution and the other in a much lower resolution (but extremely serviceable nonetheless). All of the maps have the Fantasy Grounds grid on them all ready to go. Just download whichever mod you fancy, stick it in your mod folder and open it up in the library ready to go.

If you have already downloaded either of the previous packages note that those are not at the correct scale. You can still use them but make sure that you draw the grid at a quarter of the guide square included in the map.

As a special bonus for your patience and understanding both packages now include an extra map of the outside of the castle which I had previously decided not to do.

Happy Vampiring.

PS. I took the opportunity to make the walls nicer, and also these maps will work in any ruleset.

PPS: See also posts #49 and #50 (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?30561-Castle-Ravenloft-Battlemaps&p=289539&viewfull=1#post289539) for more maps by SoulBurner.

kylania
March 27th, 2016, 19:15
Don't suppose you'd be willing to share the CC3+ files? I wouldn't mind higher resolution maps (100 vs 50) and a few effects changes to the walls to make them more "wallish" instead of "fenceish" (https://i.imgur.com/08WHwW9.jpg) as the default settings results in.

Teknykk
March 27th, 2016, 19:18
Hey Zacchaeus...?

Has anyone ever told you...that you're a legend...?

No...? Well guess what...?

This is undeniable. You're a legend.

Zacchaeus
March 27th, 2016, 21:48
Don't suppose you'd be willing to share the CC3+ files? I wouldn't mind higher resolution maps (100 vs 50) and a few effects changes to the walls to make them more "wallish" instead of "fenceish" (https://i.imgur.com/08WHwW9.jpg) as the default settings results in.

The problem is that they probably won't work for you unless you have all of the same symbols and textures that I use. Also I did export them as PNG files at 100dpi. I then passed them through GIMP to convert them into jpg files to make them smaller in size and more FG friendly. I can remove the bevel effect on the walls to make them more wallish. Is the attached better?

Mask_of_winter
March 27th, 2016, 22:23
Thanks so much for these!

ddavison
March 27th, 2016, 22:38
Thanks Zacchaeus!

damned
March 28th, 2016, 00:18
Zacchaeus - I cant give you more rep (yet) but well done and thank you for everything you do!

Teknykk
March 28th, 2016, 01:52
I've given him reputation in your place, just now - it's more than well deserved.

xanstin
March 28th, 2016, 02:24
Great job Zacchaeus!

ianmward
March 28th, 2016, 13:41
Zacchaeus - I cant give you more rep (yet) but well done and thank you for everything you do!

But I can. And did!

Zacchaeus
March 28th, 2016, 14:25
Thanks chaps and chapesses; I appreciate the feedback. :o

Trenloe
March 29th, 2016, 20:14
Zacc, great stuff and thank you! Added a grid and dropped it into a module. :)
That would be cool if the maps were provided in this way in the download. Zacchaeus? :)

Zacchaeus
March 29th, 2016, 21:28
That would be cool if the maps were provided in this way in the download. Zacchaeus? :)

What do you mean as an FG mod with FG Grids? There is a grid square on all of them to enable an FG grid to be drawn to the correct scale which I assumed was what aflevine meant.

Trenloe
March 30th, 2016, 01:41
What do you mean as an FG mod with FG Grids? There is a grid square on all of them to enable an FG grid to be drawn to the correct scale which I assumed was what aflevine meant.
I mean you can package the image files up into an FG module, making them easy to load into a campaign as and when needed. If you have placed a FG grid on the map this will be exported with the module too.

For example, attached are the maps all in a map module with the FG grid pre-set (you can disable the grid if you don't want it). I've removed the <ruleset> tag from the module definition.xml file so this can be opened in a campaign for any FG ruleset. Ready to go in any and all of your FG campaigns! :)

Zacchaeus
March 30th, 2016, 09:27
I mean you can package the image files up into an FG module, making them easy to load into a campaign as and when needed. If you have placed a FG grid on the map this will be exported with the module too.

