PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Grounds 5E Parser

Pages : [1] 2

kp9911
March 27th, 2016, 17:08
This Application is no longer supported

What is this?
An unofficial application to help you parse information from the RAW, source books, official material etc into fantasy grounds so you can make the best use of all the nice automation features FG has to offer!

DISCLAIMER:
The parser tool along with this app is still in its early stages, you may get errors here and there, I would appreciate if they are reported here as a reply to this forum post.
I would strongly advise you to backup your modules and input data before attempting to use this application.
Presently it supports par5e input files with a few modifications here and there to support FG's ever growing functionalities.

PLEASE NOTE THIS APPLICATION WAS MADE FOR MICROSOFT WINDOWS.

RELEASES
here (https://github.com/kay9911/FG5EParser/releases).
You may log your issues and find existing open issues here (https://github.com/kay9911/FG5EParser/issues).

In the works
FG5EParser progressive releases

Special thanks to Zacchaeus for the nuggets of information! And to to all you peeps that help with the testing.

I would appreciate if anyone reports bugs that they may find while using it thanks!

For people who would like to have a look at the code check this (https://github.com/kay9911/Creature-Creator-v1.3.git)out.

This code has been made available to all with good intent, you can find the licensing details on github. The Releases seen here as links WILL BE PHASED OUT. I have moved entirely to GitHub

Zacchaeus
March 27th, 2016, 18:28
Good work. This looks like a nice addition to par5e.

damned
March 28th, 2016, 00:32
And you know this is just the beginning! Next you will have to make one for classes!
Great work kp9911

astromath
March 28th, 2016, 01:50
Creature Creator looks good. Now you need a way to add descriptive text such as lair actions and regional actions. (That's all the text after the ##;)

kp9911
March 28th, 2016, 07:15
And you know this is just the beginning! Next you will have to make one for classes!
Great work kp9911

That can be arranged, Ill take it up when I am done with this. The reason I chose the Personalities first is because it was infuriating to edit it after copy pasting from the PDF, not to mention the amount of errors that it threw up even afterwards. Also getting innate spellcasting and spellcasting to work was becoming troublesome. I said to hell with this and created that app :P

Creature Creator looks good. Now you need a way to add descriptive text such as lair actions and regional actions. (That's all the text after the ##;)
Ill add it to my list of things to do thanks!

astromath
March 28th, 2016, 12:14
For sure. It took me 3 days to find an error. You know what it was? It was the speed. The text I copied had 30ft. I just couldn't see it. Once I fixed that, that personality parsed just fine.

kp9911
March 29th, 2016, 08:43
For sure. It took me 3 days to find an error. You know what it was? It was the speed. The text I copied had 30ft. I just couldn't see it. Once I fixed that, that personality parsed just fine.

Ah this is a good idea, I can have to check to make sure the initial speed has a space then. ex 50ft., ---> 50 ft.,

pauljmendoza
March 29th, 2016, 22:38
Wow, very nice :)

kp9911
March 31st, 2016, 19:50
Update 1/4/2016 :

Spellcasting section added! It was a breeze to parse the Lich for once lol!

Tivaan01
April 2nd, 2016, 20:26
Very Very Nice indeed: possibly a Spell Creator

kp9911
April 5th, 2016, 11:00
Update: I digress I cannot work on this anymore at the moment, my laptop rolled a 1 and suffered a fatality. Once I get a new one, I will be back with rest of the TO DO list.

damned
April 5th, 2016, 12:52
:( May the dice gods show you their other face next time.

kp9911
April 5th, 2016, 12:59
:( May the dice gods show you their other face next time.

Do not worry Damned, I was able to salvage the magical device that converts sacred texts to monsters! It is safe in my hard disk of holding, all is not lost! Once I complete the necessary transmutation circles, I will be able to start that was not finished! Even a Lich cannot best me at necromancy.

PS: I was able to get the spellcasting feature out, parsing spellcasters was a breeze after that. :ninja:

callahan09
April 5th, 2016, 15:29
Would you consider making this open source? I actually took the liberty of DotPeeking it to make sure there was nothing untoward going on there, and it looked clean and solid to me, so I ran it, but I'm the type of person that won't run a random .exe from an unfamiliar source without peeking at what's inside first. Hope you don't mind. Thanks for developing this, it's pretty neat.

kp9911
April 5th, 2016, 16:24
Would you consider making this open source? I actually took the liberty of DotPeeking it to make sure there was nothing untoward going on there, and it looked clean and solid to me, so I ran it, but I'm the type of person that won't run a random .exe from an unfamiliar source without peeking at what's inside first. Hope you don't mind. Thanks for developing this, it's pretty neat.

Haha no worries, that can be arranged for however unfortunately you would need to wait a bit since my laptop got toasted and it will be awhile before I can get it back up

Mad Nomad
April 12th, 2016, 05:20
Hmm I'm running into an issue. Can't tell if I am doing something wrong with this or with Par5e.

I tried using it with the Knight NPC, copying from monster manual.
Clicked Add to list and selected the npcs.txt file in my Par5e Module path folder.
Then Used Par5E and pressed parse with both cmp and ref selected.

But its giving me a warning (shown below) and when I open the mod in FG I don't see the npc.

Any help or advice much appreciated.

Info : engine build .................................................. ..................... [v0.0.9-b62]
Info : ruleset library .................................................. .......................... [5E]
Info : module .................................................. .................... [Derek Custom NPCs]
Info : ruleset .................................................. .................................. [5E]
Info : folder structure .................................................. ............. [Already Exists]
Parse : npc .................................................. ........................ [KNIGHT - WARNING]
Parse : npcs .................................................. .............................. [Completed]
Make : npcs windowlists .................................................. .................. [Completed]
Make : npcs (campaign) .................................................. ................... [Completed]
Make : npcs (reference) .................................................. .................. [Completed]

Mad Nomad
April 12th, 2016, 05:21
Hmm I'm running into an issue. Can't tell if I am doing something wrong with this or with Par5e.

I tried using it with the Knight NPC, copying from monster manual.
Clicked Add to list and selected the npcs.txt file in my Par5e Module path folder.
Then Used Par5E and pressed parse with both cmp and ref selected.

But its giving me a warning and when I open the mod in FG I don't see the npc.

EDIT:
I narrowed it down to being something with the way this tool added it to the npcs.txt file, because I added another npc to the file by copying and pasting directly from the Par5e example and that one worked. So I must have entered something wrong when putting the text into this tool i guess?

I gradually replaced the knights text in the .txt file with the commoners wording and eventually it worked, but I could not narrow down what the issue was. I checked for doubles spaces and spaces inside of words and stuff, but that didn't seem to be it. No clue.

kp9911
April 12th, 2016, 05:28
The most common thing could be the speed, make sure it looks like 10 feet rather than 10feet.

Also a language would be required, I think it's not specified yet there.

Mad Nomad
April 12th, 2016, 05:50
Thanks, that helped. I think I figured it out. I think I forgot the (1d8) after the hit point total.
A nice feature enhancement might be to show the required syntax next to the input fields in the form so you can quickly double check to make sure what you've copied in matches.
This would be especially useful when trying to do what I am ultimately aiming at, which is copying from a 3rd party source, where it doesn't even follow the syntax exactly. For example, I'm using this 3rd party tool https://rpgtinker.com/ to generate some random NPCs, then copy/pasting them into this form, making some minor tweaks to their syntax, to quickly create custom npcs I can use in game.

kp9911
April 12th, 2016, 06:05
Good suggestion, I'll make a note of it.

kp9911
April 20th, 2016, 18:42
So to anyone whose following this thread, I finally managed to get my laptop back!! Next update would be this weekend hopefully!

damned
April 21st, 2016, 00:23
Im a following this thread!
Great news kp9911

No1Sciguy
April 29th, 2016, 19:44
Following (and awaiting eagerly to see what you come up with.)

JohnD
April 30th, 2016, 00:25
Following (and awaiting eagerly to see what you come up with.)

Indeed.

kp9911
April 30th, 2016, 08:20
Ah, that's nice to hear :D

I'm a little delayed since I am moving to a new platform (Sharp Developer for C# --> Visual Studio 2015 community edition). Once I move to this new platform, Ill be able to code faster, publish it to github so people have access to the code etc etc.

Ill be back later on in the day perhaps with an update!

PS: I am also working on creation my own parser for FG :D

kp9911
May 1st, 2016, 11:34
New version released, this would be the 3rd revision :D

Changelog:

Button to select file in order to save details has been implemented.
You can now change the "save to" file as many times as you like, without the need to close and open the application again.

Font size increased in the main text area to get a better look at whats happening to the input.

Innate spell casting section got the same treatment as the spell casting section.

Changes to the way speed is formatted.
Should you copy past speed from the PDF it mostly goes in as ex: 120ft., when it should be 120 ft., this cased the par5e app to throw errors.
The application should now handle this efficiently.

Language is now a required field.

kp9911
May 14th, 2016, 08:24
New version released. This would be the 4th revision.

Changelog

Reaction Section added.

epithet
May 15th, 2016, 17:19
This is a great convenience, thanks for making the tool. One question I have, though: why not output the NPCs directly as a .mod file instead of just as par5e-ready text?

kp9911
May 15th, 2016, 18:44
This is a great convenience, thanks for making the tool. One question I have, though: why not output the NPCs directly as a .mod file instead of just as par5e-ready text?

I'm getting there :D. Baby steps as they say. Also I didn't want to reinvent the wheel just yet :P

kp9911
May 21st, 2016, 12:04
To anyone following this thread, my own custom 5E parser is in the works, its just gonna be for the NPC section (for now ;))

If all goes well, I would be releasing a beta version to the public by early next month.

damned
May 22nd, 2016, 01:05
Very exciting kp9911

kp9911
June 5th, 2016, 18:47
The parser that goes along with this tool has been added!

Please note it is still in its early stages, so you can expect errors here and there, if you have the time please report those errors here as a reply to this forum post.
I would strongly advice backing up your module files + input text files before using the parsing part of the application.

kp9911
June 8th, 2016, 09:50
Updated with some essential bug fixes, application is now available for download again.

epithet
June 13th, 2016, 14:08
Very nice indeed.

PsychoPif
September 23rd, 2016, 00:43
Anything new on this front? I'm looking to go from purchased module to homebrewed and this tool will make it a lot easier on me.

kp9911
September 23rd, 2016, 10:18
Anything new on this front? I'm looking to go from purchased module to homebrewed and this tool will make it a lot easier on me.

Wow it's been a while since this thread had any action.
Presently you should not have an issue with NPCs. I think i had got stuck on classes and then life happened...

Is there something specific you were looking for?

PsychoPif
September 23rd, 2016, 14:32
Just wondering if development was ongoing. The roadmap was interesting with the class and the tooltip.

kp9911
September 24th, 2016, 07:00
Unfortunately since I have a new job + role, this took a back seat, heck I've not even been able to actually play D&D for a while now :c

But I will eventually get back to it, I was somewhere at the class parser if I remember correctly :D If ever there is an update it would be in this forum post.

PsychoPif
September 26th, 2016, 22:51
Unfortunately since I have a new job + role, this took a back seat, heck I've not even been able to actually play D&D for a while now :c

But I will eventually get back to it, I was somewhere at the class parser if I remember correctly :D If ever there is an update it would be in this forum post.

Understandable. I'll keep an eye out on this thread just in case :)

kp9911
October 2nd, 2016, 10:57
I've realized that since people are still interested in using a parser like this, I really ought to continue what I started.

I think I can devote an hour or so at least every other day to it, however I think I need to revamp the entire way classes are parsed since its really difficult and time consuming to use the same template as what the almighty Zeus uses.

So then this project would technically come out into 2 parts, namely a user interface to create a custom template much like the #input file required for par5e and then the actual program or process of converting that text into usable functions within the game.

So people who are following this thread look back here maybe next month for a full fledged class parser.

GunnarGreybeard
October 2nd, 2016, 11:19
That would be awesome. I cobbled together something using LibreOffice where I can plug information into a database then use a document merge to generate the text files for using in Par5e to process. Was extremely crude but it seemed to work ok for the most part. Unfortunately I had to abandon it due to RL workload. I should probably dig it back out and tweak it some more.

Myrdin Potter
October 2nd, 2016, 14:10
I'll follow the progress as well.

Torgaard
October 2nd, 2016, 22:51
So people who are following this thread look back here maybe next month for a full fledged class parser.

Yay! Thanks dude. :D

spite
October 3rd, 2016, 02:12
Awesome! Excited for this.

spite
October 3rd, 2016, 02:15
Also, is there anything I can offer my help with?

El Condoro
October 3rd, 2016, 10:46
This is a great tool. I can't seem to get the Speed field to 'work'. I type '30' or '30 ft' or whatever and nothing appears in the right-hand pane. All the other fields seem to function as expected, though.

