PDA

View Full Version : Stats

Bravo228
March 24th, 2016, 01:43
I am curious on how do you GM's handle starting stats. Do you let the players just roll them or do you have a set array of sorts?

jshauber
March 24th, 2016, 13:57
We have a session where they roll up stats and place how they want for the character they envision. If the stats are awful then I may let them re-roll.

Doesn't matter what system RMC, D&D, etc.

JohnD
March 24th, 2016, 18:31
With Rolemaster I personally prefer allowing players to buy their stats from a pool of 660 points. This was how we did it in RMSS and I found it allowed PCs to be good in the areas the players wanted, but nobody got left behind by poorer rolls as there is a cost of powering up a couple of stats really high - that is a bunch of really low attributes.

Ardem
March 27th, 2016, 08:14
I am with John on this however I give the players a choice, 6d10 +600 or 660. The interesting thing is only 1 in 20 rolls you get over 60.

damned
March 27th, 2016, 09:23
I am with John on this however I give the players a choice, 6d10 +600 or 660. The interesting thing is only 1 in 20 rolls you get over 60.

How can you get over 60 with 6d10?

JohnD
March 27th, 2016, 14:51
How can you get over 60 with 6d10?

The new math manages it. 2+2 = approximately 6 instead of 4. Good luck to the future engineers.

Should be 10d10.

Edit: on the other hand, if you have a player who is always trying to game the system, used 6d10.

Dakadin
March 28th, 2016, 05:57
I tend to use the 3 column optional rule for stats. It usually works out pretty good.

I have rolled up a character in a game JohnD ran that had some bad stats. If I remember correctly more than half of them were below 50 (and that was with the auto-rerolls for stats below 20). :p He offered to let me reroll the stats but I just adapted the character background to fit the stats. It worked out well for the short time I was able to play in John's game.

Bravo228
March 28th, 2016, 08:20
Dakadin, how does the 3 column optional rule work?

Ardem
March 29th, 2016, 05:18
LoL meant 10d10!.

But I should make it 6d10, players already have too many benefits.

GM must have player death to get eternal life muuuhhahahaha. Sorry I have had coffee today

Dakadin
March 29th, 2016, 06:31
Dakadin, how does the 3 column optional rule work?

The 3 column method is in the RMC Character Law as Option 7.2. Basically you roll 3 sets of 10 stats. Then choose one set of 10 to be the temporary stats and another to be the potential stats. You keep the pairs matched up but then can assign them to whichever stat you want.

The Init Stat Gain button on the main tab will help with this process if the GM selects the Preference from the Character Assistant preferences. I posted a PDF to help with Stat Generation and Stat Gain without getting into the specifics of 3 column that might help. You can find it here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?28731-New-ruleset-update-in-beta-testing&p=258048&viewfull=1#post258048

Blackfoot
March 29th, 2016, 10:11
We always used the 3 column method when we played tabletop.

JohnD
March 29th, 2016, 16:16
I tend to use the 3 column optional rule for stats. It usually works out pretty good.

I have rolled up a character in a game JohnD ran that had some bad stats. If I remember correctly more than half of them were below 50 (and that was with the auto-rerolls for stats below 20). :p He offered to let me reroll the stats but I just adapted the character background to fit the stats. It worked out well for the short time I was able to play in John's game.

Yeah, I've always felt bad that I didn't go with stat buy in that game and settled for rolling. Still relatively new to FG at the time. Now I'd go with 660.

I feel even worse that game didn't last longer... got boned by Real Life.

GM Snow
March 29th, 2016, 18:14
My group (I am the GM) still uses the Rules in CHaracter Law straight up. 1 set of rolls. reroll any stat under 20.

I let them arrange the stats how they like, Any temporary put into a prime stats under 90 is raised to 90.

We have never had any problems with this method.

YES, at level 1 there tend to be quite a few stats (temps) below 90.... but the potentials Always tend to make up for this.... and they players enjoy seeing their characters improve dramatically when these stats go up.