For example, attached are the maps all in a map module with the FG grid pre-set (you can disable the grid if you don't want it). I've removed the <ruleset> tag from the module definition.xml file so this can be opened in a campaign for any FG ruleset. Ready to go in any and all of your FG campaigns! :)

Yes, my question should have read 'What do you mean? Do you want me to put them in a mod with the grid preplaced? Or do you mean you want a grid drawn on the actual map from Campaign Cartographer?' I usually do present them as a mod but I was in a hurry when I uploaded them so I did it quick and dirty.

But since you have done the necessary I have amended the initial post and included your file in the first post as well as instructions for those who didn't know about the blank square in each map for use to align the grid. Next time I will take more time :)

Patou
March 30th, 2016, 15:43
The problem is that they probably won't work for you unless you have all of the same symbols and textures that I use. Also I did export them as PNG files at 100dpi. I then passed them through GIMP to convert them into jpg files to make them smaller in size and more FG friendly. I can remove the bevel effect on the walls to make them more wallish. Is the attached better?

Wow! I was going to make some and do the same Zacchaeus but yours are pretty sweet. On the thumbnail.. I don't have my module close to me (at work currently). Is the scale 1 square = 5'? I don't remember.

Zacchaeus
March 30th, 2016, 16:37
Yes, 1 square = 5'

Calisto
March 31st, 2016, 03:39
Thank you Zacchaeus, these look great! Truly impressed with how quickly you put these together.

However the .mod doesn't seem to be working for me. I placed in my C:\ProgramData\Fantasy Grounds\modules folder but I do not see it as a selectable module when I go to the Library in game to active. I have many other mods that work fine (like your excellent Zacchaeus PotA Maps) but this one just isn't there as an option. Am I missing something?

Trenloe
March 31st, 2016, 06:37
However the .mod doesn't seem to be working for me.
Try the updated .mod I've just uploaded to post #1. Changed the ruleset tag to "Any".

jayoungr
March 31st, 2016, 16:56
Wonderful job! Thanks so much!

kalmarjan
April 1st, 2016, 15:08
Looks great! Thank you for this. Mwa ha ha

Teknykk
April 2nd, 2016, 06:22
I thought I should mention...that based on the isometric maps in comparison to the ones made here, it appears every "square" on the isometric maps is equal to 10 feet in space. The grid in the custom maps is 5 foot squares, which wouldn't add up correctly when comparing to the isometric maps. I used the octagonal room, 04.03.K12. Turret Post, on Map 3 as a guide, which says the room is a 30 foot wide room, which would mean each square of that room on the isometric map would be equal to 10 feet squared.

That said, the grid should be adjusted to match this, which makes sense considering it is a castle and should be bigger than the grid on the custom maps make it appear. So keep in mind any DM's here, that you should change your grid to be one quarter of the provided white grid square in the custom maps to get the proper 5 feet measurements for placing creatures on them to battle. Unless I've missed something, this to me feels like the correct measurements of the maps - of which I also compared to those identical archived Expedition to Castle Ravenloft isometric maps that mention measurements - but feel free to inform me if I'm wrong.

Zacchaeus
April 2nd, 2016, 11:32
Oh, dammit. I assumed 5' = 1 square but you are correct Teknykk the scale is 10' per square. I will work relentlessly this afternoon to update the maps and post new ones as soon as possible.

Teknykk
April 3rd, 2016, 01:37
Amazing job Zacchaeus...the fact that you go to these lengths for something you get nothing for in return shows your value to the community. The high resolution ones especially are very nice and show the effort put in, and these are more than enough for what we need to run Castle Ravenloft efficiently now. I'm glad I caught onto the scale as well, as it might've confused a lot of people who didn't draw the comparison to the isometrics. Either way, while I don't speak for the community, I will gladly thank you on its behalf for your work.

MTS
April 5th, 2016, 05:54
Wow! I love you man. Thank you, thank you, thank you...