Thanks for your work on this.

kp9911
October 3rd, 2016, 16:44
Also, is there anything I can offer my help with?

Once its done I could sure use some peeps to test it out :D

This is a great tool. I can't seem to get the Speed field to 'work'. I type '30' or '30 ft' or whatever and nothing appears in the right-hand pane. All the other fields seem to function as expected, though.

That's odd, will have a look and get back.

Edit: Confirmed that the speed stat is acting weird, will have a look when I do a revision.

spite
October 3rd, 2016, 19:41
Once its done I could sure use some peeps to test it out :D

That's odd, will have a look and get back.

I have all of the stuff I want to parse from the last 6 months sitting there waiting to test :)

kp9911
October 4th, 2016, 20:02
001A: Developers Ramblings (So I thought any of us could use the blog feature until I checked the FAQ lol.)

Understanding the reason you are programming a process is the very first thing you should ever do as a developer, it really helps sets the pace and gives you a nice list of things to do.

After meeting some success with the NPC parser I thought I would try my hand at the next best thing a full fledged class parser (Inspired by Dammed :P). So after carefully looking through the existing process and dissecting one of the client.xml's of a class I had already done with the help of par5e I noticed a lot of interesting things. Apart from normal blocks such as hit dice and proficiency modifiers, we had mixed with it all a lot of tables, lists and links to other parts of the module or even other modules for that matter.
It is after this revision I realized that in my original attempt at creating the parser I had made a mistake, I had not anticipated tables and lists and links everywhere, this bought me back to actually understand Zeus's method. In the text files for par5e, it probably reads on a line by line basis so there is no way I could reuse things from the code of the NPC parser since it was based on stacks and blocks and expected details to be in line and well formatted.
It was probably at this point I had given up on the class parser as the work to create a new one from scratch was alarming! And along with a new job and role was well down right difficult. However this time I can understand the complexity of the task ahead and hopefully I can plan better. Safe to say I need to take a dynamic approach rather than a rigid one I had adapted to with the Creature Creator.

damned
October 4th, 2016, 22:29
There is nothing wrong with requiring the data to be input in a specific stat block format.... par5e certainly does.

kp9911
October 5th, 2016, 05:00
True however I would like to give users the flexibility in adding a table here and there and not to mention interfaces of adding lists and links or references.

For example, the npc parser of mine does not specifically allow tables.

kp9911
October 7th, 2016, 06:37
002A: Developer Ramblings (I really wish I had a blog)

~~ "The hardest step is to start.... NOPE the hardest step is the one that you fall down on" ~ random ramblings

So development has finally started with the first couple of commits happening as well, I have planned on using a very object centered approach for which the inspiration comes from funnily enough the Class Feature of D&D 5E.

Classes are what forms the guts and what normally brings glory to PC's. You say you have a fireball spell(scroll. But you know non casting PC's excitement when they see FIREBALL written on it)! BUT! *queue NOIR music* Do you have spellcasting? If not make sure you have Wisdom because when that scroll turns to dust muhahahah you're gonna suffer you insolent non spellcaster attempting to cast a spell person you.

In a similar way I take an approach to coding. Does my class have what it takes to form the blocks required in XML... humm I dont think so, well then pheasant back to the drawing board! Keep doing this until you are happy. Once this step is done well basically its like filling a form. All the tags are in place and I just need to substitute place holders with the actual data, cast some complex pew pew **** on it and ta da the xmls are done! (At least I hope so)

LordEntrails
October 7th, 2016, 13:31
002A: Developer Ramblings (I really wish I had a blog)
All you got to do is email [email protected] and ask them to enable the blog for your account :) Just make sure you tell them the username and email address it's for.

kp9911
October 8th, 2016, 12:43
Can anyone point me to the XML structure for a character sheet on the wiki, I cannot seem to find it for some reason. :s

Zacchaeus
October 8th, 2016, 13:01
I'm not sure there is such a thing. But if you have a look in inside the db.xml of any campaign which has a character in it you'll see the structure there. You could also create a character and export it and then open up the xml to find the same thing.

kp9911
October 8th, 2016, 13:40
Thanks Zacchaeus, I was previously doing that however I was just wondering what the common tags were. I think the <reference> and <library> tags kinda encapsulate everything including spells, equipment etc.

Since I am progressing module wise, I was wondering what I should keep as a basic interface since I will do away with it (If I ever will) eventually for an all in one parser.

kp9911
October 12th, 2016, 17:21
003A : Developers Ramblings

"Rise my pretties, rise!! *evil laughter*" ~ "Em Lord Madam Elvina, your grace umm..." ~ "What, What is it?" ~ "Um... How do I put this?" ~ "Spit it out already!" ~ "The zombies you raised have no skeleton..... so ah, they cant "rise"" ~ "A great idea, lets get skeletons to rise as well!" ~ "*facepalm*"

An application falls flat without a good framework. Period. Safe to say this frame work is almost complete for the class parser! Time to move on to the *cough* zombie/meat and flesh (and brains?) of the application now!

kp9911
October 17th, 2016, 12:33
Small Update : I recently managed to get my paws on a new laptop so its going to take some time to set it up to where I left off. So for now dev work has stopped.

I also have something bigger in the works. What I am aiming for is a nice new intuitive UI on the front end, so for this I am getting updated on some skills, if I like what I see after mixing this cauldron, it might just reach you guys as well.

Further more I am changing my design pattern a bit and creating a master application, once this is done I can release modules step by step until maybe one day we will have another parser to use.

LordEntrails
October 17th, 2016, 16:35
Nice, thanks for keeping us updated.

kp9911
October 22nd, 2016, 09:31
Sneak peak at the new interface I'm working on!

This is an initial markup, I hope to change the color coding and font and what to to make it more D&D'indy

kp9911
October 22nd, 2016, 21:09
Two big thumbs up for this suggestion!

Spells are a real grey area in D&D since a lot of them are theater of mind based spells. Making a template to base spells on is not an easy task.

LordEntrails
October 22nd, 2016, 22:48
If it was easy, we wouldn't have left it to you to solve!
*G*

kp9911
October 23rd, 2016, 07:37
*insert NOT sure pic* Not sure if mocking or challenging me.

Nylanfs
October 23rd, 2016, 16:05
Yes

LordEntrails
October 23rd, 2016, 16:21
*lol* I meant it as a challenge, but I like Nylanfs' answer better *G*

kp9911
October 23rd, 2016, 16:37
LOL!!! This *might* be possible in the future, the current format I am trying to follow has been carefully scrutinized. My new goal for the application now is to release process on a module by module basis. However I cannot just say challenge accepted since I have a huge backlog of games to go through :P

Currently I am integrating the creature/NPC creator into the new base app. :D

Myrdin Potter
October 23rd, 2016, 19:50
Each little step forward is good to see. I am hoping that this eventually will be a tool to make modules, including "reference books" to more easily make more fully featured adventures and class options. Since par5e moved in house to Smiteworks, the public version is falling further and further behind in the new functionality added to the software.

kp9911
October 23rd, 2016, 20:33
As a person in the industry I do understand the reasoning behind discontinuing the public version of par5e, however what irks me a great deal is that quite a few of the processes are locked behind it.

The pop up on the archetype
Accessing references in a module
The upcoming split screen mode where you can have images in the reference section

While people will say that all of these are possible with XML edits, all I have to say is that a lot of people don't even know what XML stands for.

Par5e was actually the thing that made me buy fg in the first place, since the module automation was first class and fun to get into. Just entering details into a sheet can be done on roll 20 or in person or via skype for free. Since par5e allowed to create modules and automate all these processes we jumped into pitching funds for an ultimate liscense. Unfortunately for me I don't have anyone to play with 99% of the time because life and just playing with 2 people is rather boring and does not really capture the essence of the game.

The reason I am spending time with this application is because I don't want to be bogged down with all the XML edit work everytime I make a change. Completing this application will help make me churn out modules at a much faster pace and also keep up with the evolution of fg itself.

However I hope no circumstances present themselves where in I'm unable to continue development on it.

damned
October 23rd, 2016, 21:43
kp9911 these were features that were added to the ruleset after the public Par5e stopped being developed. They werent removed from Par5e and they werent deliberately left out.
The answers to 1 and 3 have been posted by the smiteworks team in these forums (somewhere) and for #2 simply create some references in a test campaign and export them to see the format of the links.
Keep up the good work man.

kp9911
October 24th, 2016, 04:52
That's not what I was getting at lol, I'm well aware of these things however what I wanted to state was that some of those examples mentioned above are not doable directly in fg, you still need to XML edit or use par5e.

kp9911
October 24th, 2016, 08:50

Since I was in the process of redoing the UI and making all the new connections for the NPC parser, I noticed what was causing this effect. For now you would need to add a period '.' after speed so for example 10 ft --> 10 ft.

When you do this you should be able to see it reflect in the text area.

El Condoro
October 24th, 2016, 10:55
Yep, that works. Cheers

kp9911
October 26th, 2016, 17:46
Small update, the NPC parser has been successfully moved to the new base application! I should be releasing it tomorrow after running some tests and what not. After that its tally ho! to the class module.

kp9911
October 27th, 2016, 17:09
Adding a sample of the new application I am working on, it currently contains only the NPC parser. Let me know what you guys think.

PS: There may be bugs here and there if you happen to find one do let me know! Thanks!

Known : Input and NPC path need to be entered as the same files for now, ill take care of this in a later build.

Enjoy folks!

spite
October 27th, 2016, 21:56
So this is intended to make the file that is then used in Par5e? All I have managed to get it to do is edit the .txt file, and don't understand how to make the actual module. All I get is https://puu.sh/rXLtI/b29d932fd6.png

kp9911
October 28th, 2016, 05:24
Hum, that's not expected. This application can make both the input file as well as parse it as a module directly. For parsing directly you need to hit the parse button at the top.

If possible could you please iterate what you did to get to that point as sharing the raw is not permitted I think.

EDIT : Another thing I can potentially see as a problem is the spacing in your folder names I'll need to check it out on my side to see if spaces in the file names are causing this.

EDIT 1: The current process to follow is

Set up the Input file and continue to add to list the NPC's that you have entered in. This should create the text file.
Set up the output and other details on the paths section and hit parse, this should create a module

OR (If you already have the text file)

Set up all the details in the paths section and then just hit Parse.

spite
October 28th, 2016, 09:04
Hum, that's not expected. This application can make both the input file as well as parse it as a module directly. For parsing directly you need to hit the parse button at the top.

If possible could you please iterate what you did to get to that point as sharing the raw is not permitted I think.

EDIT : Another thing I can potentially see as a problem is the spacing in your folder names I'll need to check it out on my side to see if spaces in the file names are causing this.

EDIT 1: The current process to follow is

Set up the Input file and continue to add to list the NPC's that you have entered in. This should create the text file.
Set up the output and other details on the paths section and hit parse, this should create a module

OR (If you already have the text file)

Set up all the details in the paths section and then just hit Parse.

I can't figure out a way to set an input file that doesn't already exist. If I select a folder it just sits at open waiting for another folder to be opened or a file to be selected. I Used the npcs.txt from my parse work already set up. I wonder if it's hanging on the ##; and #zl; links I have put in addition to the creature itself.
Let me try something...
Also, the raw should be fine as its all homebrew content not official content.

spite
October 28th, 2016, 09:08
Ok so I removed all the things I except for two new ones done in the parser, and it parsed correctly, module created. Added in the ##; and #zl;image; tags etc and it still parsed. So it must be something in the full text that's causing a hiccup somewhere. The whole text/module parses ok in Par5e, so am unsure where the issue might be. :(

edit: though, even after adding in the image and ##; links that par5e uses the images don't link or ##; text get copied in. So that might just be design?

kp9911
October 28th, 2016, 14:32
edit: though, even after adding in the image and ##; links that par5e uses the images don't link or ##; text get copied in. So that might just be design?

This functionality has not been included yet :). However it will appear sooner or later, for now its just the NPC's and no images and backgrounds.

I'm curious to know though what was causing the error before .... :confused:

I can't figure out a way to set an input file that doesn't already exist. If I select a folder it just sits at open waiting for another folder to be opened or a file to be selected.

Ah I see, the current control I have does not support creating a new file per se, Ill make a note of this.

spite
October 28th, 2016, 19:45
Cool beans. I probably wont look through my 400 monster list to find it out >.< I'll just keep adding monsters and parsing 1 at a time going forward, though I expect it would be pinging off some of the ##; content that's present in that list somewhere.

Nylanfs
October 28th, 2016, 20:46
Do it in half's

spite
October 29th, 2016, 00:34
Do it in half's

Not a dumb idea

kp9911
October 29th, 2016, 08:40
Hey Spite, I have updated the paser to make better use of the details from ##; on wards. Have a look at this one.

