PDA

View Full Version : Forging Items in the Forge

jajen2003
March 23rd, 2016, 16:16
So it seems I'm not 100% clear on how the Forge works.

I have the DMG and other core sourcebook material. I'm just experimenting and seeing what this thing can do. Not much from what I can tell. I've been trying to create rings and various other mundane items with various magical properties, but I keep getting "incompatible" results.

Now I assume this is a coding issue, but the Wiki says I can take a mundane item like a ring, or whatever, and give it magical properties with an item from the Magic Items Template. But, almost every combination I seem to come up with says incompatible.

Also, the Wiki is a little lacking on details as to how this works. What are the little icons/symbols next to the item name? Where is the explanation of what those icons/symbols mean? Why can I only see those icons once the item is in the forge? Is there a feature in the options I can turn on to only show compatible items in the Magic Items Template once I load a mundane item into the forge?

Although I'm sure it's cool, it appears that this tool wasn't designed to be simple and easy. If it was, I would be able to use it. "Don't make me think." Or explain how the tool works in detail on the wiki. So far, the documentation is vague at best, otherwise I wouldn't be here asking questions.

It may make sense to developers, but I'm the end user, so make it easy for me to understand.

Thanks. :D

kylania
March 23rd, 2016, 16:34
It would be helpful if they listed what was compatible with what. Or allowed scrolls to be applied to any item. Can't make a Ring of Burning Hands for example or any other "This ring lets you cast this spell" unless it already exists in some other combination.

Then again, you can make a Vorpal Sling of the Dwarvish Lords +3 [Holy Avenger, Flame Tongue], so what else do you really need? :)

jajen2003
March 23rd, 2016, 17:00
So I think I've cracked this nut.

What I was originally trying to do, was take a frog statuette from a LMoP treasure parcel and apply various effects from Wondrous Items. The problem I discovered is that the 'type' in my frog statuette was set to 'art' not 'Art Object' (an oversight from long ago before Doug and Co. fixed all the conversions errors in the earlier stages of their Digital Conversion Campaign).

The item's 'Type' is what's important here. If you have an item, make sure that its 'Type' is one of the 'Types' listed on the Wiki page in the 'Create New Item' subheading, i.e., Adventuring Gear, Tools, Tack, Vehicles, Gemstones, Art Objects, Magic Items etc. You'll have to unlock the item and use a 'type' from the list.

I'm not sure what the complete list of 'types' is, but after checking out some of the various items, it's pretty easy to figure out, even for a simpleton like me. The 'type' is used to help categorize the various items. So simply look in the PHB and DMG under the 'Equipment' entry and you can see all the different types of items. If you use the 'minus' button at the bottom left area of the window, you can collapse all the entries and just see the grouped categories for these items. Those are your 'types'.

What I've noticed is that you can give mundane armor a magic item weapon feature if you change the armor's 'type' from 'armor' to 'weapon'. And vice versa. This works for all items.

Once the 'type' is compatible, you can make whatever you want. Then simply go back into the new item that was made, unlock it, edit it, and if you have the 'Identification' option in the 5E option settings turned on, you can come up with a unidentified name and description of the item.

Also, note, that whenever a new item is successfully created from the Forge, it appears in your default group in the 'Items' tab on the right side of the screen.

I'm interested to hear what everyone else finds with this tool.

jajen2003
March 23rd, 2016, 17:23
It would be helpful if they listed what was compatible with what. Or allowed scrolls to be applied to any item. Can't make a Ring of Burning Hands for example or any other "This ring lets you cast this spell" unless it already exists in some other combination.

Here you go. Ring of Burning Hands successfully crafted from the Forge (with some edits).

Zacchaeus
March 23rd, 2016, 17:36
Indeed, it is the item's 'type' which is the crucial thing and I think that is quite clear from the Wiki but I'll have a look and revise it if it isn't.

Art or Art Object isn't a recognised type so you won't be able to apply a template to such a thing. You can, however, as you have discovered change an item's type to be compatible.

The left hand part of the forge should contain a piece of equipment and you'll find these in the equipment lists in the PHB (or the 5ESRD). If you look at the standard list you'll find things like a ring, an amulet,crystal, clothes and any number of other items. These items can all be combined with the wondrous items templates. So you could apply a magical property to a backpack, a set of fine clothes, a component pouch or a hammer; the possibilities are almost unlimited. Outside of wondrous items it is very necessary that there is compatibility with the left and right side of the Forge. So armour needs to be matched with magical armour, weapons with weapons (which includes ammunition), rods, wands, staffs etc.