Redemption77
April 18th, 2016, 19:41
Does this work for rulesets outside of 5th edition? Im trying to get the castle maps to work for Mutants and Masterminds and Im not sure if its not working because its an old ruleset or this mod is just meant for other systems

Edit: Let me mention I saw that this had been changed by trenloe to any tag, but its still not working for me. Just curious if I missed something and didnt download the proper one even though I only see one attachment from trenloe. Zac's wont work for me in the rule set at all so I assume his are solely 5e

Zacchaeus
April 18th, 2016, 20:43
The two links in the first post will download mods which will work with any ruleset. I don't own any outside 3.5 but they both work with that so I'm pretty confident that they'll work with anything.

I believe that when Trenloe did his first mod it would only work with 5e but then he changed it to work with any ruleset. So it's possible that you downloaded the Trenloe mod before he changed it. At any rate the best thing to do is download one of the two mods linked in the first post. Also my initial downloads weren't mods just zip files. I assume that you aren't trying to open them from within FG?

Redemption77
April 20th, 2016, 23:34
I tried both the lo res and the hi res and it generated an error when I clicked on the maps and images button inside the module. Unable to create window with invalid class

damned
April 21st, 2016, 00:14
What ruleset are you trying to use this on Redemption77?

Redemption77
April 21st, 2016, 00:16
The Mutants and Masterminds ruleset

damned
April 21st, 2016, 00:33
This is not a CoreRPG ruleset so it has some significant differences in the coding.
Unpack the mod and just grab the images out.

Redemption77
April 21st, 2016, 00:36
FOrgive me for being ignorant of things but how do I unpack the mod? Also yeah I figured that was the issue which is sad. Mutants and Masterminds is the ruleset I use the most and its lacking in alot of things that the Core sets have which would take it from a good ruleset to a great ruleset

damned
April 21st, 2016, 00:40
You can rename the file to something.zip and unpack it with windows compression or if you use something like 7zip it will recognise that the file is a zip and let you open/unpack it without changing filenames.

Redemption77
April 21st, 2016, 00:43
Thanks

Dennis Archer
April 24th, 2016, 00:52
Zacchaeus, this is fantastic work. Well done!

Fudly
July 5th, 2016, 20:19
Thank you for making these, Zacchaeus.

chrisiav
July 10th, 2016, 14:05
Probably a stupid question but how do you open the mod files? I cant seem to find any app to open it.

JohnD
July 10th, 2016, 14:09
Probably a stupid question but how do you open the mod files? I cant seem to find any app to open it.

Post 35 right above yours.

jojogladco
July 15th, 2016, 15:33
What would be the best way to rotate these maps 90 degrees to the left so that North is the top of the screen for my players? Would I unzip the files, rotate in something like GIMP and then rezip with the same module name?

Zacchaeus
July 15th, 2016, 15:59
Hi, jojo welcome to FG and to the community.

Yes, would be your answer. You don't need to keep the name you can use a different one if you want to retain the original.

jojogladco
July 15th, 2016, 18:06
Thanks for both the work that went into the maps and the quick reply.

BlueDrake
July 21st, 2016, 01:41
A bit late to the party, but thank you for the awesome maps. My group loves battle maps, and these are really sweet looking.

Tiger Tim
September 14th, 2016, 22:47
Thank you, very impressed with the maps, fantasy grounds and its community.

Zacchaeus
September 14th, 2016, 22:58
Welcome to the Community Tiger, and thanks.

Thegroo
September 15th, 2016, 01:44
I missed those maps.
Thank you very much

Galach
September 15th, 2016, 02:12
Do you know what is the saddest thing in this whole forum?

The inability to share reputation with someone you already gave reputation recently.

Zacchaeus: one thousand reputation points to you!

Those are a life saving, since my players are just about to enter Strahd's home...

Thanks a lot!

TheSoulBurner
September 15th, 2016, 06:20
Great maps, thanks!

I made some of my own, but dreaded doing the castle-maps (thankfully, my PCs aren't quite there yet ;) ) ... your maps save me a lot of work :D

If it's okay, I'll share my maps here with you, to have Ravenlost-stuff collected in one thread. If not, feel free to delete them.

TheSoulBurner
September 15th, 2016, 06:32
Second batch ...

