PDA

View Full Version : Working with maps and tokens

kevdog45
March 23rd, 2016, 04:45
I have all 3 of the D&D 5e packs now loaded up and today I made a map in Campaign Cartographer 3 and brought it into Fantasy Grounds. It looked really good and all that but when I made the map I set the grid to 32 pixels for 5 feet because the CC3 tutorial said that was the right ratio for Fantasy Grounds. I thought the tokens were awfully small at that ratio and the dragon tokens, which should probably be bigger, did not fit to scale. They just fit in the single square. What am I doing wrong if anything? Do I have to do something for the bigger creatures to take up their actual space?

damned
March 23rd, 2016, 05:31
I use 50px for maps. Other common sizes are 64, 72 and 100.
There is a Token Scaling setting in Options - also your monsters need to have a size in their description.

Mortar
March 23rd, 2016, 05:33
Generally, 50 or 100 px works better. Token size ca be adjusted by using the scroll wheel on the mouse. If you hold control while using the scroll wheel, it zooms only one icon.

kevdog45
March 23rd, 2016, 06:08
Thanks guys. I knew there would be an easy way to do it. I am going to try a fifty pixels map next. :)

kylania
March 23rd, 2016, 14:56
Personally I go with 100, 50 works well and results in smaller maps but you get a lot of anti-aliasing on map features.

Here's an in game comparison of 32 pixels per square, 50 pixels per square and 100 pixels per square of the same source map. It's showing how it looks in game with tokens from various sources and styles.

https://i.imgur.com/BVf7oMY.jpg