PS: It still does not take links into consideration, however your NPC stats page should stop looking ugly and all the flavor text should now move onto the details tab :P

EDIT: The NPC details section or flavor text has been moved to the NPC actions tab on the application, you can find the relevant text box in there.

EDIT 2: I am maintaining a log of fixes here (https://github.com/kay9911/FG5EParser/issues)

spite
October 30th, 2016, 03:34
Awesome, probably wont have much chance to throw in any more testing this week, as I have exams looming, but after they're done with I have around 100 monsters to parse so plenty of trialing to come.

kp9911
October 30th, 2016, 05:42
No hurry I still have weeks of work ahead of me to get the classes running lol

kp9911
November 5th, 2016, 16:27
So I have finally manged to get the reader and the writer up, wont be long before I can have the class module released, at least for its parsing ability. Was just wondering how do we denote that a feature is an archtype :confused: I'm not talking about the xml since I already have that all coded in, I am talking about what goes into the input file.

Since this feature never made it to the public domain, wondering if you guys have any suggestions. I know its as simple as adding in an extra line to denote it, but wondering if anyone already has something in mind.

Zacchaeus
November 5th, 2016, 16:55
I'm not terribly sure I understand the question. Can you elaborate on what you mean?

kp9911
November 5th, 2016, 17:27
My random ramblings again lol. I meant just like we have #ab; #abf; does anyone have a good idea what would go with the theme for the displaying the arch type.

I was gonna just put in another line, however since I have backward compatibility in place with what par5e uses, I was wondering what the community would like to see.

For example (this is what it would look like in the input file for par5e). The ones I have marked with italic are some of the plans I had.

#fearch;#fe;Divine Domain;1;Archtype
<b>Choose one domain related to your deity:</b>
#zls;
#zl;cleric_ability;Life Domain;
#zle;
<b>Each domain is detailed at the end of the class description, and each one provides examples of gods associated with it. Your choice grants you domain spells and other features when you choose it at 1st level. It also grants you additional ways to use Channel Divinity when you gain that feature at 2nd level, and additional benefits at 6th, 8th, and 17th levels.</b>
#bp;Domain Spells
Each domain has a list of spells—its domain spells— that you gain at the cleric levels noted in the domain description. Once you gain a domain spell, you always have it prepared, and it doesn’t count against the number of spells you can prepare each day.
If you have a domain spell that doesn’t appear on the cleric spell list, the spell is nonetheless a cleric spell for you.
Archtype

Zacchaeus
November 5th, 2016, 18:37
Archtype is probably quite good and descriptive. I like it.

kp9911
November 6th, 2016, 07:14
So I did an over nighter on this thing and finally got it complete some what! If anyone would like to help test it out please find the latest build of the parser in this post!

RULES OF ENGAGEMENT PLEASE READ

1) This IS NOT COMPLETE, it is still in testing phases. Output is not guaranteed. If you come across a problem I would really like it if you post the problem as a reply to this thread.
2) ZAL and ZLE links are not working at this time, they will see implementation in later builds.
3) The input file should have line breaks ONLY between classes, if there are any line breaks in between the class blocks you will most likely not get a good output.
4) For now, you can only directly parse the input files, I will be working on the UI for classes a bit later
5) IT DOES SUPPORT THE SAME FORMAT AS PAR5E FOR CLASSES :P
6) If you want to get the archtype popup, mention #archtype;
EXAMPLE :
#fe;Primal Path;3,6,10,14
At 3rd level ..................14th level.#archtype;
7) If you have #fe;Primal Path;3,6,10,14, you will see a pop up for the archtype selection every time it reaches the point where you get a new ability feature, this is lol really and I'm looking to see if this can be avoided.

Hope you guys enjoy using it as much as I enjoyed coding it!

EDIT: I have totally messed up the encoding kitten my life.... Sooooooooooo as an FYI certain characters like -, &, ', etc may not show up.
EDIT 2 : Cleared up the encoding problem.

Zacchaeus
November 6th, 2016, 13:48
So I did an over nighter on this thing and finally got it complete some what! If anyone would like to help test it out please find the latest build of the parser in this post!

7) If you have #fe;Primal Path;3,6,10,14, you will see a pop up for the archtype selection every time it reaches the point where you get a new ability feature, this is lol really and I'm looking to see if this can be avoided.

You don't put the levels that you gain abilities in the #fe but in the #abf

So if for example you get new spells or something at certain levels from an archetype feature it would look like

#fe;Primal Path;3

#abh;Primal Path
blah blah
#ab;Raging Spellcaster
blah blah
#abf;Spells;3,6,9,12

kp9911
November 6th, 2016, 13:58
Yup figured that out myself was however waiting to fool proof it

kp9911
November 6th, 2016, 19:40
Note to anyone using this for now it refuses to parse '&' properly even though I have the same encoding in place, weird, Ill need to have a check.

After parsing all my classes again, I can say with a big smile that what I had quit months ago is finally complete! Front page has been updated.

EDIT: If any of you admins can change the title of this thread, please let me know as it needs to read as FG5EParser now instead of how it stands correctly. If its too much of an issue, Ill just start another thread :P

mythikwolf
November 6th, 2016, 21:41
Is there a writeup anywhere with how this is intended to be used? As in a quick how to for the seriously slow like myself?

Zacchaeus
November 6th, 2016, 22:54
EDIT: If any of you admins can change the title of this thread, please let me know as it needs to read as FG5EParser now instead of how it stands correctly. If its too much of an issue, Ill just start another thread :P

Done

MentalChillness
November 7th, 2016, 00:10
Note to anyone using this for now it refuses to parse '&' properly even though I have the same encoding in place, weird, Ill need to have a check.

After parsing all my classes again, I can say with a big smile that what I had quit months ago is finally complete! Front page has been updated.

This is perfect for this comp-sci major! Nice job!

spite
November 7th, 2016, 03:49
You're the hero we need, not the hero we deserve.

kp9911
November 7th, 2016, 06:25
Is there a writeup anywhere with how this is intended to be used? As in a quick how to for the seriously slow like myself?

Ah I see, Ill get down to making one, for NPC's its pretty straight forward, for classes you can follow the UI pic I had uploaded in a post up top. Also for the class structure it supports what you would use in par5e.

Done

Thanks as always Zacchaeus :D

This is perfect for this comp-sci major! Nice job!

You're welcome to fork the repository, this application is open source for anyone and everyone to tinker with should they want to.

You're the hero we need, not the hero we deserve.

Lol spite, this community is full of them!

mythikwolf
November 7th, 2016, 06:42
Ah I see, Ill get down to making one, for NPC's its pretty straight forward, for classes you can follow the UI pic I had uploaded in a post up top. Also for the class structure it supports what you would use in par5e.

Thanks! Appreciate the work you are doing!

kp9911
November 7th, 2016, 18:01
Bug Fix : Archtype pop up did not work if the intended class feature was the last on this list of class features.
A temporary companion tutorial (will not be needed once I get the class UI up and running, for an in dept look I strongly suggest using the guide for par5e classes)

I just quickly threw that tutorial together, it will not be required post the UI release for classes :)

Myrdin Potter
November 8th, 2016, 04:02
I am about to fly home from HK and will try this out on the new ranger and the new barbarians that just came out. Thanks for doing this.

kp9911
November 8th, 2016, 12:03
UPDATES

Bug FIX
Ability descriptions got duplicated in other abilities later down the list

FEATURES ADDED
#zls; Support added
#zle; Support added

#zl;{characterclassname}_ability support added
#zal;{characterclassname}_ability support added
#zal;{characterclassname}_feature support added
#zal;{background} support added
#zal;{image} support added
#zal;{spellslist} support added
#zal;{spell} support added

SYNTAX : #zal;{class name}_ability;{ability name};{Module Name OR *};{Custom Text}
EXAMPLE : #zal;cleric_ability;Life Domain;*;Check this out

SYNTAX : #zal;background;{background name};{Module Name OR *};{Custom Text}
EXAMPLE : #zal;background;Acolyte;*;Check this out

SYNTAX : #zal;background_feature;{background name};{background feature};{Module Name OR *};{Custom Text}
EXAMPLE : #zal;background_feature;Acolyte;Shelter of the faithful;*;Background Feature Check

SYNTAX : #zal;image;{image name with extension};{Module Name OR *};{Custom Text}
EXAMPLE : #zal;image;id-00008;*;Image Test

SYNTAX : #zal;spellslist;{spell list name};{Module Name OR *};{Custom Text}
EXAMPLE : #zal;spellslist;Cleric;*;Spell List Test

SYNTAX : #zal;spell;{spell name};{Module Name OR *};{Custom Text}
EXAMPLE : #zal;spell;Guidance;*;Spell Test

You can see all these effects in action via the tutorial module.

Front page will be updated with the latest build of the application. Enjoy!

PS: If anyone wants to see specific ZAL reference links coded in please let me know, since for now I just do them as I feel like :P

kp9911
November 9th, 2016, 16:05
Feature Tease :P

This is what you can expect when the class UI is fully developed

https://i.imgur.com/gUWO60J.png

As you can see, its not perfect [red highlight] but I'm sure this is going to save people A LOT of time!

Myrdin Potter
November 14th, 2016, 18:31
The Barbarian and Bard new options in UA are just additional options for the existing classes. The new Ranger is a complete do over.

Is the class parser able to add options for existing classes that appear during character creation for the existing class or do I need to recreate the original class from the SRD and then add the additional options - so bard UA and Barbarian UA as new classes that include all the old options and add in the new ones too?

kp9911
November 14th, 2016, 18:38
If you already have the input file for par5e you can just append the new options to the input file and run the parse.

If not then you can just use the srd and append the options in there.

Myrdin Potter
November 14th, 2016, 18:42
I paid for all the 5e content and the SRD is built in so I never bothered to parse the existing classes. I do have the SRD document and will make new Bard and Barbarian classes with the new options. Would be nice if somehow we could just add onto the existing classes ...

kp9911
November 14th, 2016, 18:47
To be honest I don't think that's even possible, however is it like this in the sword coast adventure guide? As in just the archetypes and not the classes?

spite
November 14th, 2016, 19:29
Pretty sure there is nothing stopping people sharing the par5e file for the SRD content for you to add to if they were so inclined.

Myrdin Potter
November 14th, 2016, 19:45
I think if you include the license document you can share SRD but not without the actual OGL included.

I cannot figure out what I am supposed to do with the program, and have not used par5e yet (I have it installed and looked at it but have not needed it yet).

I was hoping that the class creator would be straightforward, but I guess I will wait until the UI is done as right now I have too much to learn to use it.

kp9911
November 14th, 2016, 19:51
Yup that's whats different with my version of the parser, I'm making a ui for markups required. I'll try my best to get it out tomorrow.
It's mostly done I just need to run some tests and tie up any loose ends.

Myrdin Potter
November 14th, 2016, 20:27
I was hoping for a GUI that had a template to fill out and where I could just cut and paste the text from the write-ups.

Probably just was being too lazy and trying to avoid learning XML mark-up. Will just have to learn it, I guess.

With a UA every week for a while, an way to use class parser would be very helpful.

kp9911
November 15th, 2016, 03:37
That's exactly what's coming up. Look back here later I'll most likely get it done just some testing left now from my side :)

Zhern
November 16th, 2016, 02:12
Have you given any thought to adding reference parsing functionality too? Really nice job on the Class and Creature parsers.

kp9911
November 16th, 2016, 04:42
If you're taking about zal and zl tags then yes some of them are already implemented.

If you're talking about the reference manual section in the module then that's a yes as well. I am going module by module until I manage to get the entire parser working. However do note that this takes a lot of time and fabricating a ui is actually more tedious than just the parser itself. And coupled with the fact that I primarily get to work with this mostly on weekends it's taking a lot longer.

Myrdin Potter
November 16th, 2016, 07:07
I have figuring out par5e on my list in the theory that it will help to learn this program as well. Hopefully you can do a short user instruction as well as part of the GUI.

Zhern
November 16th, 2016, 12:35
If you're taking about zal and zl tags then yes some of them are already implemented.

If you're talking about the reference manual section in the module then that's a yes as well. I am going module by module until I manage to get the entire parser working. However do note that this takes a lot of time and fabricating a ui is actually more tedious than just the parser itself. And coupled with the fact that I primarily get to work with this mostly on weekends it's taking a lot longer.

I'm talking about the reference manual section for creating rule reference manuals. I write code for a living and I can appreciate the time you have invested in putting this together. Luckily, it is much easier to put together an UI in WPF, especially if you aren't needing to do anything fancy to start. I'm currently working on creating the ruleset and modules for Swords & Wizardry and if I can find time between work, grad school, other miscellaneous adulting, and finishing the S&W work, I would be glad to help. I'm not sure if you are interested in forking your code on github or not, but I figured I would offer. Much like you, my time is limited and I work on things as I have a few spare minutes here and there.

