PDA

View Full Version : Rule Question: Grapple from Giant Crocodiles or T-Rex

Valhingen
March 24th, 2016, 12:45
I'm sure there are more with this sort of atttack - so it says on a hit the target is grappled and the monster cannot bite anyone else anymore, great.

But what until then? It would make perfect sense that this means automatic damage each turn (chewing on the target) but it doesnt say so? It would feel really silly if you could neutralize such bites for the remainder of the battle by having some henchman, pet or similar be bitten and get stuck.

Am I missing something? Is there some official rule?

Trenloe
March 24th, 2016, 13:40
I'd say it continues biting the target which is grappled (and restrained). The wording is that it can't bite another target, but nothing saying it can't continue to bite the grappled target (with advantage as it's restrained) - chomp, chomp, chomp.

Zacchaeus
March 24th, 2016, 14:12
Indeed, it is as Trenloe says. The important part is that the target is not just grappled but restrained so clearly the Croc (or whatever) is going to keep on using that to gain advantage and bite away at the target. And the target is likely to use up it's action trying to get free rather than attacking (since it will have disadvantage on the attack roll). Overall a win/win for the Croc.

Drekketh
March 24th, 2016, 15:02
I totally agree with Trenloe and Zacchaeus, and whenever you are in doubt of a rule, or smth is not clarified, think naturally. How would a croc kill an almost 1 ton african bull if not for grabbing him, munching him constantly and eventually drowning him in the river. And escaping that hold is almost impossible, since the pressure that a full grown croc can apply with its bite is about 800kg/inch.... Yet our miraculous heroes escape the grab ;)

jshauber
March 24th, 2016, 16:35
I totally agree with Trenloe and Zacchaeus, and whenever you are in doubt of a rule, or smth is not clarified, think naturally. How would a croc kill an almost 1 ton african bull if not for grabbing him, munching him constantly and eventually drowning him in the river. And escaping that hold is almost impossible, since the pressure that a full grown croc can apply with its bite is about 800kg/inch.... Yet our miraculous heroes escape the grab ;)

Heroes get to eye gouge and do other nasty things to the croc that the African bull can't. Plus wouldn't be very heroic if you died the first time I croc nibbled your bum....

gqwebb
March 24th, 2016, 17:07
Bump Trenloe

Chomp chomp chomp, go

https://www.joblo.com/images_arrownews/dcsg.jpg