PDA

View Full Version : I will be running FG as a GM with ultimate license from a hotel - Any adjustments?

Baron28
March 24th, 2016, 22:30
I will be hosting a game running FG as a GM with an ultimate license next week from a hotel conference room. Are there any adjustments I need to make to my machine since I will be running a game from some place other than my home on the hotel's public internet?

Trenloe
March 24th, 2016, 22:53
99.9% likely that the hotel will not allow you to port forward port 1802 to your computer. You'll need some form of VPN solution to get communications directly to your PC.

Some info and options here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20309-GM-Connection-Issues-Tried-Everything-Try-Hamachi and here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20160-Using-a-VPN-Service-Provider-to-get-around-port-forwarding-issues

GunbunnyFuFu
March 25th, 2016, 02:01
Last time I tried running from a hotel (using the hotel's wireless) it was a no-go. I ended up using my MiFi/Hotspot. I was in a solid 4G LTE area, and didn't have any trouble.

Baron28
March 25th, 2016, 02:53
Thanks

LordEntrails
March 26th, 2016, 03:27
I do it regularly. When the hotel prompts you to log in, check to see if their is an option for a private IP or an option to allow you to use a vpn. Sometimes (very rarely) they offer this, if so, FG alias will typically work with no other issues. If not, then use the Hamachi that Trenloe linked to, it works for me all the time.

Baron28
April 6th, 2016, 16:55
A quick update on this. I didn't use the Hamachi VPN software. It was effective, but a bit slow running over the hotel wifi. So we switched to plan B and did a direct connect to the other laptop using a cross-over cable. I launched the campaign from my computer and the 2nd computer joined the campaign. We hooked up the 2nd computer to an overhead projector so the players at the table had the "players" view displayed on a huge projector screen. The players used laser pointers to indicate where they wanted to move their token. Players rolled dice as if participating in a live game. I used FG for what it does best - to keep track of things. I ran Tomb of Horrors converted for 5E for 8 hours and had 2 player deaths. One of the players was revivified. Overall, it was a huge success.

Nylanfs
April 6th, 2016, 17:01
That seems like a low death count, are you sure you were using the Tomb right? :)

jajen2003
April 6th, 2016, 17:09
That seems like a low death count, are you sure you were using the Tomb right? :)

lol

Baron28
April 6th, 2016, 18:12

Haha! They didn't get very far into the Tomb as they were a very cautious party. We are going to pick up next year at the Con with them still in the main hallway. They have plenty of time to meet their demise. :)