In the meantime, I'll continue to use par5e. It is a bit finicky but it works well enough.

Anyway, thanks again for putting this together. Your work is appreciated.

Patrick/Zhern

kp9911
November 16th, 2016, 12:50
You're welcome to fork it! WPF is what I wanted but it was too difficult to work with since I had no prior info on.

Zhern
November 16th, 2016, 13:03
Okay, sounds good. I'll take a look at it. I believe I saw the link to your github somewhere but I can't recall where. Mind sharing it again?

What are you thinking about for UI if not WPF? There aren't many alternatives anymore for a windows app.

kp9911
November 16th, 2016, 13:58
The link is on the front page and I'm not sure the code is optimized to work with WPF since I'm aware you need the mvvm format.

The ui I'm using currently is just simply windows forms

EDIT: Just in case you cannot find it CLICK ME. (https://github.com/kay9911/FG5EParser)

Zhern
November 16th, 2016, 14:52
Thanks! I'll take a look at it. It might be easy enough to refactor so that WPF integration is easy. However, if you have already started on UI creation then I will look into the other parsing functionality.

Again, great job putting this all together!

kp9911
November 16th, 2016, 15:07
UI creation for Classes and NPC's is practically done, I may take a look at reference section or the story section next. The goal of my parser is simple and has 3 main corner stone functions

1) It has a UI to aid any users with the markup (either applied or automatic)
2) It supports existing RAW files that were used for par5e (Apart from #ZAL links everything else should be the same)
3) To keep up with FG's ever changing goodness! (If something like this is even possible lol)

Where the code is concerned I have used Strongly typed classes since it really helps a lot when building the XML's required for the modules.

kp9911
November 16th, 2016, 17:24
UI for classes has been released! User guide included in the .RAR.

Front page has been updated accordingly. Enjoy folks!

bestellen
November 17th, 2016, 13:10
UI for classes has been released!
Thanks.

kp9911
November 18th, 2016, 18:14
I seem to have stumbled upon a problem... The #abh; tag which basically indicates that the line is a Archtype Name gets placed on the last feature before it, so in other words the last feature of that class does not parse properly. You can see the feature name however when you click on it you cannot see the feature description.

Immediate walk around can be to simply edit the word file and shift #abh; to the next line.

Happy parsing!

Thegroo
November 19th, 2016, 01:54
I get an error when trying to parse a class file with a cleric class. The file parses fine with Par5e.

Thanks for any help

(The german message means: Index out of array-range)

kp9911
November 19th, 2016, 03:44
Okay here are some things you can check initially.

First thing would be to make sure there are no line breaks between the text of the classes. The only line break should be to differentiate between two classes.

Make sure all your features and ability features have proper levels assigned to them.

Edit : remove any zal zl type links as well from the input file.

Thegroo
November 19th, 2016, 15:06
I get an error when trying to parse a class file with a cleric class. The file parses fine with Par5e.

Thanks for any help

(The german message means: Index out of array-range)

Ok found that one: an #abf was missing the level

Thegroo
November 19th, 2016, 15:25
Found a bug/feature:

If there is a ' in a feature-name, it wont parse.

Bye the way, thanks for your work

kp9911
November 19th, 2016, 19:05
Alright I'll look into that, would just need to add ' to the list of things to convert.

kp9911
November 20th, 2016, 04:58
Found a bug/feature:

If there is a ' in a feature-name, it wont parse.

Bye the way, thanks for your work

It seems to work for me, I've checked it on

Feature Name
Archtype Name
Ability Feature Name

In all the three cases I have had it correctly parse.

Can you share a screen shot of whats not working for you so that I can try to replicate it?

Thegroo
November 20th, 2016, 12:08
That's one the offending Strings: (From a UA-PDF with the revised Ranger)
#abf;Stalker’s Dodge;15

Seems to be a charset problem: If i replace ’ with ' all is working fine.

Here the error message

PS: I posted the wrong char last night, sorry

kp9911
November 20th, 2016, 21:28
Goody! Thanks for reporting. I'll have this fixed up in the next build. Currently I'm busy analyzing reference and story entries.

spite
November 24th, 2016, 08:27
Are you meant to hit add to list for each section before moving on? Unfortunately I did the entire class and then clicked add to list but only the first section (hp equip etc) was added to the file. :(

kp9911
November 24th, 2016, 14:48
No, you need to add to list only after completing all sections...

This is a bug most likely. I'll have a look when I get home. Sorry for the inconvenience :c

kp9911
November 24th, 2016, 16:24
Spite you might have chanced upon a special scenario case I just did this and it both the dummy classes were written to the file. Could you let me know what you were tying to input?

##;Necromance
asdasdasdddasdasdasddd
Hit Points
Hit Dice: asdasd
Hit Points at 1st Level: asdas
Hit Points at Higher Levels: asdasdasd
Proficiencies
Armor: asdasd
Weapons: asd
Tools: sd
Saving Throws: asd
Skills: asd
Equipment
#ls;
#li;asdasdasdasd
#le;
#fe;asdasdasddd;1
asdasdasd
#fe;asdasdasd;3,4
asdasdasd#archtype;#abh;arc
#ab;arc1
asdasdasd
#abf;asfdsdfsdfssfsd;4
asdasdasdasd

##;Magickarp
asdasdasd
Hit Points
Hit Points at 1st Level: asdsad
Hit Points at Higher Levels: asdasd
Proficiencies
Armor: asd
Tools: asd
Equipment
#ls;
#li;asd
#le;
#fe;asdasd;1
asdasd
#fe;lalalala;2
asdasd#archtype;#abh;Spalsh
#ab;Use Splash
asdasdasd
#abf;asdasdj;6
sdfsdfsdf

Myrdin Potter
November 24th, 2016, 16:42
For fields like hit points and such, what is the expected format for the entry?

"1d10 (6)" for example?

spite
November 24th, 2016, 18:19
Spite you might have chanced upon a special scenario case I just did this and it both the dummy classes were written to the file. Could you let me know what you were tying to input?

##;Necromance
asdasdasdddasdasdasddd
Hit Points
Hit Points at 1st Level: asdas
Hit Points at Higher Levels: asdasdasd
Proficiencies
Armor: asdasd
Tools: sd
Equipment
#ls;
#li;asdasdasdasd
#le;
#fe;asdasdasddd;1
asdasdasd
#fe;asdasdasd;3,4
asdasdasd#archtype;#abh;arc
#ab;arc1
asdasdasd
#abf;asfdsdfsdfssfsd;4
asdasdasdasd

##;Magickarp
asdasdasd
Hit Points
Hit Points at 1st Level: asdsad
Hit Points at Higher Levels: asdasd
Proficiencies
Armor: asd
Tools: asd
Equipment
#ls;
#li;asd
#le;
#fe;asdasd;1
asdasd
#fe;lalalala;2
asdasd#archtype;#abh;Spalsh
#ab;Use Splash
asdasdasd
#abf;asdasdj;6
sdfsdfsdf

I had just filled in all sections, 4 archetypes, descriptions, abilities etc. Clicked "add to list" and the list only gave me

##;Alchemist
A drow crouches quietly in a small, dark room with an array of bottles, pouches, and small crossbow bolts spread out before him on an impromptu table. With great care, he dips the bolts into several substances and places them into a carefully crafted leather bracer strapped to his forearm. Packing away his things and drawing his hand crossbow, he quaffs a small vial of clear liquid and fades into invisibility, then slips into the hallway. Far at the end, he spots the guard and raises the first envenomed missile to deliver silent death.
Axes rise and fall as screams fill the air and travelers are butchered like livestock. In the back of a caravan wagon, a halfling sees a band of orcs killing his friends as he anxiously wrings his hands, seemingly conflicted about what to do. Steeling himself, he smears a cold, greasy paste onto his neck and feels a sheath of frost cover his body from head to toe. Blowing out a sigh, he trips the trigger in his mind and wills his grim, alter ego to take control as his entire body violently shifts and contorts. Vicious claws and teeth rapidly grow out of his small features. With a sneer, the monstrous figure leaps out of the wagon and sinks its fangs into a passing orc.
A half elf speaks quietly to his friends as he hands them each a vial of ruddy liquid. He bids them all to drink, and each of his companions seems to swell with vigor and confidence for the battle ahead. As the paladin prepares to kick in the door, the half elf quaffs a mixture of his own, then sets his jaw as his skin transforms into something dark and tough like tree bark.
A human charges headlong across a bloody battlefield, screaming defiance at her enemies. An empty vial tumbles free of her fingers as she moves with supernatural speed across the chaos. She perches atop a small rise and spies four enemy soldiers in the trench beneath her. With deft hands, she mixes and then throws a cluster of bombs at them. She runs off to another part of the battle even before the thunderous reports of the explosions stop echoing through the trench.
Alchemists are scientists who research and study to understand the world around them. They use their training to create alchemical creations like smoke sticks, alchemist’s fire, acids, and sundry other useful items. Alchemists are also individuals who understand that conventional science and magic are not two diametrically opposed forces, but rather two sides of the same coin in many ways. By combining them, alchemists are able to create strange and wonderful effects to empower the mind and body. Their scope does not end there, however, as alchemists also frequently experiment with potent destructive machinations.
#h;Scholarship and Discovery
Generally speaking, an alchemist is part student, part adventurer, and part mad scientist. They seek to understand the world and how it works by using their prolific intellects to conduct experiments and study the results. While wizards do study magic and treat it as an academic pursuit, alchemists are, on the whole, more interested in understanding the nature of the world, the multiverse, and reality itself than magic in the abstract. Whereas a wizard may study magic out of a desire to understand the essence of magic, alchemists tend to focus on the interaction of the many variables that conspire in any given situation.
To an alchemist, magic is just one factor in the grand equation that makes up reality, and it is no more or less important than flesh and blood, steel and stone, or even sentient thought. With that in mind, alchemists use all of the tools at their disposal, magic included, to hunt down new discoveries about the forces which keep existence in motion.
#h;Hands on Experience
Scholars, students, and researchers typically do not evoke the image of an adventurer when one thinks of them. In all practicality, though, there is only so much that can be learned in a classroom. Most alchemists have some degree of formal training, perhaps from a school or a personal mentor, but there comes a time when even the most stalwart bookworm realizes that their studies cannot effectively advance without experience in the real world. The world outside of the classroom is a varied and often dangerous place full of apparent randomness. While the controlled conditions of a sterile laboratory are often helpful for conducting experiments, most alchemists reach a point where they welcome this unpredictability in order to broaden their horizons.
Every situation one encounters while out adventuring forces one to look at a situation while in different states of mind and from new perspectives. Each crisis is an opportunity to learn some new secret that is just waiting for some visionary or pioneer to stumble upon it. The laboratory cannot produce the same opportunities for greatness that a life of adventuring can, and so it is understandable why many alchemists take up the mantle of the adventurer as they attempt to further their educations.
#h;#h;Creating an Alchemist
When you create an alchemist character, probably the first piece of the puzzle that makes up your character’s identity is determining where they got their start as an alchemist. Alchemy is a fairly esoteric pursuit, and its practice is not typically common knowledge. Whereas science and magic both have their places in most societies, it is somewhat rare that the two are systematically integrated together.
Did your character attend a school of some sort which imparted the secrets of alchemy? Or did you perhaps have access to a private tutor provided by your wealthy family? Or maybe you befriended a local hermit near your village who had more than a few tricks up his sleeve. In any case, knowing how you got your start down the path of the alchemist is critical to your character’s background.
What was your relationship like with your teacher(s)? Are you still in contact with them? Perhaps you work for them. Perhaps you were cast out by them. How does that relationship affect who you are, what you are doing, and why you are doing it?
The next important question is, what is your character’s motivation to study alchemy? What is it that you hope to discover or learn from your career of study and experimentation? Is there a particular goal you’re after, or is the pursuit of knowledge alone enough for you? In any case, what is it that drove you out into the world and a life of adventure? What is it that you want to learn so badly that you are willing to risk life, limb, or worse just to catch a glimpse of it? Or do you just welcome the challenge as something to test your skills against?
#h;Quick Build
You can make an alchemist quickly by following these suggestions. First, Intelligence should be your highest ability score, followed by Constitution or Dexterity. Second, choose the sage or cloistered scholar background. Third, choose the following 1st level formulae for your formula book: Armor of Agathys, Cure Wounds, Disguise Self, Expeditious Retreat, False Life, and Shield of Faith. Lastly, choose the High Yield Reaction alchemical esotery.

