PDA

View Full Version : Looking at FG backwards

Black Hammer
March 18th, 2016, 20:52
Fantasy Grounds is a tool designed to facilitate running existing tabletop role-playing game systems online, usually with additional outside support in the form of things like VOIP and game manuals, whether in print or electronic form. However, all of these systems are designed around the idea of tabletop gaming, with all that implies:
Simple math that anyone can do in their head
Basic randomization that revolves around the use of standard dice (flat d6, bell curve 3d6, d100, etc)
Character sheets that are not meant to hold more information than fits on both sides of an 8.5x11 sheet
Sequential turn-based combat, in which a player completes the vast bulk of their actions within the confines of their turn

This isn't even getting into the tropes of RPG mechanics to begin with, the sort of things some people have been trying to get away from for years with things like diceless systems, narrative games, no-GM systems, player-facing systems where the GM doesn't roll anything, and so forth.

What would an RPG system built from the ground up around the idea of being played online look like? How could it better take advantage of the strengths a computer offers, and mitigate the loss of things like having players face-to-face?

Skellan
March 18th, 2016, 21:09
That's an interesting question. I gm both on FG and tabletop and I think once everyone knows what they are doing I find FG much easier. Maths is the enemy of fun. I guess an rpg built for virtual tabetop could include more complex maths....

Mask_of_winter
March 19th, 2016, 00:28
Hasn't the Extinction Event been designed for Fantasy Grounds?

Varsuuk
March 19th, 2016, 06:29
I thought he meant "GF" and it was going to be about having faction-grind enough to get RPG gamete e again...

But back on topic, yeah, I'd love to see crazy-calculations based gaming in a digital world. Keeping systems related (d20, ability-based rules) wouldn't be critical at all. Use whatever works best for whatever domain you are in.

Heck high AC could be negative, you could roll percentile dice to grapple and sneak then d20 to hit some base "AC-Epoch" of sorts... Why, you could design hps and ac for individual mundane items... Develop malaria rules and how to get list and and and... What? Oh yeah...

[bad] Jokes aside, yes, I really think it could be great but unfortunately it is unlikely going to come from a well funded big name franchise like D&D (again...)