Note also that items that you create in the Forge can then be put back into the forge (on the equipment side) and you can then add new properties to them. Thus you can create a Sword +1 and then combine that with a sword +3 to make a sword +4.

kylania
March 23rd, 2016, 18:57
crafted from the Forge (with some edits).

Those edits completely do away with the point of the Forge. I might have well have just make a custom item from scratch at that point since that's basically what's required.

ddavison
March 23rd, 2016, 19:01
It sounds like you figured it out now. The attachment image is quite nice. Would you mind if we borrowed it?

Zacchaeus
March 23rd, 2016, 19:38
Those edits completely do away with the point of the Forge. I might have well have just make a custom item from scratch at that point since that's basically what's required.

To some extent I agree with you. If I wanted a ring of magic missiles for example I'd just take a scroll of magic missiles and edit it to be a ring. However outside of scrolls the Forge is a great addition and allows for the simple creation of a wealth of magic items. The items also retain all of the descriptions, links to artwork etc, as well as, in the case of weapons and armour, their game mechanic statistics.

jajen2003
March 23rd, 2016, 20:32
It sounds like you figured it out now. The attachment image is quite nice. Would you mind if we borrowed it?

Doug, you can have any image that I make. I have a few maps that I've done up for some of the AL adventures if you'd like those. As a graphic designer, I think you'd be impressed with my digital cartography skills.

jajen2003
March 23rd, 2016, 20:34

Couldn't agree more. IF it requires so much tweaking to use the thing, why not simply create an item from scratch. It does take about the same amount of time.

I also understand that from a coding POV, there has to be parameters. It has to be categorized somehow.

Great idea, but unless it can work with any item, then yeah, kind'a pointless.

jajen2003
March 23rd, 2016, 20:36
To some extent I agree with you. If I wanted a ring of magic missiles for example I'd just take a scroll of magic missiles and edit it to be a ring. However outside of scrolls the Forge is a great addition and allows for the simple creation of a wealth of magic items. The items also retain all of the descriptions, links to artwork etc, as well as, in the case of weapons and armour, their game mechanic statistics.

But all items need some sort of tweaking and customization.

I like that there is the option. And that's all I've ever wanted, was the option. In this case, the option of the Forge doesn't alleviate or automate any of the processes that are practically required to create a custom item, so IMO it's useless. But again, I like that there's an option.

ddavison
March 23rd, 2016, 20:40
We could consider turning off the compatibility checks. We disagreed internally on whether or not to enforce any sort of type checking. My preference was to report invalid types but not prevent the combinations.

ddavison
March 23rd, 2016, 20:41
Doug, you can have any image that I make. I have a few maps that I've done up for some of the AL adventures if you'd like those. As a graphic designer, I think you'd be impressed with my digital cartography skills.

Sure. The AL content is in a weird state at the moment because of the DMs Guild, but those might come in handy if we can get beyond the current hangups.

Zacchaeus
March 23rd, 2016, 21:24
But all items need some sort of tweaking and customization.

I like that there is the option. And that's all I've ever wanted, was the option. In this case, the option of the Forge doesn't alleviate or automate any of the processes that are practically required to create a custom item, so IMO it's useless. But again, I like that there's an option.

I'm not really wanting to argue the point too much but I've just made some Marirer's Leather Armour of Force resistance +1 and it took me approximately 5 seconds. Sure I would want to edit that to include a Non-id name and a description but to make something like that from scratch would have taken way more time. I can agree that the Forge is not flawless but it is very far from useless. IMO.

jajen2003
March 23rd, 2016, 21:31
We could consider turning off the compatibility checks. We disagreed internally on whether or not to enforce any sort of type checking. My preference was to report invalid types but not prevent the combinations.

Yes, please. Turn off the compatibility checks. If we want it to work in 5 seconds like Z is mentioning, then turn off the checks, so it simply combines the items. Let the DM sort it out afterward.

Forcing compatibility is like censoring. "What? You want to give a barrel, Dagger of Venom properties? That's ridiculous. Nope, it's not compatible." And while I'm sure it's a coding thing, it feels like censoring. It feels like as a DM, I can't make what I want with the Forge. It feels like since my idea doesn't fit a paradigm, I'm forced to create a blank item, instead of the Forge, which is supposed to take mundane items and imbue them with magical properties.

And if you need an in-game reason to disable compatibility, it's hard to have a crazy wizard, without ridiculous items. Perhaps these items are from past experiments. Failed attempts at greatness, now collecting dust in his abandoned tower, just waiting to be happened upon by someone with... the Identify spell. dun Dun DUN!!!