Most of the maps were made using Photoshop CS6, heavily using ProFantasy (Dungeon Designer 3+, Dungeons of Schley art pack) products for icons and textures. The Blue Water Inn map was completely made using ProFantasy's DungeonDesigner 3+.

Zacchaeus
September 15th, 2016, 10:32
Hey, Soulburner. Those are very nice maps. I've edited the first post to point to your posts. Otherwise they'll remain buried here.

LordEntrails
September 15th, 2016, 18:55
Nice work Soulburner. By chance, you wouldn't be willing to repost them without grids on them by chance? And maybe adding a 5ft square in the upper left to align the FG grid with? Thanks!

TheSoulBurner
September 16th, 2016, 06:47
Thanks guys!

Nice work Soulburner. By chance, you wouldn't be willing to repost them without grids on them by chance? And maybe adding a 5ft square in the upper left to align the FG grid with? Thanks!
Here you go.
(except the Blue Water Inn, that did take forever to compile last time)

TheSoulBurner
September 16th, 2016, 06:57
Second batch ...

GunnarGreybeard
September 16th, 2016, 07:48
Really like the ruins. You can never have too many ruin maps. :bandit:

xanstin
September 16th, 2016, 16:01
Great job SoulBurner they are fantastic.

LordEntrails
September 16th, 2016, 22:42
Awesome! Thank you :)

Tuendal
September 19th, 2016, 15:13
As a newbie to Fantasy Grounds and a small time dabbler in DND in general, what software was used to make the maps in this thread? These are really fantastic looking and was curious as to what was used to make them. I have wanted to convert some older scenarios and wanted to build maps for them. But some of the software i have seen is really good for some items like actual dungeons, but not so much from an outdoor feel or if it it is outdoors it is is not as fluid as some of these are. I have looked through the posts on mapping software, but before i dump money into the paid for options, was curious how these were done and with what software.

Zacchaeus
September 19th, 2016, 16:29
I used Campaign Cartographer with the City Designer, Dungeon Designer and all four Symbols Set packs. (It is expensive and has a steep learning curve). You'll find some more information on this and alternatives in this post (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20879-Map-Making-Software-summary).

JohnD
September 19th, 2016, 21:01
Solid maps here. Thanks for sharing everyone! ��

SpiritofFire
September 25th, 2016, 16:36
I've downloaded the hi res file into my modules folder, but it doesn't seem to show up in the extensions list on the launcher?

Zacchaeus
September 25th, 2016, 18:30
I've downloaded the hi res file into my modules folder, but it doesn't seem to show up in the extensions list on the launcher?

It isn't an extension, it is a module. Access it from the Library button just like you would any module and once it's open you'll see the maps.

Irrius
November 10th, 2016, 06:35
Does anyone have these in picture form?

Zacchaeus
November 10th, 2016, 10:54
Does anyone have these in picture form?

Hi Irrius welcome to FG and to the community.

What do you mean in picture form?

Irrius
November 10th, 2016, 11:33
Hi Irrius welcome to FG and to the community.

What do you mean in picture form?

Like a jpeg or some version I would be able to print, sorry for the confusion.

Zacchaeus
November 10th, 2016, 12:02
Like a jpeg or some version I would be able to print, sorry for the confusion.

You can extract the images from the module. Proceed as follows

1) Download the module
2) Change the .mod to .zip
3) Extract the .zip file
4) Open the folder and you'll find all the images in the images folder of the module. You can then load these into whatever package you want and print them out.

Irrius
November 10th, 2016, 12:24
thank you friendo

Kranford
February 27th, 2017, 20:47
Hope this doesn't count as necro-ing a thread, but you have my thanks for these maps, good sir. I've been looking to make an adventure that used the Ravenloft maps, and finding useable 2d ones can be tricky.

Zacchaeus
February 27th, 2017, 21:10
Hi, Kranford. Welcome to FG and to the community.

Thanks for the thanks :)

There's a few other maps around as well for Castle Ravenloft on the DMsGuild - linked above I think. You'll need to pay for them though - but they are good maps.