Hit Points
Hit Dice: 1d8 per alchemist level
Hit Points at 1st Level: 8 + your Constituion modifier
Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d8 (or 5) + your Constitution modifier per alchemist level after 1st
Proficiencies
Armor: Light armor
Weapons: Simple weapons, blowgun, thrown improvised weapons
Tools: Alchemist's Supplies
Saving Throws: Intelligence, Constitution
Skills: Choose two skills from Animal Handling, Arcana, History, Investigation, Medicine, Nature, Perception, and Sleight of Hand
Equipment
#ls;
#li;Any simple weapon
#li;(a) a light crossbow and 20 bolts or *(b)* a blowgun and 30 darts
#li;(a)* a scholar’s pack, or *(b)* an explorer’s pack
#li;Leather armor, a formula book, a dagger, and alchemist’s supplies
#li;
#le;

and nothing beyond that. But it did clear the windows of any input.

kp9911
November 24th, 2016, 18:54
For fields like hit points and such, what is the expected format for the entry?

"1d10 (6)" for example?

Check out spites entry here fot the alchemist. It should be as is in the player handbook or what ever source file you're using.

I had just filled in all sections, 4 archetypes, descriptions, abilities etc. Clicked "add to list" and the list only gave me

##;Alchemist
A drow crouches quietly in a small, dark room with an array of bottles, pouches, and small crossbow bolts spread out before him on an impromptu table. With great care, he dips the bolts into several substances and places them into a carefully crafted leather bracer strapped to his forearm. Packing away his things and drawing his hand crossbow, he quaffs a small vial of clear liquid and fades into invisibility, then slips into the hallway. Far at the end, he spots the guard and raises the first envenomed missile to deliver silent death.
Axes rise and fall as screams fill the air and travelers are butchered like livestock. In the back of a caravan wagon, a halfling sees a band of orcs killing his friends as he anxiously wrings his hands, seemingly conflicted about what to do. Steeling himself, he smears a cold, greasy paste onto his neck and feels a sheath of frost cover his body from head to toe. Blowing out a sigh, he trips the trigger in his mind and wills his grim, alter ego to take control as his entire body violently shifts and contorts. Vicious claws and teeth rapidly grow out of his small features. With a sneer, the monstrous figure leaps out of the wagon and sinks its fangs into a passing orc.
A half elf speaks quietly to his friends as he hands them each a vial of ruddy liquid. He bids them all to drink, and each of his companions seems to swell with vigor and confidence for the battle ahead. As the paladin prepares to kick in the door, the half elf quaffs a mixture of his own, then sets his jaw as his skin transforms into something dark and tough like tree bark.
A human charges headlong across a bloody battlefield, screaming defiance at her enemies. An empty vial tumbles free of her fingers as she moves with supernatural speed across the chaos. She perches atop a small rise and spies four enemy soldiers in the trench beneath her. With deft hands, she mixes and then throws a cluster of bombs at them. She runs off to another part of the battle even before the thunderous reports of the explosions stop echoing through the trench.
Alchemists are scientists who research and study to understand the world around them. They use their training to create alchemical creations like smoke sticks, alchemist’s fire, acids, and sundry other useful items. Alchemists are also individuals who understand that conventional science and magic are not two diametrically opposed forces, but rather two sides of the same coin in many ways. By combining them, alchemists are able to create strange and wonderful effects to empower the mind and body. Their scope does not end there, however, as alchemists also frequently experiment with potent destructive machinations.
#h;Scholarship and Discovery
Generally speaking, an alchemist is part student, part adventurer, and part mad scientist. They seek to understand the world and how it works by using their prolific intellects to conduct experiments and study the results. While wizards do study magic and treat it as an academic pursuit, alchemists are, on the whole, more interested in understanding the nature of the world, the multiverse, and reality itself than magic in the abstract. Whereas a wizard may study magic out of a desire to understand the essence of magic, alchemists tend to focus on the interaction of the many variables that conspire in any given situation.
To an alchemist, magic is just one factor in the grand equation that makes up reality, and it is no more or less important than flesh and blood, steel and stone, or even sentient thought. With that in mind, alchemists use all of the tools at their disposal, magic included, to hunt down new discoveries about the forces which keep existence in motion.
#h;Hands on Experience
Scholars, students, and researchers typically do not evoke the image of an adventurer when one thinks of them. In all practicality, though, there is only so much that can be learned in a classroom. Most alchemists have some degree of formal training, perhaps from a school or a personal mentor, but there comes a time when even the most stalwart bookworm realizes that their studies cannot effectively advance without experience in the real world. The world outside of the classroom is a varied and often dangerous place full of apparent randomness. While the controlled conditions of a sterile laboratory are often helpful for conducting experiments, most alchemists reach a point where they welcome this unpredictability in order to broaden their horizons.
Every situation one encounters while out adventuring forces one to look at a situation while in different states of mind and from new perspectives. Each crisis is an opportunity to learn some new secret that is just waiting for some visionary or pioneer to stumble upon it. The laboratory cannot produce the same opportunities for greatness that a life of adventuring can, and so it is understandable why many alchemists take up the mantle of the adventurer as they attempt to further their educations.
#h;#h;Creating an Alchemist
When you create an alchemist character, probably the first piece of the puzzle that makes up your character’s identity is determining where they got their start as an alchemist. Alchemy is a fairly esoteric pursuit, and its practice is not typically common knowledge. Whereas science and magic both have their places in most societies, it is somewhat rare that the two are systematically integrated together.
Did your character attend a school of some sort which imparted the secrets of alchemy? Or did you perhaps have access to a private tutor provided by your wealthy family? Or maybe you befriended a local hermit near your village who had more than a few tricks up his sleeve. In any case, knowing how you got your start down the path of the alchemist is critical to your character’s background.
What was your relationship like with your teacher(s)? Are you still in contact with them? Perhaps you work for them. Perhaps you were cast out by them. How does that relationship affect who you are, what you are doing, and why you are doing it?
The next important question is, what is your character’s motivation to study alchemy? What is it that you hope to discover or learn from your career of study and experimentation? Is there a particular goal you’re after, or is the pursuit of knowledge alone enough for you? In any case, what is it that drove you out into the world and a life of adventure? What is it that you want to learn so badly that you are willing to risk life, limb, or worse just to catch a glimpse of it? Or do you just welcome the challenge as something to test your skills against?
#h;Quick Build
You can make an alchemist quickly by following these suggestions. First, Intelligence should be your highest ability score, followed by Constitution or Dexterity. Second, choose the sage or cloistered scholar background. Third, choose the following 1st level formulae for your formula book: Armor of Agathys, Cure Wounds, Disguise Self, Expeditious Retreat, False Life, and Shield of Faith. Lastly, choose the High Yield Reaction alchemical esotery.

Hit Points
Hit Points at 1st Level: 8 + your Constituion modifier
Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d8 (or 5) + your Constitution modifier per alchemist level after 1st
Proficiencies
Armor: Light armor
Weapons: Simple weapons, blowgun, thrown improvised weapons
Tools: Alchemist's Supplies
Saving Throws: Intelligence, Constitution
Skills: Choose two skills from Animal Handling, Arcana, History, Investigation, Medicine, Nature, Perception, and Sleight of Hand
Equipment
#ls;
#li;Any simple weapon
#li;(a) a light crossbow and 20 bolts or *(b)* a blowgun and 30 darts
#li;(a)* a scholar’s pack, or *(b)* an explorer’s pack
#li;Leather armor, a formula book, a dagger, and alchemist’s supplies
#li;
#le;

and nothing beyond that. But it did clear the windows of any input.

Strange, if this homebrew is open source could you please direct me to a link I'll try my hand at it as well.

Myrdin Potter
November 26th, 2016, 00:36
How do you enter the standard table for each class with level, proficiency bonus, features and then spells known per level if applicable? Or step up the proficiency bonus as a character goes up in level?

I am trying to do the UA Ranger right now. If I just cut and paste the table in descriptions and call it a table, any spaces are replaced by ; so you end up with weird columns.

kp9911
November 26th, 2016, 06:15
How do you enter the standard table for each class with level, proficiency bonus, features and then spells known per level if applicable? Or step up the proficiency bonus as a character goes up in level?

I am trying to do the UA Ranger right now. If I just cut and paste the table in descriptions and call it a table, any spaces are replaced by ; so you end up with weird columns.

Tables by far are the hardest thing to copy from the PDF, what I do first is format the text in Note Pad++ (Free to download and use). So this is what it looks like after the hidden spaces are removed.

The Ranger
Proficiency
Level Bonus Features
1st +2 Favored Enemy, Natural Explorer
2nd +2 Fighting Style, Spellcasting
3rd +2 Primeval Awareness, Ranger Conclave
4th +2 Ability Score Improvement
5th +3 Ranger Conclave feature
6th +3 Greater Favored Enemy
7th +3 Ranger Conclave feature
8th +3 Ability Score Improvement, Fleet of Foot
9th +4 —
10th +4 Hide in Plain Sight
11th +4 Ranger Conclave feature
12th +4 Ability Score Improvement
13th +5 -
14th +5 Vanish
15th +5 Ranger Conclave feature
16th +5 Ability Score Improvement
17th +6 —
18th +6 Feral Senses
19th +6 Ability Score Improvement
20th +6 Foe Slayer

This is what it looks like after I have copy pasted it into the description section in the application and selected "Make Table" for the required lines of text.

#h;The Ranger
#bp;Proficiency
#ts;
#th;Level;Bonus;Features ;
#tr;1st;+2;Favored;Enemy,;Natural;Explorer
#tr;2nd +2;Fighting;Style,;Spellcasting
#tr;3rd +2;Primeval;Awareness,;Ranger;Conclave
#tr;4th +2;Ability;Score;Improvement
#tr;5th +3;Ranger;Conclave;feature
#tr;6th +3;Greater;Favored;Enemy
#tr;7th +3;Ranger;Conclave;feature
#tr;8th +3;Ability;Score;Improvement,;Fleet of;Foot
#tr;9th +4;—
#tr;10th;+4;Hide;in Plain;Sight
#tr;11th;+4;Ranger;Conclave;feature
#tr;12th;+4;Ability Score;Improvement
#tr;13th;+5;-
#tr;14th;+5;Vanish
#tr;15th;+5;Ranger;Conclave feature
#tr;16th;+5;Ability Score;Improvement
#tr;17th;+6;—
#tr;18th;+6;Feral;Senses
#tr;19th;+6;Ability;Score;Improvement
#tr;20th;+6;Foe;Slayer
#te;

Now as you can see there are a lot of space issues and what not because the OCR from the PDF was not that good. Also, note that the application considers each space as a word break and hence you might find ";" in between words, these need to be removed manually. So in this case unfortunately you would need to manually edit to..

#h;The Ranger
#ts;
#th;Level;Proficiency;Bonus Features
#tr;1st;+2;Favored Enemy, Natural Explorer
#tr;2nd;+2;Fighting Style, Spellcasting
#tr;3rd;+2;Primeval Awareness, Ranger Conclave
#tr;4th;+2;Ability Score Improvement
#tr;5th;+3;Ranger Conclave feature
#tr;6th;+3;Greater Favored Enemy
#tr;7th;+3;Ranger Conclave feature
#tr;8th;+3;Ability Score Improvement, Fleet of Foot
#tr;9th;+4;—
#tr;10th;+4;Hide in Plain Sight
#tr;11th;+4;Ranger Conclave feature
#tr;12th;+4;Ability Score Improvement
#tr;13th;+5;-
#tr;14th;+5;Vanish
#tr;15th;+5;Ranger Conclave feature
#tr;16th;+5;Ability Score Improvement
#tr;17th;+6;—
#tr;18th;+6;Feral Senses
#tr;19th;+6;Ability Score Improvement
#tr;20th;+6;Foe Slayer
#te;

Which finally looks like...
https://i.imgur.com/7mLWl7n.png (https://imgur.com/7mLWl7n)

Myrdin Potter
November 26th, 2016, 06:22
And then I make a new table for the spells by level? In the actual document it is all one giant table.

And the proficiency update, goes from +2 to +3 and so on as you level up. Where does that go and it is automatic if you drag and drop as you level up?

kp9911
November 26th, 2016, 16:10
You can make it one table but it's gonna look squashed.

The proficiency bonus if I'm not mistaken is that's handled exclusively by the app and not by the XML in and way.

Myrdin Potter
November 28th, 2016, 19:28
I am slowly working through creating the UA ranger.

What about spellcasting ability? Where is that added in the class parser and does it produce a mod that automatically updates spells and such when you level up? Dragging and dropping the class name like the PHB classes?

KlatuB
November 29th, 2016, 02:11
kp9911, I love the program so far, it has saved me loads of time and formatting headaches from manually creating class entries. So far I been using the program to just create the file so I can use par5e to create the module, I have tried to use your program (parse button) to create the module but I keep getting System.OutOfMemoryException errors. The attached screenshot shows the path information and the error that is displayed after about a minute. I have tried both the file I created with your program and your "tutorial.txt" file. I have also attached the class.txt file, the file will parse in Zeus's program.

spite
November 29th, 2016, 03:31
Is there any chance of #zal;npc; support?
Especially useful with monsters that summon allies etc.

kp9911
November 29th, 2016, 06:24
I am slowly working through creating the UA ranger.