I'm not really wanting to argue the point too much but I've just made some Marirer's Leather Armour of Force resistance +1 and it took me approximately 5 seconds. Sure I would want to edit that to include a Non-id name and a description but to make something like that from scratch would have taken way more time. I can agree that the Forge is not flawless but it is very far from useless. IMO.

In order for it not to be useless IMO, then it should work that way ALL THE TIME, regardless of what the items are, not just on items deemed "compatible".

Let the DMs sort through that. If I want a Barrel with the properties of a Dagger of Venom, then the Forge should simply combine those items. Let me, the DM, worry about how practical that may be.

jajen2003
March 23rd, 2016, 21:35
Currently, if I want a Ring of Darkvision, which doesn't exist, I have to make that manually. The Forge SHOULD make it, but it won't. I should be able to take a Ring from the DMG equipment list and a Scroll of Darkvision, and make a Ring of Darkvision.

I can however, override the system in place. But... if I'm going to override the system that you guys have programmed, you guys might as well remove the need for me to override it in the first place and just make it work—regardless of how silly or weird or stupid or ridiculous the combinations might sound.

timdog88
March 27th, 2016, 04:16
Sure. The AL content is in a weird state at the moment because of the DMs Guild, but those might come in handy if we can get beyond the current hangups.
Man, I hope you guys can get past them, because being able to buy all of the AL mods and run them in FG would be amazing.

corum Rask
January 13th, 2017, 23:56
Ok I have a question how would I make a for example a Ring of Tracking or Earring of Initiative in the forge? Or would I have to make the items from scratch. If so what would the code would I use to get the item to work and have FG recognize it so I would not have to manually do it.

Zacchaeus
January 14th, 2017, 09:53
Ok I have a question how would I make a for example a Ring of Tracking or Earring of Initiative in the forge? Or would I have to make the items from scratch. If so what would the code would I use to get the item to work and have FG recognize it so I would not have to manually do it.

The forge will combine a mundane item (like a ring or an earring) and combine it with an existing magic item giving it he magical properties that it has. So in other words you'd need to find a magic item that already had the properties you want on it before you could use the forge to create it.

I've never heard of a tracking or initiative thing so I'm guessing there's no existing one. Thus you'll need to create the item (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Item_Sheet) yourself.

You won't be able to add effects directly onto the item; those would have to go onto the player character's actions tab. For initiative use the INIT: keyword; so INIT: 2 would add 2 to initiative for example or ADVINIT would give advantage on initiative throws. 5E doesn't have a tracking skill per se so you would use probably survival or nature. You can't add in a number to a skill directly but you can give advantage on the roll with ADVSKILL: nature for example. More on effects here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Effects#Reference).

corum Rask
March 5th, 2017, 05:20
I am trying to make many different unique items but not sure how to go about it.
Been looking around and trying to figure out the coding my skill is limited

1) How would I add a bonus to a skill or skill Advantage.
2) How would I create a Item that increases the Lay on Hands hit point pool?
3) How would I add bonus to Init to item.
4) How would I add a conditional to Armor (example: Armor bonus increases +1 when two or more enemies are adjacent to wearer...?
5) Or Armor that has a higher bonus in special condition...(example Armor has +1 only in the Forest.)
6) Or Item that adds a extra Level 1 spell slot.

Items like that...Can those type of items be made to automatically add the correct bonuses once Item is equipped? Or will I have to manually add what ever bonus or ability to my players character sheet?

I realized after I post that some of the stuff I just asked was answered by Zacchaeus earlier so sorry for the repeat...

Cory

damned
March 5th, 2017, 07:29
Items dont have effects in FG only players do.
Some of these cant be done at this time.

Spin-Man
March 5th, 2017, 07:43
All of these would have to be done in Actions, not Inventory. Make a new power called Armor Bonus or something and give it the effects you want.

1. Use SKILL: [#] [skill] to grant a bonus to a single skill and ADVSKILL: [skill] to grant Advantage to skill checks for one skill. Leave off the brackets and make sure the skill is all lower-case letters to make it work.
2. Make a new power the same as your old Lay on Hands, but add (armor bonus) to the title. Modify its bonus and uses per day to equal how much the armor provides.
3. Use INIT: +[#] to add an Initiative bonus, or ADVINIT to give Advantage to Initiative rolls.
4, 5. Conditionals like in 4 and 5 are not possible to automate: you will have to remember to apply them when relevant.
6. In the Actions tab, you can change Mode to Preparation and add spells slots. You will have to remember to remove them if something happens to the armor. I recommend writing a reminder in the Notes tab of the character sheet.