PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations to the Dev, Support and volunteers in this community!

whiteTiki
March 19th, 2016, 00:47
Hi there everyone,

Some of the people in this community know me by now and they also know that I take some time not only to write about some areas of improvement and things that should be done, but I also take my time to write something when there has been a change for good.

Recently I’ve been having a lot of work compared to some months ago, and I also suspended my ultimate license in FG because I’m no longer using it for the moment; I’ve been playing AL in a store recently. So there I was minding my own business when I decided to take a look at the forums and tried to catch up with some news when I realized the awesome and amazing change that took place during my absence. The whole website and forums page were redesigned! I’m so happy about this and what this represents to the community, so I want to congratulate the whole support team, developer team and any other volunteers involved for this reasons:

I’m really happy for the fact that since I joined the community I’ve been observing constant improvements done to the FG platforms. Not only the FG software platform, but also the web page, wiki, videos, etc.
This type of actions, made by the support and developer teams, are some actions that we (users) can measure and see for ourselves. I don’t doubt for a single second the work the support team does, but many people actually do doubt them and I’ve seen it in forums. I believe that you guys make a really good work when it comes to keeping that “constant improvement” philosophy in your minds.
I really liked the new image for the webpage. Of course, as you guys should know by now, it’s not perfect, but I’m sure you’ll fix the small glitches and still re-arrange here and there some few things.
Some months ago I remember that you guys were having some hard time cause you were “behind schedule” with a lot of plans;
1.- The DMG, OotA, SCAG and some other manuals were pending.
2.- The platform for 5e still had a lot of improvements to be made.
3.- The web page and some other web-related stuff was pending.
4.- The migration to the unity platform which was supposed to launch around September 2015 wasn’t even being worked on because of the high demand of work in other areas.
Now the only thing I can observe is that you guys have actually completed most of those tasks in just a few months and that’s incredible! Points 1, 2, 3 are now beautifully done which can only mean you guys are serious about the unity thingy now (I guess).

So congrats for all that!

Now it’s time for the questions and ideas I want to suggest. The real reason why I came here is because some revelation came to me when I cancelled my ultimate subscription. I started playing AL in a store as I mentioned before, and then I felt the need to consult all my D&D manuals digitally. Then I thought the obvious thing first (not going to mention it), and then I asked myself: Isn’t there a way to legally have a digital copy of all the manuals and be able to consult them anytime from your phone or tablet or whatever? The closest thing I could think of was FG and the purchased content I already had. So my idea to you guys (which you have probably already think of) is:

There should be some FG Android/Apple/whatever app called the “Fantasy Grounds Browser”. You guys don’t need to create all the FG software for each one of them (you know, the whole playing DM/player platform), the only thing you should make is a “browser” for the moment; that allows you to browse over your purchased content or manuals. With this app (that I’m totally willing to pay for), the user should only be able to browse the manuals or adventures they’ve purchased within the FG store and be able to take the content they have already purchased to wherever they want. What do you guys think?

You should know that I’m not the “collectors” type of guy. I know a lot of people prefer the hard cover printed version of things but I actually prefer the digital versions AS LONG AS I CAN have them with me and use them anywhere anytime. For all the people like me, who are OK with the digital version, the only bad thing about purchasing stuff from the FG store right now is the “portable” issue. And I know what you guys are about to say; “you can use a laptop or your Microsoft surface like tablet” but, seriously you guys should know that nowadays laptops are “oldschool” when it comes to portable and when you’re a player, the best thing should be to be able to consult the purchased content from your phone.

So, now that I stated my idea, I get to the part where I mention my problem and a question:
My problem right now is that the only way to consult the FG content is by re-subscribe to the license I previously had or to buy a license. So, regarding this problem and some things I mentioned before about me guessing you guys are working in the migration thingy, I have this question:

If I purchase an ultimate license (not subscription) right now just for the purposes of “browsing” my purchased content, and the new platform comes in just some months from now, will I be charged again for a completely new platform and a new “ultimate” version of it again? Have you guys taken a thought of this before?

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to read this and congratulations to you all again for the excellent work you’ve done for this community!

Trenloe
March 19th, 2016, 01:19
Some mention here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?27663-Will-I-Have-to-re-buy-the-game-when-the-new-edition-is-released&p=247641&viewfull=1#post247641

Varsuuk
March 19th, 2016, 06:18
Also, in-the-know correct me if wrong, but if you aren't going to host yet, you can just spend $40 for the full license and have access to your already bought modules (and the new 5e SRDs and 5e Basic Rules modules from a while back.)

You could buy the new DMG also and use the "reference" session to read it. However, it certainly is not comparable to what it would look like if it were an ePub. But it's great for FG and you CAN certainly read it while on your FG box.

You can upgrade to Ultimate later when you start hosting again.

Plus if you buy a full or ultimate license now, you get to see another improvement, a new tutorial campaign by the devs. If you've been playing a while it's probably all things you know but hey, you can look at it and direct newbies to it :)

ddavison
March 20th, 2016, 03:03
Thanks for the note. We definitely believe in providing constant improvements, inspired by community suggestions such as yours. I am supremely confident that the Unity version will be a huge step forward again -- the biggest yet. To answer your question about the Unity version, you won't have to re-buy content. We plan to make it capable of using or at least importing this content. For the one-time license, there will likely be a tiered upgrade fee based on age and most likely done as a Pay What You Want style upgrade fee with suggested tiers. For subscriptions, we expect these will just roll forward into the new version.

The browser app is not a bad idea at all and is something we've considered in the past. There are some potential licensing issues that we would need to consider though.