PDA

View Full Version : Install FG twice

Batman13
March 21st, 2016, 07:13
I would like my wife and I to play FG together, but I do not want to buy all of the content twice. Can I have my ultimate account and a basic verso installed on the same computer in different locations? Some times I want to DM and others u want to be a player and let my wife use my assets. Is this reasonable?

damned
March 21st, 2016, 07:36
You can use the same license for player and for GM. There is no advantage to using two licenses on the one computer.
You cant share DLC to another license holder even if she is the boss.
If you had two computers and your wife played from the second computer she could access whatever DLC you were sharing if she was connected as a player to your GM session.
Does that make sense?

Batman13
March 21st, 2016, 07:46
But she can not run as a GM with her basic account. Nor will she have use of my assets.

damned
March 21st, 2016, 07:58
A basic ($4/$39) account can most certainly be GM - but all players will also need a license ($4/$39 or $10/$149).
She cant share your DLC on another computer - that is correct.

If you both want to play from the same computer in a game the easiest/simplest way is to have one client open and select both characters and try not to spill anything as you fight over the keyboard.

Batman13
March 21st, 2016, 08:39
Ok.... we will install both on separate comutes. When she DMs for my family, she will use my account. When I DM, I will us my account. And no, we can't switch computers. She live in another country.

I can't be the first person to want to do this.

Trenloe
March 21st, 2016, 15:08
I can't be the first person to want to do this.
I'm sure you're not the first person to want to do this, but the FG license if for a single user. The EULA doesn't allow you to let someone else use your license (and purchases) - even your wife. You'll have issues if you both try to use the same license to join the same game - FG will block connections with the same license.

Batman13
March 21st, 2016, 15:13
I really appreciate all of your help, but you all keep missing the point. We will have two different licenses.we will log into a game with separate licenses each time, but we will just switch the license we are using depending on who is DM ing. There will be no log conflicts.

I am just trying to determine if I can install two instance of the software on the same machine to prevent key issues.

Trenloe
March 21st, 2016, 15:20
OK, sorry. It wasn't clear that you were going to be using different licenses. But, it sounds like you're also missing the point we've been trying to make too - if you and your wife are both using your account then that is breaking the user license agreement. The license and purchases you have made are for the use of one person, not one couple.

Batman13
March 21st, 2016, 15:24
Can you let a dev respond please. I really do not feel like arguing with the general population. My money bought both accounts and no eula can prevent fair use with in a family situation like this.

ddavison
March 21st, 2016, 16:18
The EULA allows installation on a single system and it is not transferable. We have expanded upon this to allow people to install on multiple systems that they control, such as (laptop vs desktop.) Sharing an account or license with a family member who resides at an alternate location is not a usage we support. It would leave us open to too many abuse situations (i.e., it's my adult brother or sister, my Dad, Mom, cousin, best friend, favorite DM, etc.) Many families use Fantasy Grounds as a way to bond and play together remotely, but we encourage everyone to have and maintain their own separate account and license, regardless of whether or not one family member has an Ultimate license and a lot of content.

Batman13
March 21st, 2016, 16:34
1. LICENSE GRANT. SmiteWorks, Ltd. grants you a license to use one copy of the version of this SOFTWARE on any one system for as many licenses as you purchase. "You" means the company, entity or individual whose funds are used to pay the license fee. "Use" means storing, loading, installing, executing or displaying the SOFTWARE. You may not modify the SOFTWARE or disable any licensing or control features of the SOFTWARE except as an intended part of the SOFTWARE's programming features. This license is not transferable to any other system, or to another organization or individual.

Yes and in many countries around the work including the one I live in, a husband and wife are considered an Entity since a marriage is basically a corporation. We share money and legal responsibility. You can consult your lawyer if you would like, but I am fairly cretin I am correct. Since two separate licenses have been purchased it would be difficult for you to prove your company is loosing anything substantial considering a family of 10 could use the same computer and account without any repercussions.