Kranford
February 27th, 2017, 21:31
I'll keep that in mind.

arcanjl
May 4th, 2018, 17:21
OMG this is insanely awesome! Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!

Zacchaeus
May 4th, 2018, 18:23
OMG this is insanely awesome! Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!

You're welcome, you're welcome. you're welcome :)

ekerwin
August 19th, 2018, 00:08
Hi, These files wont open on my computer. Is there a special program that I need to view them? Thanks

Trenloe
August 19th, 2018, 00:14
Hi, These files wont open on my computer. Is there a special program that I need to view them? Thanks
Welcome to the forums.

The maps are in the Fantasy Grounds library module format - for opening within Fantasy Grounds.

Information on these available here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Data_Files_Overview#Modules and here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Library

You could also change the .mod file extension to .zip and then unzip the files to look at the contents.

PerfectConsumer
April 30th, 2020, 04:24
Hey, I was adding LOS (just got FGU) and would share them with you FGU users out there if possible. However, when I was working, I found what appear to be errors in the Castle Lvl 3 map... for example 4.03.19 K19 Grand Landing is nowhere to be seen. Did you alter the maps to facilitate the transition to 2D? If I can figure this out, I will keep going, and will be happy to share the maps with line of sight - if possible.

Zacchaeus
April 30th, 2020, 15:59
Hey, I was adding LOS (just got FGU) and would share them with you FGU users out there if possible. However, when I was working, I found what appear to be errors in the Castle Lvl 3 map... for example 4.03.19 K19 Grand Landing is nowhere to be seen. Did you alter the maps to facilitate the transition to 2D? If I can figure this out, I will keep going, and will be happy to share the maps with line of sight - if possible.

Yeah, it's quite possible that there are missing bits - they were done very quickly so are nothing like perfect.

PerfectConsumer
April 30th, 2020, 17:00
Do you know if there's a way to share my maps after adding line of sight Etc? Would that even work? I'd be happy to post them here for provide them to you if you're using fantasy grounds Unity.

NeoGeoX
May 2nd, 2020, 01:22
Thanks so much everyone!
And i would definitely appreciate LOS maps if someone can make them.

Zacchaeus
May 2nd, 2020, 10:49
Do you know if there's a way to share my maps after adding line of sight Etc? Would that even work? I'd be happy to post them here for provide them to you if you're using fantasy grounds Unity.

If you open up the campaign folder that you drew the LoS in you'll see another folder called modulebd. Inside that is will be an xml file with the name of the map module. Attach that file to a post here and I'll add the LoS to the map module.

PerfectConsumer
May 2nd, 2020, 18:21
OK I will do that when I finish them. Unfortunately, when I try to add the encounter NPCs to the map I am getting an error in FGU, and am working with support to resolve this, but when I finish all the maps I will absolutely return here to share those maps.

PerfectConsumer
May 7th, 2020, 19:56
If you open up the campaign folder that you drew the LoS in you'll see another folder called modulebd. Inside that is will be an xml file with the name of the map module. Attach that file to a post here and I'll add the LoS to the map module.

I finished the LOS process, but as I used the maps from a similar post made on the Cartographer's Guild, I wanted to wait until I got permission to hand over that user's modified maps first. Here's a link to the vanilla maps I have edited:
https://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=40541

Should I get permission from the creator, I will be back with the files. Should I not get permission, I will request the creator post them on the Cartographer's guild, and will return here with a link.

PS - I also went to great lengths putting in all the pins. Will that carry over? If not, users can expect several hours pinning the maps themselves, so I sure hope that carries over.

PerfectConsumer
May 9th, 2020, 20:40
I've sent a PM to Gumyr on Cartographer's Guild asking if it's OK to post LOS variants of his 2D Strahd maps. I will return when I get a reply. I sure hope the pins I meticulously added to the maps will carry over - that was one of the most challenging aspects of doing this - all those staircases!

Also, Zacchaeus: I don't know what you mean by "map module"... these were just images I imported into the game in a rather clunky fashion one by one using the FGU guide. It's not a consolidated package or anything like that, unless FGU does that itself after I added them.