What about spellcasting ability? Where is that added in the class parser and does it produce a mod that automatically updates spells and such when you level up? Dragging and dropping the class name like the PHB classes?

Hey Myrdin, most of these details that you speak of are more or less handled by FG internally. I will still have a look to see if anything else would be required in the xml should it change for spell casters, but so far I've not run into any issues parsing my own classes.

Spell casting ability is generally a feature in the class and flows along the lines of... just have a look see at the PDF you're using it should be described in a similar way below.

<b>Spell save DC</b> = 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Intelligence modifier
<b>Spell attack modifier</b> = your proficiency bonus + your Intelligence modifier

kp9911, I love the program so far, it has saved me loads of time and formatting headaches from manually creating class entries. So far I been using the program to just create the file so I can use par5e to create the module, I have tried to use your program (parse button) to create the module but I keep getting System.OutOfMemoryException errors. The attached screenshot shows the path information and the error that is displayed after about a minute. I have tried both the file I created with your program and your "tutorial.txt" file. I have also attached the class.txt file, the file will parse in Zeus's program.

Glad to know the application is helping! I have had a look at your text file and the reason you are constantly getting that error is because of the line breaks. I will try and address this properly in the application, however its currently more work than intended for now so its on the back burner for awhile. Check the attachment in this post, I have done nothing else but remove line breaks within the class block and the archtype skill just has one level rather than every level, since you will keep getting a popup to choose something, every time that level is hi

Is there any chance of #zal;npc; support?
Especially useful with monsters that summon allies etc.

Sure I think I can fit it in for the story build that I should be releasing later on today. :ninja:

Myrdin Potter
November 29th, 2016, 06:29
I am confused. Rangers get different spells than clerics which are different than wizards. You are saying that I should just parse the text from the class and it will all work out?

There is a spells known and spell slots per level part of the giant table. That is not coded into the xml in a special way?

kp9911
November 29th, 2016, 07:02
From my experience I've not entirely noticed it happen with par5E, every time we make classes its more or less works out with some modifications from our side if it does not look good enough. The XML that gets generated in my application is similar to what you would expect for par5E, however I have to admit I've not checked if spell casters are parsed differently and neither have I noticed it in par5E's XML so far.

However as I mentioned you do make a good point, I'll have a look by parsing the UA Ranger myself to have a look.

Myrdin Potter
November 29th, 2016, 07:09
I may just not understand how it works but I set up a ton of characters from levels 1-10 and the action tab on that character sheet is auto-populated with the number of spells slots. That needs to come from somewhere for all spell casters ...

spite
November 29th, 2016, 07:49
I know that somewhere something is tagged with them being a full caster, a half caster (like a ranger) or a 1/3 caster (paladin) and that's where the spell slots come from. Not sure how that fits in though.

kp9911
November 29th, 2016, 08:17
Good to know, I have missed this detail, since I defiantly don't remember coding anything in which points to casting specifications. Back to the drawing board :ninja:

Myrdin Potter
November 29th, 2016, 15:27
You can, obviously, enter the spell casting as a feature, but the table that tells you how many spells are known and what slots you have is in the giant table I was discussing when I was asking about tables. FG does not seem to police spells known but it does provide the spell slots.

kp9911
November 29th, 2016, 16:39
So I ran some checks and this is what I could see

Par5e - NO Spell slots added [The feature spellcasting should be spelt as spellcasting and not spell casting]
My application - NO spell slots added [The feature spellcasting should be spelt as spellcasting and not spell casting]
SRD - Spell slots applied automatically!

There seems to be something that was added that we don't know about lol. Any forum vets care to help us out here?

This is what I can see when I create the charachter, I have not seen these tags before :ninja:

<powergroup>
<id-00001>
<castertype type="string">memorization</castertype>
<name type="string">Spells</name>
<stat type="string">intelligence</stat>
</id-00001>
</powergroup>

EDIT : Spell casting seems to be very very closely linked to the term "spellcasting", if you spelt it as "spell casting" it will not work.

EDIT 2: IT DOES DEPEND ON THE TABLE THAT CONTAINS SPELLCASTING OMG!

Myrdin Potter
November 30th, 2016, 00:28
I am happy my poorly trained fumbling is discovering something ....

Par5e is quite good and the internal tools are decent. Your parser is coming along pretty well. The issue I have is that programmers and people that understand parsing create them.

My dream is that there will be a tool that allows me to create character classes and adventures and get the nice formatting that FG is actually capable of without learning every xml tag there is.

I started doing HTML in notepad when it first started to be used more and more, but I fell in love with the more word processor type of web page tools and I like Wordpress a lot today.

I apologize for being a pain in the *** about documentation and a UI, you obviously are much more skilled than I am. I will try and help by using your great tool and asking more and more questions as I try to do things.

kp9911
November 30th, 2016, 04:36
Haha that's perfectly fine! Multiple pairs of eyes are better than one I say.

The ui element that's being added to my parser is to address the very reason you speak off. Since programming earns me my daily bread I'm proficient in it, however most people are not. Let's just say fg5eparser is my small contribution to this community and company.

I've even kept the code open source so people know what they are executing and in case I am unable to continue someone else can continue. Everyone is proficient in their own way here at fg :D

Myrdin Potter
November 30th, 2016, 07:26
So what do I do to add the spellcasting? Where do I put the table?

kp9911
November 30th, 2016, 08:59
From what I can see of the 5E ruleset code there are two types of "powergroups"; "Spellcating" seen in most classes that are multipart caster and full casters and "Pact Magic", seen only in Warlocks (and Order of the profane soul for witch hunters if you're into the free module thats on the forums)

Both of these power groups cater to separate spell casting bars seen in the actions tab of the character sheet. It is safe to say they need to be typed correctly and no unnecessary spaces other than what is specified should be included. Both of these conditions can be applied either via the Class Features or the Class Abilities

For spellcasting it should read as

#fe;Spellcasting;{Level at which the class obtains this feature} OR #abf;Spellcasting;{Level at which the class obtains this ability feature}

This has spell slots per level

For pact magic it should read as

#fe;Pact Magic;{Level at which the class obtains this feature} OR #abf;Pact Magic;{Level at which the class obtains this ability feature}

This has spell slots of a particular level

As far as the tables which "seem" to dictate what happens with the spell slots for now I can only speculate and say it goes in the description section. I have no mined through the code to tell me exactly how FG interacts with the data, should I pick up something Ill update this space accordingly.

Unfortunately these processes are not documented so a quick check is not so easy :c

Myrdin Potter
November 30th, 2016, 18:43
This might we an opportunity for a UI element to properly populate and format the required table.

kp9911
December 1st, 2016, 14:57
I think I'll include this foot note in the reference guide on how to use the tool since creating a table is already part of the functionality.

Myrdin Potter
December 1st, 2016, 15:54
I think I'll include this foot note in the reference guide on how to use the tool since creating a table is already part of the functionality.

Sure, but if you want to make the formatting of the table "fool proof" (or Myrdin proof) and a spell caster will always need a table, a GUI interface like you did in the npc builder would cut down on "an extra space and now no spell slot errors".

MentalChillness
December 1st, 2016, 16:43
PDFs really are space monsters.

KlatuB
December 1st, 2016, 22:38
In a custom class that I'm parsing, I have a "Fighting Style" feature Archery, Defense, Dueling & Great Weapon Fighting (in this case). I have successfully created the feature and can use it but I want to make it more functional, is it possible to create (what I'll call) sub-feature links so I can drag the desired style to character sheet.

Zacchaeus
December 1st, 2016, 23:20
In a custom class that I'm parsing, I have a "Fighting Style" feature Archery, Defense, Dueling & Great Weapon Fighting (in this case). I have successfully created the feature and can use it but I want to make it more functional, is it possible to create (what I'll call) sub-feature links so I can drag the desired style to character sheet.
Not in the current version of Fantasy Grounds.

Thegroo
December 2nd, 2016, 01:40

I did it like this:

#abh;Class Abilities
#ab;Fighting Style L1
You adopt a particular style of fighting as your specialty. Choose one of the following options. You can’t take a Fighting Style option more than once, even if you later get to choose again.
#abf;Archery;1
You gain a +2 bonus to attack rolls you make with ranged weapons.
#abf;Defense;1
While you are wearing armor, you gain a +1 bonus to AC.
#abf;Dueling;1

kp9911
December 2nd, 2016, 05:04
Interesting, so this does not effect the actual archetype paths?

Thegroo
December 2nd, 2016, 10:02
I'll have to retest this in the new version.
When i did it, there was no automatism in the archtype paths.

Zacchaeus
December 2nd, 2016, 10:42
I did it like this:

#abh;Class Abilities
#ab;Fighting Style L1
You adopt a particular style of fighting as your specialty. Choose one of the following options. You can’t take a Fighting Style option more than once, even if you later get to choose again.
#abf;Archery;1
You gain a +2 bonus to attack rolls you make with ranged weapons.
#abf;Defense;1
While you are wearing armor, you gain a +1 bonus to AC.
#abf;Dueling;1

I doubt this would work actually since the heading (the abh; part) needs to be the name of the archetype. So if you have an earlier #fe;Martial Archetype then unless your #abh; is also Martial Archetype I don't think FG will find the archetypes. Additionally once you've chosen the fighting style, assuming tht worked, I don't think it will then allow an archetype to be selected.

Thegroo
December 2nd, 2016, 19:29
As i've done it with the public version i get no automatic pop up for the archtype, but have to chose manually.

I took Fighting style and had to add the style manually.
At level 3 i took 'Archfighter' manually (It has features at L 3, 7, 10, 15 18
The L3 feature i had to add manually, but the L 7,10... features got added automaticaly.

So it works in a kind of way

kp9911
December 2nd, 2016, 20:16
Were you able to get the same result with this parser?

Thegroo
December 2nd, 2016, 22:11
I can't parse the class at the moment. I get an error: something went wrong when analysing 'EntityName' (or so. original is in german).
I first have to hunt this error down.

Thegroo
December 2nd, 2016, 23:04
I got the class parsed with the pop-ups working.

#fe;Fighting Style;1
blabla #archtype;

Triggers the pop-up and i select 'Fighting Styles'. (Problem: all the styles get added)

#fe;Martial Archetype;3
blabla #archtype;

Triggers the pop-up again and i can select another archtype.

There has to be no name-reference between the #abh; and the triggering #fe;

Thegroo
December 2nd, 2016, 23:11
I found a problem:
If you have a char like :.* in the name of an #fe; or #abf; you get an error in FG: unable to find data record....

Thegroo
December 2nd, 2016, 23:29
I found another problem:
If you have & somewhere in the text, the class won't parse.

PS: thanks for your great work

kp9911
December 3rd, 2016, 05:31
Par5e the one I have based my application on was the reason I even bothered to expend a level 9 spell slot on fg.

Then after realizing it does not receive support anymore, I thought I might as well carry on the legacy.

EDIT: Just noted that you're new here! So welcome to Fantasy Grounds!

KlatuB
December 3rd, 2016, 20:03
kp9911, if I want to have links for the armor, weapons & adventuring gear list what would the syntax be for them everything I have tried only appends the link text to the end of the prior entry.

kp9911
December 3rd, 2016, 20:18
KlatuB, I have not implemented those links yet. For now you'll have to use a placeholder. I'll try getting it done the next time I release the application again.

KlatuB
December 3rd, 2016, 20:34
KlatuB, I have not implemented those links yet. For now you'll have to use a placeholder. I'll try getting it done the next time I release the application again.

Sounds good, I have another one for you, I'm not sure is this is a problem with the parser or the way FG is coded.

I have successfully parsed the #zal;spellslist;wizard;*;Battlemage Spells link, the problem that I'm running into in FG is depending which modules I have loaded the list changes. If I have both the Sword Coast Adventures Guide and the PHB loaded the spell list will only contain spells from the Sword Coast Adventures Guide. I was expecting a combined list.

Zacchaeus
December 3rd, 2016, 21:32

Sounds good, I have another one for you, I'm not sure is this is a problem with the parser or the way FG is coded.

I have successfully parsed the #zal;spellslist;wizard;*;Battlemage Spells link, the problem that I'm running into in FG is depending which modules I have loaded the list changes. If I have both the Sword Coast Adventures Guide and the PHB loaded the spell list will only contain spells from the Sword Coast Adventures Guide. I was expecting a combined list.

