PDA

View Full Version : PFC - #3-23:Goblinblood Dead - (CORE)

d1wright
March 19th, 2016, 16:47
A Pathfinder Society Scenario designed for 1st to 5th level characters (Tiers: 1-2 and 4-5).

More than a decade has passed since the Goblinblood Wars left the nation of Isger in shambles, and the Pathfinder Society uses the many abandoned roads through the county's interior to smuggle valuable relics. But when a series of attacks on the Varisian caravans carrying the illicit cargo puts the route in jeopardy, it falls to the PCs to investigate and rid the region of the threat to the Society's operations.

Written by Jerall Toi.

THIS GAME WILL TAKE PLACE ON Saturday March 26th. CHECK THE GAME CALENDAR FOR THE START TIME. (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=1901)

If you would like to play..
Post your character information here and sign up on the Game Calendar.

NOTE: This is a CORE ONLY game and makes use of the rules for the CORE Campaign.

Blackfoot
March 19th, 2016, 16:56
I'm in. I'll probably play either my Wizard (2) or my Druid (1).

bigboom
March 19th, 2016, 17:35
Count me in also! I've got a lvl 2 fighter or lvl 4 ranger.

cmdisc
March 19th, 2016, 19:53
I can play either my 3rd level Druid or a 2nd level....something. I have a no-name toon sitting around with 3 CORE GM credits that I can morph into something by then.

BF, how does your wizard feel about getting dragged through a 4-5? If not, bigboom and I should probably stick with our 2nd level guys.

Blackfoot
March 19th, 2016, 20:00
Well.. I could play my Sorcerer, Zwootwick, if this went upper tier, I guess... I was kinda trying to get some playtime on one of my GM xp characters. I've been spending the last couple hours trying to figure out what exactly that character actually is. Most like a gnome of some variety... I have a pretty nice cleric of Desna... I dunno. Zwootwick is still ahead of Fengard on XP currently.. but I think they are all tied up after SoI P2.. so I guess if you go with Fengard I may as well play Zwootwick.

Blackfoot
March 19th, 2016, 20:06
Actually.. it would probably take some level 4 or 5s to push this to the upper tier.

Blackfoot
March 19th, 2016, 20:11
BTW... they seriously have some issue with bears in this game.. I don't know if this is a left over from 3.5 or what... but if you compare the stats for bear vs tiger companions... they are sad. Bears should be awesome in a different way than tigers... not sucky. It's just sad. I mean.. yeah.. ok.. you could choose to have a sun bear companion... but if I go with a grizzly, Alaskan brown, or polar bear companion.. they should be medium growing to large.. not small growing to medium. OI. The animal companions aren't very well balanced overall. I had kinda been planning to go with Eagle or Owl... but they don't every grow up to be large enough to ride.. so.. that's kinda less fun.

Skellan
March 19th, 2016, 20:23
This is a fun scenario

Blackfoot
March 19th, 2016, 20:25
You gonna play with us Skellan? Haven't seen you in a PFS game for a while. :)

Skellan
March 19th, 2016, 20:42
Thanks for the offer but I have run this one about 10 times or something hehe.

HoloGnome
March 19th, 2016, 21:17
I will bring a 2nd-level PFC character that I haven't built yet. His name is Corpus Murdo which is latin for "Murder Hobo" or something. :D Also, I have GM'd this one twice, so don't ask me for clues...and I agree with Skellan - it's lots of fun.

d1wright
March 20th, 2016, 20:41
We're confirmed for Saturday, 26 March. When folks get a chance, send me your latest chronicle and XML.

Please double check the start time on the calendar as we will be starting on time.

cmdisc
March 21st, 2016, 16:06
Here is Dirk Dashing, Hero Extraordinaire! He is as confident in his own abilities as he is stupid...which is to say VERY!

Dave, that portrait will look familiar. I just can't pass up that arrogant smirk. :)

HoloGnome
March 21st, 2016, 22:14

cmdisc
March 22nd, 2016, 13:41
Or there's this portrait.

cmdisc
March 23rd, 2016, 07:57
Ok, this portrait for the win.

bigboom
March 23rd, 2016, 09:45
I was reading this blog...
https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-30-funniest-single-panels-in-comic-book-history-1766381243

... when I came across this image and I thought it was quite appropriate given the direction this thread is going...

Update: hmmm... OK, maybe not the best quality picture as I'm trying to use my phone to post at the moment. But look at the blog link, picture number 21!

HoloGnome
March 23rd, 2016, 14:56
I don't know...it may need to go more in this direction...

bigboom
March 23rd, 2016, 18:05
OK, that just screams grumpy Bill Murray druid with an animal companion to me. That'll be tough to top!

HoloGnome
March 23rd, 2016, 20:29
I think that sounds right. I just did a harrow reading and it came up with the Brass Dwarf as the dominant card.

Dirk Seems hale and strong, but then he falters in his duties as a Paladin, spends a few months as a druid and...eventually...it's over the cliff with a woodchuck.

d1wright
March 25th, 2016, 15:13
Folks, PM or post your latest chronicle and XML if you haven't already.

Game is on for tomorrow!

bigboom
March 25th, 2016, 15:26
Here are the details of my lvl 2 fighter

Blackfoot
March 25th, 2016, 16:08
Sorry for the delay, I was vacillating a bit on animal companions.
Inventory Tracking Sheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Ne_1h5z24Ydj1Wpf7O3z1OrOFM7mbE5TbkPS315YNYw/edit?usp=sharing)

d1wright
March 25th, 2016, 22:09
I have all XML and chronicles except for Vulgar.

