PDA

View Full Version : Princes of the Apocalypse Question for DMs that have run this - Spoilers

SilverBulletKY
March 23rd, 2016, 04:53
Did you players not head to the Temple of the Crushing Wave from Rivergard Keep? Rivergard Keep is around level 4 and the Temple is level 7. Did they explore a bit and realize it was too hard and came back later?

LordEntrails
March 23rd, 2016, 06:33
My players did not. At least not yet. One thing with PotA is , you have to decide if you are going to adjust the difficulties of the encounters to match the party capabilities, or allow the players to get into situation in which they are out-classed. I've decided to let my players be out-classed. Fortunately for them, they haven't done that, yet. Note, both my players and I have no problem with characters dying, especially if they get in over their head. Also, several times I've thought these same players have gotten in over their heads, but through creativity or just luck, they have always manage to pull their bacon out of the fire.

kylania
March 23rd, 2016, 09:59
Going through it now as a player. We've definitely been allowed to get into situations where we're way outclassed (we just hit level 6). Quite a few close sessions ending with "We'll be back!!"

SilverBulletKY
March 23rd, 2016, 11:57
Going through it now as a player. We've definitely been allowed to get into situations where we're way outclassed (we just hit level 6). Quite a few close sessions ending with "We'll be back!!"

Hey I said spoilers!

SilverBulletKY
March 23rd, 2016, 11:58
My players did not. At least not yet. One thing with PotA is , you have to decide if you are going to adjust the difficulties of the encounters to match the party capabilities, or allow the players to get into situation in which they are out-classed. I've decided to let my players be out-classed. Fortunately for them, they haven't done that, yet. Note, both my players and I have no problem with characters dying, especially if they get in over their head. Also, several times I've thought these same players have gotten in over their heads, but through creativity or just luck, they have always manage to pull their bacon out of the fire.

What did they do when they got to that point?

drakonin
March 23rd, 2016, 15:34
I completed this module and almost completed my party action synopsis found here. Major spoilers though. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Evc1oF_DeZkrchrSrrvZkn8U13N6RkDqupYkNBcr2dI/edit?usp=sharing some of it is custom content.

kleinksw
March 23rd, 2016, 21:45
[SPOILERS be here!] The PCs in my campaign are currently level 8 (been playing almost a year on and off). They have just cleared out the Temple of the Crushing Wave. I've done a bit of railroading, but have improvised throughout to try to make it feel that things are progressing as the characters direct. At Riverguard Keep (and each of the other "keeps") I didn't have it so the players could get to the Temple of the Crushing Wave (and each of the other Temples)--at least not that they know of. The underground river led to many tributaries. There's always a passage--undiscovered or otherwise--that could take them there later (or vice versa) if I like. When in the Temples, if I don't want them to get somewhere, they don't get there, but I don't broadcast this. They don't even know of the Temple of the Elder Elemental Eye yet. I also haven't directly connected the lesser temples to the Temple of the Elder Elemental Eye. That'll happen most directly when they get to the Temple of Eternal Flame. As such, I've been able to mainly keep things level appropriate. This isn't all that necessary of course. As others, and the book, point out: feel free to let them venture into dangerous territory and get a whoopin'. Time is limited for my group, so I haven't wanted (and find it harder to plan for) too many divergences--unless they are of my own making :). DM's gotta have some fun too!

One of my improvisations was to put a goblin warren in an abandoned mine, which is located down the NE tunnel (going off the map) in the Temple of the Crushing Wave. On their first foray in they were met with 80+ goblins hooting and whooping as they came out of shafts in Lord of the Rings fashion. The players fled. When next they came back, they were met with silence. As they investigated they found many dead goblis, but didn't inspect them. They continued further in and heard chanting. Finally arriving at a chamber they saw goblins engaged in a ritual dance and chant. They soon discovered that the chant was a form of prayer to Maglubiyet. But, for what? One of the players inspected the body at his feet and discovered the goblin, and its dead comrades, were completely exsanguinated. The cause, the cleric discovered: slimy doom disease. A battle ensues (of course) between goblins, led by a mage and his cyclops henchman. The mage has brought the disease to the clan, and figures he can get the goblins to do his bidding by ridding them of the disease. He incorrectly believes the fountain in the Temple can heal their ailment. Either way, he and the baddies are doomed; the PCs defeat them in a close battle; and, the PCs narrowly avoid acquiring the disease. It was a fantastical, fully on the spot improvised side trek that added some flavour to the campaign.

All told, my group and I are having a blast!