If you go into your Library and tick the 'Spells' tick box at the top of the Library window you'll get a big button on the right. Click that to open the spells list. You can then filter that list to see all, none, SCAG or PHB spells. The spells listed by clicking on the Library window will only show the spells from whatever publication is selected in the left hand window.

KlatuB
December 4th, 2016, 02:07
Thanks Zacchaeus, I already knew about the spells button. What I really want is a link on the class to the Wizards spells (Like on the Cleric Spellcasting feature) from the PHB. The closest I could come without knowing the module name of the PHB is

#zal;spellslist;wizard;*;Battlemage Spells

with the above link, if I have SCAG & PHB open. I only get the 4 spells from SCAG, I have to close SCAG to get the PHB spells

kp9911
December 4th, 2016, 05:20
That's because the zal and * combination picks up the first match it finds. I'm not sure if fg can be tweaked to pick them all up or I could also simply be missing something.

KlatuB
December 4th, 2016, 05:55
Thanks for the update kp9911, does anyone know what the module name for the PHB is so I can replace the *.

kp9911
December 4th, 2016, 06:38
The module name is as you see it in the library.

KlatuB
December 4th, 2016, 16:54
Thank kp9911, adding DD PBH Deluxe (see below) worked.

#zal;spellslist;wizard;DD PHB Deluxe;Battlemage Spells

kp9911
December 4th, 2016, 17:29
Just note however, you will not see the SCAG spells as well...

Zacchaeus
December 4th, 2016, 18:01
As I said in my post earlier the only place you can find the combined list is from the spell list down the right hand side.

If you want to link to all the spells then you'd need to zlink to both sources separately.

rob2e
December 5th, 2016, 01:54
kp9911, will the class parser allow you to input PARTIAL info. For example, if you want to just do an archetype of a class, rather than a whole class. Or do you have to enter the whole class info as well as the archetype?

ThanX!

kp9911
December 5th, 2016, 04:25
For now atleast it's got to be with the class. The main dependencies are the class name and the feature that grants the archetypes. This is what tells the app that hey! The player has hit this level and it's a specialization choice he needs to pick something.

What people have done so far is basically use srd data and put in the new archetypes at the end.

I think only the class name along with the feature that grants the arctype and the new archetypes are really needed, so long as you use levels from the complete one.

rob2e
December 5th, 2016, 19:55
For now atleast it's got to be with the class. The main dependencies are the class name and the feature that grants the archetypes. This is what tells the app that hey! The player has hit this level and it's a specialization choice he needs to pick something.

What people have done so far is basically use srd data and put in the new archetypes at the end.

I think only the class name along with the feature that grants the arctype and the new archetypes are really needed, so long as you use levels from the complete one.

Which source are people using to copy the SRD text itself? The WotC website is HORRIBLE (for this purpose), is there a specific way people are getting the SRD text to be able to use it in the parser?

KlatuB
December 6th, 2016, 01:08
I'm having problems with #zal; links created from FG5eParser

1. #zal;spell;Alter Self;*;Spell Test
<link class="reference_spell" recordname="reference.spelldata.alterself@*">Spell Test</link>

2. #zal;spell;Speaker Of All;Dragon Spells;Speaker Of All
<link class="reference_spell" recordname="reference.spelldata.speakerofall@Dragon Spells">Speaker Of All</link>

3. #zal;spell;Speaker Of All;*;Speaker Of All
<link class="reference_spell" recordname="reference.spelldata.speakerofall@*">Speaker Of All</link>

1. The link to the PHB spell works if PHB is open
2. The link produces a blank spell page, if you have the spell list (via button) you will see a "new" spell was created
3. The link produces an error: Could not open sheet with data from unloaded module (*), even if the module the spell is in is open.

Here is the class and spell module

Zacchaeus
December 6th, 2016, 01:31
How did you create the spell module? You are searching for a spell in a reference module. If the spell module wasn't created as a reference it won't find it.

KlatuB
December 6th, 2016, 01:41
How did you create the spell module? You are searching for a spell in a reference module. If the spell module wasn't created as a reference it won't find it.

The spells were created in a campaign and then exported, I don't see an option to make the module a reference module when exporting.

kp9911
December 6th, 2016, 03:38
Which source are people using to copy the SRD text itself? The WotC website is HORRIBLE (for this purpose), is there a specific way people are getting the SRD text to be able to use it in the parser?

Well there are online tools, OCR in the PDF itself, or just brutal copy pasta.

The good thing is even though the lines are horribly double spaced, when you parse the input file it should look normal, since the application removes up to triple spacing.

Myrdin Potter
December 6th, 2016, 05:40
I find that the version that is in the chrome browser (pdf from WoTC site) cuts and pastes much cleanewr than when you download it and bring into Adobe Reader which seems to put a LF after every word if you cut and past from there.

Zacchaeus
December 6th, 2016, 11:30
The spells were created in a campaign and then exported, I don't see an option to make the module a reference module when exporting.

You'll need to use par5e to create a reference manual. You can't export to a reference from within FG.

Nylanfs
December 6th, 2016, 17:12

Well there is the Hypertext 5e SRD (https://5e.d20srd.org/) & the Open Gaming Store's 5e SRD (https://www.5esrd.com/)

Trenloe
December 6th, 2016, 17:26
3. #zal;spell;Speaker Of All;*;Speaker Of All
<link class="reference_spell" recordname="reference.spelldata.speakerofall@*">Speaker Of All</link>

3. The link produces an error: Could not open sheet with data from unloaded module (*), even if the module the spell is in is open.
As mentioned, the link is expecting the spell data to be in a very specific location in the spell module - in this case "reference.spelldata.speakerofall". With Dragon Spells.mod being exporting from a campaign, the spell location is different from the usual spell reference modules - even the name of the spell is not used.

Open the Dragon Spell.mod file (you may need to change the .mod extension to .zip to do this) and then open db.xml. This is the module database, in XML format. Find the "Speaker of all" listlink entry (in the "powers" section) and look at the <recordname>, which is: "spell.id-00075@Dragon Spells". So, in your #zal entry in PAR5E you'd need to use this reference "spell.id-00075@Dragon Spells" to be specific to this module, or "spell.id-00075@*" to be search all open modules (which would need to be of the same format).

rob2e
December 7th, 2016, 01:14
Well there is the Hypertext 5e SRD (https://5e.d20srd.org/) & the Open Gaming Store's 5e SRD (https://www.5esrd.com/)

Ah! Nylanfs much easier to copy and paste. ThanX!

Myrdin Potter
December 7th, 2016, 20:26
I am trying to use the Cleric SRD to create the base cleric that I can add the domains to and then the new UA Domains. The manual and the UI are not the clearest on what to do, and exactly what you enclose in the table for the spells and proficiency is not easy or intuitive. This is easier than par5e for me but still not the easiest.

For the table, there are multiple columns under one header for the spells known and I am not sure how that should be handled.

rob2e
December 7th, 2016, 20:34
I am trying to use the Cleric SRD to create the base cleric that I can add the domains to and then the new UA Domains. The manual and the UI are not the clearest on what to do, and exactly what you enclose in the table for the spells and proficiency is not easy or intuitive. This is easier than par5e for me but still not the easiest.

For the table, there are multiple columns under one header for the spells known and I am not sure how that should be handled.

I'm trying this exact thing with the Druid.

Nickademus
December 8th, 2016, 02:37

<tr><td></td><td></td><td colspan="9"><b>-- Spell Slots per Spell Level --</b></td></tr>
<tr><td><b>Level</b></td><td><b>Cantrips Known</b></td><td><b>1st</b></td><td><b>2nd</b></td><td><b>3rd</b></td><td><b>4th</b></td><td><b>5th</b></td><td><b>6th</b></td><td><b>7th</b></td><td><b>8th</b></td><td><b>9th</b></td></tr>

kp9911
December 8th, 2016, 04:03
<tr><td></td><td></td><td colspan="9"><b>-- Spell Slots per Spell Level --</b></td></tr>
<tr><td><b>Level</b></td><td><b>Cantrips Known</b></td><td><b>1st</b></td><td><b>2nd</b></td><td><b>3rd</b></td><td><b>4th</b></td><td><b>5th</b></td><td><b>6th</b></td><td><b>7th</b></td><td><b>8th</b></td><td><b>9th</b></td></tr>

You would be able to do this only with editing the XML.
Overall getting your tables to look exactly like the PHB is a mammoth task in itself with the parser.
What I do is make the "spell slots per level" line a header outside the table and continue with the rest of it.

Nickademus
December 8th, 2016, 04:08
It is inevitable that you will have to edit the xml at some point in time.

kp9911
December 8th, 2016, 04:16
Agreed. To get the best details in tables in fg you do have to know what it's structure is compromised of via HTML table format.

Unfortunately it's not a skill that everyone possesses. I've added this to the list of things to do. However since I'm busy with the story teller integrations and items are such a huge module. It would take some time before tables see any improvement.

rob2e
December 8th, 2016, 17:01
IT seems that when parsing using either of the SRD sites mentioned before, that their tables have MANY spaces (or a tab) that don't get converted to ;

Level Proficiency Bonus Features Cantrips Known Spell Slots per Spell Level
1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th
1st +2 Druidic, Spellcasting 2 2 – – – – – – – –
2nd +2 Wild Shape, Druid Circle 2 3 – – – – – – – –
3rd +2 – 2 4 2 – – – – – – –

Gets converted to

#ts;
#th;Level Proficiency;Bonus Features Cantrips;Known Spell;Slots;per;Spell;Level
#tr;1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th
#tr;1st +2 Druidic,;Spellcasting 2 2 – – – – – – – –
#tr;2nd +2 Wild;Shape,;Druid;Circle 2 3 – – – – – – – –
#tr;3rd +2 – 2 4 2 – – – – – – –

So it seems I have to do further editing to make this work?

kp9911
December 8th, 2016, 18:00
Yes unfortunately until I manage to design a solution for the tables. Its pretty complicated form a code point of view. I started using a whole lot of Excel to get these done faster.

kp9911
December 19th, 2016, 16:13
So I've been doing some time, some of the upcoming updates

The Module Index
https://i.imgur.com/Ag64WLW.png

The Equipment Section
https://i.imgur.com/5Ge9Qt7.png

The Magical Item Section
https://i.imgur.com/AhGe60D.png

The Story Section
https://i.imgur.com/kMj1oQJ.png

The Encounter Section
https://i.imgur.com/R16NjWC.png

Myrdin Potter
December 19th, 2016, 18:29
Is the equipment maker usable as an item creator? I am not 100% certain what the difference is between equipment and items that go into a parser, but I recently have had to create a ton of art objects and gemstones and such and the in game entry needs too much repeated typing for types and sub-types (and copying a master record gets old once you have created several hundred new items).

Thegroo
December 19th, 2016, 18:30
Looking great

kp9911
December 19th, 2016, 18:47
Is the equipment maker usable as an item creator?

Yup it is, currently there are 4 distinct types, which open out into differently styled windows.

#@;Adventuring Gear
#th;Item;Cost;Weight

#@;Tools
#th;Item;Cost;Weight

#@;Armor
#th;Armor;Cost;Armor Class (AC);Strength;Stealth;Weight

#@;Weapon
#th;Name;Cost;Damage;Weight;Properties

#@;Mounts and Other Animals
#th;Item;Cost;Speed;Carrying Capacity

#@;Tack, Harness, and Drawn Vehicles
#th;Item;Cost;Weight

#@;Waterborne Vehicles
#th;Item;Cost;Speed

Descriptions can be grouped based so copying master records are not required, its a one time thing if these items can be grouped into a single sub type. Also if "packages" ie, certain equipment when dragged to your character sheet, spawn whatever they carry in the inventory directly as seen with the SRD or published modules.

Edit : Forgot to add that you can also have sub types specified in each major category

#@;Adventuring Gear
#th;Item;Cost;Weight
#st;Ammunition
#st;Arcane Focus

In the description section if I were to type this out

#stt;Arcane Focus. An arcane focus is a special item— an orb, a crystal, a rod, a specially constructed staff, a wand-like length of wood, or some similar item—designed to channel the power of arcane spells. A sorcerer, warlock, or wizard can use such an item as a spellcasting focus.

Then each and every item under the #st;Arcane Focus subtype would get the above description.

LordEntrails
December 19th, 2016, 20:34
I did notice on the Story Section your image shows a ? where it doesn't belong in the text. Is that an issue from the pdf? You can see it at the "Level 1?3"

kp9911
December 20th, 2016, 04:07
It's probably another character I need to escape from the code. I think it's a ":" that's not been converted correctly.

kp9911
December 20th, 2016, 09:02
Need a little bit of insight if anyone can spare it. How do treasure parcels look in official modules.

