PDA

View Full Version : Question on Licensed Adventures

amrbean
March 24th, 2016, 19:10
Hello,

I noticed on the Steam Store that the D&D Lost Mine of Phandelver advertises "Dungeon Masters purchasing this module can use it to run the adventure with very little prep," which is awesome. I also watched this official FG video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrQ3jHv3-so) on that adventure, which clearly shows how easy it is to jump in, with preset maps and everything.

My question:
Are all of the licensed adventures like that? My group is really interested in doing the Princes of the Apocalypse adventure. I saw that Princes also has the line about 'very little prep', but I can't find any videos on it. I was really hoping that that adventure is as easy to jump into as the Lost Mines. Does anyone know? Any help that can be provided would be very helpful.

Second question: if we decided to go with Princes or Lost Mine, do I just need the Complete Core Class Pack? Me and all of my players already own the $40 Steam copy of Fantasy Grounds.

Thanks!

Trenloe
March 24th, 2016, 19:16
Princes is very similar in layout/format to LMoP. So it is as easy to use.

You don't specifically need the Complete Core Class Pack, the basic rules and SRD that come with FG will provide some info, the rest you can type in. But, if you want full access to all of the PHB material in FG then the Core Class Pack is a good purchase.

amrbean
March 24th, 2016, 19:23
Princes is very similar in layout/format to LMoP. So it is as easy to use.

You don't specifically need the Complete Core Class Pack, the basic rules and SRD that come with FG will provide some info, the rest you can type in. But, if you want full access to all of the PHB material in FG then the Core Class Pack is a good purchase.

Well, wouldn't the Core Class Pack be the easiest way for my PCs to have all the content to make their characters?

And thanks!

Trenloe
March 24th, 2016, 19:27
Well, wouldn't the Core Class Pack be the easiest way for my PCs to have all the content to make their characters?
Yes.

ddavison
March 24th, 2016, 19:28
Yes, the Complete Core Class Pack + Princes of the Apocalypse would be the easiest for spinning up all your players and launching the adventure. You can do without the Class Pack and manually enter abilities and options not found in the SRD or D&D Basic Rules. Either way, there is some manual entry and configuration for player abilities, it just depends on how much you want there to be. The Class Pack also comes with a host of player portraits that you can assign to players, if that is important to you.

damned
March 24th, 2016, 22:19
One difference between these two adventures is that LMoP comes with a set of pre-gens (because the physical copy does too) and PotA does not (for the same reason).

Zacchaeus
March 24th, 2016, 22:29
If you do run PotA make sure you have a look here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?25083-Princes-of-the-Apocalypse-Maps) before you start.