PDA

View Full Version : New Alias

spite
March 20th, 2016, 09:00
Hey there! Is it limited to how often you can change the alias?
I recently clicked it by accident and changed from the best, and easiest to remember Cold Idol Firm Ogre to some horribly clunky alias, and went to click it again in hopes of rolling a new easier-to-say alias, but now it wont change.
What's the dealio?

LordEntrails
March 23rd, 2016, 05:38
It's been some months since I've done it, but I was able to click through half a dozen or so aliases until I go to something I was content with.

damned
March 23rd, 2016, 11:19
Its quite possible the ability to cycle through dozens of aliases was removed. With the increasing number of games I believe we started to see some new games getting aliases that existing gms got many moons/sols ago and were still in use. It may have been rate limited to reduce this occurrence?

Weepdrag
March 23rd, 2016, 20:01
While on the subject of aliases, Is there a way to manually set an IP to be aliased? The problem I have is this: I have a static IP, BUT it is behind a NAT. So my actual incoming static IP is XXX.XXX.XXX.XX1 and my IP as far as Whatismyip or FG is concerned is XXX.XXX.XXX.123. I'm kind of reluctant to give out my static IP to anyone but trusted individuals which really puts a cramp in hosting games for unknown players.

If this isn't do-able, does anyone know of a service that does IP Aliasing that can be user defined?

Thanks for any input

damned
March 24th, 2016, 09:32
I dont believe so... in terms of hiding your IP - anyone savvy enough to try and target you from a game of FG will know your IP already - its really not very hard to find at all. If your router/firewall is appropriately configured I dont think there is a great risk here. Using a VPN or a Hamachi like service might be your best bet.

ddavison
March 24th, 2016, 14:23
Unless Moon Wizard adding something recently that I'm unaware of, we don't limit the ability to request a new alias.

Weepdrag
March 24th, 2016, 15:37
Thanks Damned,
Aliasing is just to keep the honest person honest anyway. I have a pretty secure network but I'm still subject to the false sense of security that aliasing provides. As far as being savvy, from the posts in the forum, I would be afraid, very afraid :)

Thanks again

Trenloe
March 24th, 2016, 15:43
The FG alias is there not just for security, it helps with those of use who don't have static IP addresses - we just give out the alias to our players and they use the same alias for each game we play and they can keep using the same alias for months and months, even if our WAN IP address changes. No need to check what the current WAN IP is just before every game and inform all of the players.

Weepdrag
March 24th, 2016, 21:58
Thanks Trenloe, I needed that correction.