Zacchaeus
May 9th, 2020, 21:10
Also, Zacchaeus: I don't know what you mean by "map module"... these were just images I imported into the game in a rather clunky fashion one by one using the FGU guide. It's not a consolidated package or anything like that, unless FGU does that itself after I added them.

Well you started off by saying you were adding LoS to the maps that I did - which comes in a module - hence a map module or module containing maps. That's what I was referring to. You are now talking about entirely different maps which are not in a module.

WhatToChoose
September 25th, 2020, 18:48
Cant seem to find a good way to open the files.
How is everyone else doing it?

Zacchaeus
September 25th, 2020, 18:52
Cant seem to find a good way to open the files.
How is everyone else doing it?

HI and welcome to the forums.

After downloading the module from the links in the firts post place the module in your FGData/modules folder (click the folder icon at the top of the FG start screen to find this folder). Then start a campaign, click on Library and then on modules and find the module in the list. Click load and the images can then be accessed from the images and maps button.

Zacchaeus
February 4th, 2021, 10:30
The HiRes maps now have LoS added to them thanks to SilentRuin. Big shout out to him. Link in the first post.

SilentRuin
February 4th, 2021, 16:38
The HiRes maps now have LoS added to them thanks to SilentRuin. Big shout out to him. Link in the first post.

My own players have not run through half of those LOS maps yet, and lots of NEW LOS behavior has been added in since last June when I did these. Point being, if you grab them - it would be worth your time to maybe tweak them with the new LOS things where relevant :)

For sure when lighting comes around someone could give the castle maps another pass through and maybe pass those updates back to Zacchaeus. For sure I will if I end up doing that, just my players will not be in that area anytime soon. Just FYI.

dudurban
March 6th, 2021, 19:44
For those of you who have bought the Curse of Strahd and are lamenting the lack of battlemaps for Castle Ravenloft - lament no more.

Now with Line of Sight! Thanks to SilentRuin the HiRes maps now include Line of sight - Unity ready maps.

EDIT: It was noticed that the original maps were drawn to an incorrect scale. The grids on the isometric maps are actually 10' square rather than the 5' square which I erroneously assumed. I have therefore redone the maps to the corrects scale. In order to do that I exported them out at a much higher resolution than previously with the consequence that the maps are a lot bigger, even after crunching them down to jpg files. So, now you have a choice. Below you will find two mods one with the maps in high resolution and the other in a much lower resolution (but extremely serviceable nonetheless). All of the maps have the Fantasy Grounds grid on them all ready to go. Just download whichever mod you fancy, stick it in your mod folder and open it up in the library ready to go.

If you have already downloaded either of the previous packages note that those are not at the correct scale. You can still use them but make sure that you draw the grid at a quarter of the guide square included in the map.

As a special bonus for your patience and understanding both packages now include an extra map of the outside of the castle which I had previously decided not to do.

Happy Vampiring.

PS. I took the opportunity to make the walls nicer, and also these maps will work in any ruleset.

PPS: See also posts #49 and #50 (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?30561-Castle-Ravenloft-Battlemaps&p=289539&viewfull=1#post289539) for more maps by SoulBurner.

Hi, sorry if I'm too newbie, but the attached files are not linked... Where can I download it?

Thanks!

SilentRuin
March 6th, 2021, 20:33
Hi, sorry if I'm too newbie, but the attached files are not linked... Where can I download it?

Thanks!

You just click on them normally.

Zacchaeus
March 6th, 2021, 21:25

Thanks!

The links are in the first post. Make sure you aren't viewing the forum in mobile view (scroll down to the bottom of the forum and select another option from the drop down). You may also need to set some setting on your browser to enable you to see links if you aren't viewing in mobile view.

dudurban
March 7th, 2021, 13:56
The links are in the first post. Make sure you aren't viewing the forum in mobile view (scroll down to the bottom of the forum and select another option from the drop down). You may also need to set some setting on your browser to enable you to see links if you aren't viewing in mobile view.

Thanks! It was just that!