That being said, You did not answer my question; Can I have my ultimate account and a Standard version installed on the same computer?

On a side note; you might want to post these rules before people buy a subscription, because I could see how this may be an issue for some. You can see the eula until after you pay for the software.

Nylanfs
March 21st, 2016, 17:10
The license key is written to the registry AFAIK, so installing twice won't help (at least without additional hassles).

ddavison
March 21st, 2016, 17:19
We don't offer legal advice, especially across country boundaries. That said, we have not sued anyone or been sued by anyone in the past. We also offer refunds to unsatisfied customers, and that includes people who disagree with the EULA that they agree to before installing the software. I'm not sure how much time you may have ever spent dealing with attorneys and lawyers, but it is pretty pointless to debate legal resolutions for anything as trivial as the costs of software. A typical 1 hour billing rate would normally cost more than we are discussing.

Batman13
March 21st, 2016, 20:22
I work with several lawyers. But they specialize in British and EU law for some odd reason. The way it has been explained to me is community property. Anything I own my wife owns too. So, we can legally share pretty much anything unless specifically specified my name. This whole point is not really necessary since I do not think I can install two instances on the same machine.

midas
March 21st, 2016, 20:46
You cant share DLC to another license holder even if she is the boss.

Just wanted to point out this brilliance.

damned
March 22nd, 2016, 01:19
You can install two instances of FG to two separate locations however only one set of registry keys is written and both versions of FG will attempt to utilise the one key (stored in the registry) and there is only one data path (stored in the registry). So you technically CAN have two installations but they will to all practical purposes perform identically to each other and would not achieve what you are trying to do.

bnickelsen
November 20th, 2016, 13:29
You can install two instances of FG to two separate locations however only one set of registry keys is written and both versions of FG will attempt to utilise the one key (stored in the registry) and there is only one data path (stored in the registry). So you technically CAN have two installations but they will to all practical purposes perform identically to each other and would not achieve what you are trying to do.

One Laptop two user profiles. two people want to use the the same Laptop (at different times.) Person A has an ultimate Licence, Person B is using the the free version. There is no interest in Person A sharing content with Person B or Vice Versa. How ever When Person B is playing Person A is Hosting on another laptop/Desktop. Is this still going to cause an issue. Is not the registry user profile specific?

ddavison
November 20th, 2016, 14:55
The registry should be writing to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Fantasy Grounds\2.0, so this should work. Make sure to give each two separate paths as well for both the program files and the program data folders.

bnickelsen
November 20th, 2016, 19:38
The registry should be writing to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Fantasy Grounds\2.0, so this should work. Make sure to give each two separate paths as well for both the program files and the program data folders.

When you go to download FG you are given two options. Demo and All Licenses. I am thinking these are really two different installs and a free account can not use the All Licenses version.

I have a Laptop and with my personal login on that Laptop I installed the All Licenses version and all was good. Now I am logging into another user on that Laptop and my son will use that login. When I try launch FG from with in his profile I get a popup asking for a license key.

Is this the expected behavior and will I need to get him a basic license so he can play on this laptop?

ddavison
November 20th, 2016, 19:40
It is actually the same install for both. Just leave the license key blank on the 2nd install. That should place it in DEMO mode.

bnickelsen
November 20th, 2016, 19:51
The key field is blank but it keeps popping up with a little window asking for a key........I am going to get a few screen shots and start another thread just for this item.

damned
November 20th, 2016, 20:52
When you go to download FG you are given two options. Demo and All Licenses. I am thinking these are really two different installs and a free account can not use the All Licenses version.

I have a Laptop and with my personal login on that Laptop I installed the All Licenses version and all was good. Now I am logging into another user on that Laptop and my son will use that login. When I try launch FG from with in his profile I get a popup asking for a license key.

Is this the expected behavior and will I need to get him a basic license so he can play on this laptop?

Make a second install location for the second profile as per post #18?