PDA

View Full Version : What happens when a character is blessed and gets knocked out in combat?

Baron28
March 24th, 2016, 16:01
The cleric cast a bless spell and chose 3 other characters (fighter, rogue, wizard) to apply the effect. One of the characters, the fighter, went down in combat. Does that mean the fighter is no longer blessed?

gqwebb
March 24th, 2016, 16:23
The bless effect is time based on a character. If he died the the effect may end. But I would still grant the 1d4 extra to saving throws while incapacitated. That's my 2 cents.

Baron28
March 24th, 2016, 17:19
The bless effect is time based on a character. If he died the the effect may end. But I would still grant the 1d4 extra to saving throws while incapacitated. That's my 2 cents.

So the unconscious character should roll death saves with the bless effect? Does the automated death save roll account for the SAVE: 1d4 for bless?

Nylanfs
March 24th, 2016, 17:22
AFAIK the Death throw isn't classified as a saving through. But I could be wrong.

Teknykk
March 24th, 2016, 18:40
Bless is a spell with a duration that uses Concentration, and when you are knocked unconscious, you cease being able to concentrate on any spell with such a duration requirement - however it will only end if the person who cast the spell is the one being knocked unconscious, otherwise the effect remains on allies even if they are knocked unconscious. Death Saving Throws are precisely what it is, a Saving Throw, and thus will be affected by the benefit spells such as Bless will provide, in addition to many other effects that increase your Saving Throws entirely.

gqwebb
March 24th, 2016, 18:41
Just tried in Fantasy Grounds and it gave the extra 1d4 to the death save throw. Your not dead until you fail three times so. Yes I would let it ride.

Until ...

He is dead. Jim..

https://www.physical-solutions.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/bones-mccoy-875x410.jpg

JohnD
March 24th, 2016, 20:17
Bless seems overpowered for a 1st level spell to me.

Teknykk
March 25th, 2016, 03:18
That's why it has Concentration attached to it - throw enough damage at the caster, and that powerful buff will drop in an instant - like most of the strong buffs in 5E, Concentration is its balancing factor.

jajen2003
March 25th, 2016, 14:08
Bless is a spell with a duration that uses Concentration, and when you are knocked unconscious, you cease being able to concentrate on any spell with such a duration requirement - however it will only end if the person who cast the spell is the one being knocked unconscious, otherwise the effect remains on allies even if they are knocked unconscious. Death Saving Throws are precisely what it is, a Saving Throw, and thus will be affected by the benefit spells such as Bless will provide, in addition to many other effects that increase your Saving Throws entirely.

This is correct. The fighter would get the 1d4 to his Death Saving Throw roll. Until the cleric loses concentration or the spell's duration expires—which ever comes first.

Baron28
March 25th, 2016, 15:38
Thanks for all of the feedback.

I think what I'm going to do going forward is that any spell caster who is concentrating on a spell and witnesses a comrade go down in combat has to make a Con Saving Throw to maintain concentration. It is a distraction that the spell caster must ward off to keep the spell up. Thoughts on this?

Zacchaeus
March 25th, 2016, 17:08

I think what I'm going to do going forward is that any spell caster who is concentrating on a spell and witnesses a comrade go down in combat has to make a Con Saving Throw to maintain concentration. It is a distraction that the spell caster must ward off to keep the spell up. Thoughts on this?

I don't see a need for this but since it's your game you have the option to do whatever you would like. :)

Teknykk
March 25th, 2016, 18:17

I'd advise against it personally. 5th Edition already gives spell casters far too many headaches with the sheer amount of spells that require Concentration now, and you want to add yet another saving throw to that because someone else who got the effect gets knocked out? It really is far too much in my opinion when the caster isn't focusing on the targets of the spell with Concentration but focusing on their own mind to keep it maintained, and I very much agree with Zacchaeus - but if you do make such a rule as the dungeon master, then it's your prerogative - but I would suggest telling your players first, because it's yet another layer to add to the headache of spell casting they may not want to deal with and find it deter them from playing such a class in the first place.

jajen2003
March 26th, 2016, 00:26
This seems cruel.

Griogre
March 26th, 2016, 07:26
Like others have mentioned I think it is too harsh myself. I'd personally try it without that house rule. My experience as a DM is it's normally relatively hard for caster to hold concentration for more than 3-4 rounds in combat if they are taking damage and damage from multiple sources causes a save each NPC hit. They also can't ready or cast another concentration spell which is more limiting than it appears at first. If you want to make it harder then ban the war caster feat.

As a player I can tell you the concentration rule means I don't bother with concentration spells unless I really think it's a nasty fight. My druid almost never casts barkskin because I don't expect to hold it more than a round or two. For my Warpriest, bless is a good spell and because he has a high enough AC I can often hold it for 3-4 rounds - but giving up the action to cast the spell can really hurt unless I really think its going to be a long fight.

Teknykk
March 26th, 2016, 07:34
I currently play a Fey'ri Bladesinger in Out of the Abyss, and as much as I want to avoid Concentration spells, much of what that class and tradition relies upon is Concentration based - and without such spells, I would've been dead long ago. Much of what makes my character who she is, is the kind of spells she uses, and many of them require Concentration because they're either buffs or benefits that apply extra attacks, like Melf's Minute Meteors. My character is a physical powerhouse in combat, and is extremely hard to hit because of the spells she uses.

But I can tell you that if this rule was housed into my game, I would cease playing that character right away, simply because it's hard enough playing a spell caster as it is, especially one as tactical as mine who is effectively the party's tank also. I pretty much agree with what Griogre said though in general, it's not something you should consider lightly as it's not even a DMG optional or variant rule - and perhaps taking a simpler route such as banning feats would be more fitting - of which you as the dungeon master have complete control over if players even have access to, or which ones for that matter - and it's a decision they should comply with.

If you were to use what you're considering though, you could potentially annoy the hell out of any current spell casting player, and future ones for that matter - simply because you're hurting them even more because another player got unlucky or reckless. Consider such house rules carefully, and seek the advice of your players as much as us here, and see what they think most of all.