I'll have the server up an hour before the game for folks to play with their effects and set up hot keys.

Blackfoot
March 26th, 2016, 11:32
I can post the info for Vulgar if that helps.

Blackfoot
March 26th, 2016, 13:23
Here are Vulgar's files.

d1wright
March 26th, 2016, 15:54
I have the server up if anyone wanted to check on anything. Game in 2 hours.

scrawny keep daring goon

Blackfoot
March 27th, 2016, 05:20
Hmm. I was looking over the rules for 'Tricks' ... seems like these are the only tricks available in CORE (https://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/coreRulebook/skills/handleAnimal.html#handle-animal): Attack (DC 20): The animal attacks apparent enemies. You may point to a particular creature that you wish the animal to attack, and it will comply if able. Normally, an animal will attack only humanoids, monstrous humanoids, giants, or other animals. Teaching an animal to attack all creatures (including such unnatural creatures as undead and aberrations) counts as two tricks.
Come (DC 15): The animal comes to you, even if it normally would not do so.
Defend (DC 20): The animal defends you (or is ready to defend you if no threat is present), even without any command being given. Alternatively, you can command the animal to defend another specific character.
Down (DC 15): The animal breaks off from combat or otherwise backs down. An animal that doesn't know this trick continues to fight until it must flee (due to injury, a fear effect, or the like) or its opponent is defeated.
Fetch (DC 15): The animal goes and gets something. If you do not point out a specific item, the animal fetches a random object.
Guard (DC 20): The animal stays in place and prevents others from approaching.
Heel (DC 15): The animal follows you closely, even to places where it normally wouldn't go.
Perform (DC 15): The animal performs a variety of simple tricks, such as sitting up, rolling over, roaring or barking, and so on.
Seek (DC 15): The animal moves into an area and looks around for anything that is obviously alive or animate.
Stay (DC 15): The animal stays in place, waiting for you to return. It does not challenge other creatures that come by, though it still defends itself if it needs to.
Track (DC 20): The animal tracks the scent presented to it. (This requires the animal to have the scent ability.)
Work (DC 15): The animal pulls or pushes a medium or heavy load.

These don't of course include the general purpose tricks that are really just a combination of these tricks... actually Combat Riding is one that isn't really in that list because it's a general purpose thing.. hrm. Combat Training (DC 20): An animal trained to bear a rider into combat knows the tricks attack, come, defend, down, guard, and heel. Training an animal for combat riding takes 6 weeks. You may also "upgrade" an animal trained for riding to one trained for combat by spending 3 weeks and making a successful DC 20 Handle Animal check. The new general purpose and tricks completely replace the animal's previous purpose and any tricks it once knew. Many horses and riding dogs are trained in this way.
Fighting (DC 20): An animal trained to engage in combat knows the tricks attack, down, and stay. Training an animal for fighting takes 3 weeks.
Guarding (DC 20): An animal trained to guard knows the tricks attack, defend, down, and guard. Training an animal for guarding takes 4 weeks.
Heavy Labor (DC 15): An animal trained for heavy labor knows the tricks come and work. Training an animal for heavy labor takes 2 weeks.
Hunting (DC 20): An animal trained for hunting knows the tricks attack, down, fetch, heel, seek, and track. Training an animal for hunting takes 6 weeks.
Performance (DC 15): An animal trained for performance knows the tricks come, fetch, heel, perform, and stay. Training an animal for performance takes 5 weeks.
Riding (DC 15): An animal trained to bear a rider knows the tricks come, heel, and stay. Training an animal for riding takes 3 weeks.

Mike Brock's Ruling (https://paizo.com/threads/rzs2ov8y?Camel-companion-with-a-grapple-CMB-of-23#50)
That said.. I'm pretty sure that I read somewhere that if you gave an animal companion a Combat Maneuver Feat.. like Improved Overrun or Improved Trip.. they either automatically get a trick to perform that feat or you can at least train them to do it... I need to find that post/rule somewhere.
Seems like 'Flank' and 'Aid' are out for CORE.

cmdisc
March 27th, 2016, 09:38
Great job running, Dave. Congrats on your first PFS run as GM. Here's hoping you're hooked and looking forward to many, many more.

Mortimer's Chronicle looks good.

Thanks again.

d1wright
March 27th, 2016, 17:14
Everyone should now have their chronicles.

Blackfoot
March 27th, 2016, 17:29
I'm thinking I should sell off all my weapons before my next game and pick up a Pearl of Power. I can use a 'free' club after that if I really feel the need to swing at something. Ultimately, 1d4+0 weapons are kinda pointless when guys like Vulgar are dishing out damage like 2d6+12 or more... I think I'll end up doing more with spells, diplomacy, and friendly animals.

cmdisc
March 27th, 2016, 21:07
I was surprised to find that CLW wand useful as a weapon. :) This has given me some interesting ideas in how to develop Mortimer....but I won't bother with the details though as you're all probably more interested in telling me about your characters than hearing about mine. :p

Blackfoot
March 28th, 2016, 10:38
I was surprised to find that CLW wand useful as a weapon. :) This has given me some interesting ideas in how to develop Mortimer....but I won't bother with the details though as you're all probably more interested in telling me about your characters than hearing about mine. :p
How do you figure that? Rant on. :)