PDA

View Full Version : No Characters to Export

Trancekat
March 26th, 2016, 05:34
Hi All,
I recently ran a game where the players created their characters on my server and were unable to export them after the game.

They selected my campaign but their characters were not there. How can I fix this please?

Thank you.

damned
March 26th, 2016, 06:30
I havent seen this before - except where the campaign didnt actually save. If it didnt actually save then... it didnt actually save and there are no characters.

Trancekat
March 26th, 2016, 14:33
I havent seen this before - except where the campaign didnt actually save. If it didnt actually save then... it didnt actually save and there are no characters.

Ahh..thank you. It's there something i need to do to make the campaign save? Is there a setting to set to make it happen automagicly?

damned
March 26th, 2016, 14:39
Hi Trancekat there were *some* situations earlier this year where permissions on the data folder were not correct and some people experienced games not saving.
A couple of fixes were implemented that:
1. Forced some new permissions on the folder - just in case
2. Puts an alert on the Console screen if it cant save

Create a story entry and a character with a name. Close FG and restart and see if they are there. If so you *should* be ok going forward.

Trancekat
March 26th, 2016, 14:49
Oh, i restarted fg and all the characters are still there. The players weren't able to download them though by selecting the game from the manage characters section on their end. In other games we've all been able to select that game just run and save our characters locally. Would screen shots help or does that make sense?

damned
March 26th, 2016, 14:54
If they reconnect now and select/create a char and retry - what happens?

Trancekat
March 26th, 2016, 15:23
Will report back when i get one of then to try today.

Though it always worked right after the game for me as a player on other people's servers.

Moon Wizard
March 26th, 2016, 22:14
The permissions issue could be on the player side, which means that the campaign character information wasn't saved.

Regards,
JPG

damned
March 27th, 2016, 05:42
Have the players rerun the installer too.

Trancekat
March 28th, 2016, 01:00
So I had one of the players from the other night attempt to grab their toons today. They weren't able to export them in Manage Characters. They were able to connect to the server and see their character there, but just can't get them.

They are running the most recent version of FG and had run the update before connecting.

Any other ideas of what I can try please? Do I have to set permissions manually somewhere for FG access?

Thank you,
TK

damned
March 28th, 2016, 01:37
Have player launch FG.
Click on Folder Icon top right of splash screen. This opens data folder. Go UP one level and right click on the Fantasy Grounds folder and choose Properties > Permissions.
Give USERS or EVERYONE the WRITE and MODIFY permissions.
They will need to reconnect to your server session so as to redownload their char data as it prolly wasnt saved if they didnt have Write/Modify permission to that folder.

Trenloe
March 28th, 2016, 19:57
So I had one of the players from the other night attempt to grab their toons today. They weren't able to export them in Manage Characters. They were able to connect to the server and see their character there, but just can't get them.
Click on the brown (/) edit button at the bottom of the character selection window. This will enable the blue download button on the character sheets.

Trancekat
April 2nd, 2016, 14:46
So last night I ran another game.. and same situation as before.. no one could grab their characters after we finished the game. Everyone who played had been able to grab their characters in the past from other DMs, but not for my server. We all did a /save and I had set the permissions on the FG folders (sub folders included) to read/write for everyone.

What is the next step in troubleshooting this please?

Thank you,
TK

damned
April 2nd, 2016, 14:50
Trancekat - im happy to have a look at this with you but Im crashing right now... send me a PM with your email address if you would like me to test with you.

Trancekat
April 14th, 2016, 01:04
Manually setting the permissions for everyone on the top level FG folder seems to have done the trick! Thank you for the help.

damned
April 14th, 2016, 13:54
Thanks for the update Trancekat