If I follow along the lines of par5e all you would get are empty templates when you check the items out. However if I had to create the parcel using elements from say the SRD and export to the module, the xml file shows that the item actually gets duplicated in the treasure parcel entry. I'm not really sure how it needs to work per se from a parser point of view :confused:

Nickademus
December 20th, 2016, 11:30
From an AL adventure (all but one parcel removed for brevity):

<treasureparcels>
<category name="" mergeid="DDLE5 - A Great Upheaval" baseicon="5" decalicon="0">
<id-00018>
<coinlist>
<id-00001>
<amount type="number">0</amount>
<description type="string">PP</description>
</id-00001>
<id-00002>
<description type="string">GP</description>
</id-00002>
<id-00003>
<description type="string">EP</description>
</id-00003>
<id-00004>
<description type="string">SP</description>
</id-00004>
<id-00005>
<description type="string">CP</description>
</id-00005>
</coinlist>
<itemlist>
<id-00001>
<cost type="string">311 gp</cost>
<count type="number">1</count>
<description type="formattedtext">
<h>Description</h>
<p>This bag has an interior space considerably larger than its outside dimensions, roughly 2 feet in diameter at the mouth and 4 feet deep. The bag can hold up to 500 pounds, not exceeding a volume of 64 cubic feet. The bag weighs 15 pounds, regardless of its contents. Retrieving an item from the bag requires an action.</p>
<p>If the bag is overloaded, pierced, or torn, it ruptures and is destroyed, and its contents are scattered in the Astral Plane. If the bag is turned inside out, its contents spill forth, unharmed, but the bag must be put right before it can be used again. Breathing creatures inside the bag can survive up to a number of minutes equal to 10 divided by the number of creatures (minimum 1 minute), after which time they begin to suffocate.</p>
<p>Placing a <i>bag of holding </i>inside an extra dimensional space created by a <i>handy haversack </i>, <i>portable hole </i>, or similar item instantly destroys both items and opens a gate to the Astral Plane. The gate originates where the one item was placed inside the other. Any creature within 10 feet of the gate is sucked through it to a random location on the Astral Plane. The gate then closes. The gate is one-way only and can't be reopened.</p>
</description>
<isidentified type="number">1</isidentified>
<locked type="number">1</locked>
<name type="string">Bag of Holding</name>
<nonid_name type="string">Bag</nonid_name>
<nonidentified type="string">A bag made of brighly colored pieces of cloth sewn together with fine thread and with a leather strap.</nonidentified>
<properties type="string">Magic</properties>
<rarity type="string">Uncommon</rarity>
<spells>
<id-00001>
<link type="windowreference">
<class></class>
<recordname></recordname>
</link>
<name type="string">Bag of Holding</name>
</id-00001>
<id-00002>
<link type="windowreference">
<class></class>
<recordname></recordname>
</link>
<name type="string">Bag (H)</name>
</id-00002>
</spells>
<type type="string">Wondrous Item</type>
<weight type="number">15</weight>
</id-00001>
<id-00002>
<ac type="number">0</ac>
<bonus type="number">0</bonus>
<count type="number">10</count>
<description type="formattedtext">
<p>One pinch of the pixie dust can substitute for the material components of any enchantment spell of 3rd level or lower. The pixie dust has other magical effects as well. If a pinch of pixie dust is sprinkled on a creature, roll percentile dice and consult the Pixie Dust table to determine the effect.</p>
<linklist>
<link class="table" recordname="tables.id-00001">Table - Pixie Dust</link>
</linklist>
</description>
<isidentified type="number">1</isidentified>
<istemplate type="number">0</istemplate>
<name type="string">Pixie Dust</name>
<type type="string">Treasure</type>
<weight type="number">0</weight>
</id-00002>
</itemlist>
<name type="string">07.00 Day 3: The Howling Hatred</name>
<temp>
</temp>
</id-00018>
</category>
</treasureparcels>

kp9911
December 20th, 2016, 11:35
Ah it does need to be copied over. Welp treasure parcels just became a big job.

dmbrown
December 20th, 2016, 15:03
Has anyone tried to get this to work on a Mac. I have CrossOver, but haven't got to work. Is this written in .net and if so what version?

kp9911
December 20th, 2016, 15:07
.net and if so what version?

That would be a yes and 4.0 should be enough to run it, however 4.5 is what I based it on.

dmbrown
December 20th, 2016, 15:09
What did they use to get it to run on a Mac? Thanks.

kp9911
December 20th, 2016, 15:11
No idea really, however if someone has indeed managed to get it to run, I'm sure you'll find an answer here.

dmbrown
December 20th, 2016, 15:23
I believe that MS has a preview of visual studio that runs on a Mac. Do you have the source code posted some where? Thanks.

kp9911
December 20th, 2016, 15:28
You can find the repo here (click me (https://github.com/kay9911/FG5EParser))

Just note that if you are going to build the code via the repo mentioned above you would have access to additional functionalities that are not yet documented, so don't get confused in case you see extra options and what not.

dmbrown
December 20th, 2016, 15:45
Thanks. I'll keep you posted if I was able to get it to build on the Mac.

damned
December 20th, 2016, 20:35
The guy that wrote this Im pretty sure wrote it on a mac...

dmbrown
December 21st, 2016, 01:44
I got it to work on a Mac with WineSkin.

kp9911
December 21st, 2016, 03:52
The guy that wrote this Im pretty sure wrote it on a mac...

Damned for the record I'm pretty anti apple ;p . In India one phone of theirs costs the same as running your entrie household for like a year. Haha.

None of my friends and me use them as we put the money to much better use. The only place we see these are those people that are filthy rich or their husbands or parents are filthy rich or at work when we have a lot of Photoshop activities. ;P

I got it to work on a Mac with WineSkin.

Ah that's nice, if it's not too much trouble could you please write up a guide and put it up here. It could help all the other users that are stuck like you. :)

damned
December 21st, 2016, 03:58
Damned for the record I'm pretty anti apple ;p . In India one phone of theirs costs the same as running your entrie household for like a year. Haha.

None of my friends and me use them as we put the money to much better use. The only place we see these are those people that are filthy rich or their husbands or parents are filthy rich or at work when we have a lot of Photoshop activities. ;P

Im so sorry kp9911 i didnt read which parser tool thread this was very carefully!
Keep up the good work!

kp9911
December 21st, 2016, 04:08
Im so sorry kp9911 i didnt read with parser tool thread this was very carefully!
Keep up the good work!

Lol no worries but since you had asked ;p

Myrdin Potter
January 2nd, 2017, 19:01
How is this coming along? I am about to start a larger book conversion and I am hoping for an easier way to add reference manuals in. :-)

kp9911
January 2nd, 2017, 20:09
Well to be honest I've been busy with the seasons festivities and what not so didn't really get a lot of time in it. I think this will remain the same for the rest of the month as I have some pretty important irl stuff to complete.

I've completed a lot of story related items (you can see my signature) along with rollable tables. This section has been pretty rough with regards to the formatting wew.

And the thing is that I have not even started the ui elements for these features, but the parser modules are mostly complete.

Also I have been working closely with Lord entrails to add a bonus feature to the app where in it can take your dB.xml file and convert it to a nicely formatted word doc.

LordEntrails
January 2nd, 2017, 22:08

Also I have been working closely with Lord entrails to add a bonus feature to the app where in it can take your dB.xml file and convert it to a nicely formatted word doc.
Which I have been highly appreciative of :)

Zhern
January 3rd, 2017, 19:55
How is this coming along? I am about to start a larger book conversion and I am hoping for an easier way to add reference manuals in. :-)

Ah, so it will eventually support the reference manual format as outlined in the developer guide, kp9911? I had mentioned I would try and help out on this previously but I haven't had a chance to get to it yet. I've been spending my free time working on the Swords & Wizardry ruleset. I'm not trying to hurry you up on the reference manual format, was just curious. :)

kp9911
January 3rd, 2017, 20:23
Yup practically whatever I can get my paws on will be automated.

kp9911
February 6th, 2017, 18:20
Added an experimental module that will be gradually receiving updates.

kp9911
February 12th, 2017, 18:37
MOST RECENT RELEASES
(Check the experimental version of the parser in the downloads section)
Races
Backgrounds
Tables
Story Entries
ZAL linking
Chat Frame formatting added as well
================================================== ==================================================
Bug FIX
The class module should run even with line breaks in the input file [No more out of memory exceptions]

Kithkinlord
February 14th, 2017, 00:01
Hi, i looked around a little (not too far) i;m having an issue. i was parsing phb i did the barb no problem, i then did cleric and druid after i short break i par5ed it and it said its ok but when i open the book up in FG i only have barb. can some one lead me in the right direction?

I tried deleting the mod. turns out par5e is not writing the file at all, i tried writing it to other locations still nothing.

kp9911
February 14th, 2017, 07:24
Hi Kithkinlord, I have a couple of questions for you, which version of the parser are you using the experimental one or the normal one? Also the input file for the class section, does it have all the details of the classes you had tried to parse? Please remember you need to save it to the file after each class entry before you click parse.

let me know if you have had any other issues using the tool, Thanks!

Kithkinlord
February 14th, 2017, 07:50
version is v0.09-b62

its weird, i am able to load a project that i am working on, if i don't follow the correct format it says "warning" like it suppose too. If i do it says "ok" everything seems right. I have been able to carry on with doing more classes in my notpad and using par5e to double check if i did it correctly. I have double checked to see if my paths are correct, i have module path going to a file <insertname> inside that file i have an input file which is where i save my background.txt, class.txt and tables.txt when i par5es this shows up https://imgur.com/Ao4issd. i did notice that configuration is grayed out i can't remember if that is normal or not, it does light up after i click on it. i also noticed if i wanted to start a new project(pressing new) nothing seems to happen. i also noticed a wierd file that has ended up in my mods its named 01_ogl_well_met_in_kithtakharos i'm guessing its something from FG.

Thank you for responding :)

kp9911
February 14th, 2017, 08:49
Hey Kithkinlord, I think you are looking for the Par5e thread which can be found here(click me!) (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?34080-Project-Par5E-(cont-)). This thread is for the FG5EParser which is a pet project I am working on. They are both separate parsers :).

Please do visit that thread and post your query there, there are some excellent par5e experts in there that would provide you with better assistance.

Kithkinlord
February 14th, 2017, 18:51
shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit, well thank you :) lol

Darth Duane
February 26th, 2017, 22:36
Wow this looks awesome. I am just starting to mess with Fantasy Grounds and was looking for a way to import my books without paying for them again. Started with PAR5E and quickly became overwhelmed. This looks like it's going to make things much simpler.

Going to give it a try, Thanks!

LordEntrails
February 26th, 2017, 22:41
Welcome to the Community Darth. After looking around, let us know if you have any questions.

kp9911
February 27th, 2017, 10:45
Enjoy! Just a disclaimer though, it's not as complete as par5e and recieves updates from time to time.

The Basilisk
March 3rd, 2017, 17:13
I'm pretty new to this thing... do i just double click the FG5Eparser.exe? Or is there something I'm missing? Do i need to compile it somewhere? I looked through the tutorial on how to activate it.

kp9911
March 3rd, 2017, 18:04
Yup you would just need to run the exe and follow the attached guide doc.

The Basilisk
March 3rd, 2017, 19:07
Ah, so it is something wrong on my end. The .exe isn't working. I'll just redownload them all.

Edit: Still won't execute.

Zacchaeus
March 3rd, 2017, 22:25
Ah, so it is something wrong on my end. The .exe isn't working. I'll just redownload them all.

Edit: Still won't execute.

You did unzip the files first right?

Varsuuk
March 4th, 2017, 08:01
MOST RECENT RELEASES
(Check the experimental version of the parser in the downloads section)
Races
Backgrounds
Tables
Story Entries
ZAL linking
Chat Frame formatting added as well
================================================== ==================================================

I opened the experi-mental but didn't see anything for "story" input. I may just be "mental" myself though :)

kp9911
March 4th, 2017, 09:20
Lol must have skipped the entry by mistake will update later.

kp9911
March 6th, 2017, 17:25
Okay so for story elements its like this

#@;00 Curse of Strahd (Category name)
##;00.00.00 Introduction (Sub chapter Name)
{Leave one line gap between sub chapters}
##;01.00.00 The Old Bonegrinder (Sub chapter Name)

Sorry for the delay, I'm currently in the process of converting CoS to FG and boy does OCR take ages to complete, not to mention that half the words look like garbage.

The Basilisk
March 7th, 2017, 16:58
You did unzip the files first right?

Yes, i did. For some reason the only one working on my machine is the experimental version.

Edit- I got it working now! Just parsed some races.

The Basilisk
March 8th, 2017, 19:55
So i've gotten the tables to work so far, is there a way to put additional rollable items within a table without making a separate table altogether?

For example:
d100
Determine location:
09-15 Homestead
Condition
00-05 Abandoned
06-15 Occupied
Occupied by:
01-08 NPC
16-20 Single building