PDA

View Full Version : Character lock.

Outsider418
March 18th, 2016, 14:12
Good morning.

I hope I'm in the right place for this question :)

In my campaign, I have a player character that I am running as part of the story.

As a DM, is there any way I can make a player character for the DM's use and lock that character so that the other players cannot view or take control of it? Or am I just going to have to make that player into a regular NPC.

Thanks!

-MP-

Mask_of_winter
March 18th, 2016, 14:16
Sure, this: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?28728-GM-PC-Ownership-Extension

Mask_of_winter
March 18th, 2016, 14:16
Sure, this: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?28728-GM-PC-Ownership-Extension

Unless you're playing Savage Worlds, then it comes standard.

Ellspeth
March 18th, 2016, 16:50
This doesn't allow portrait of a PC ran by the GM to appear at the top of the screen with the other player characters though then, right?

Trenloe
March 18th, 2016, 17:50
This doesn't allow portrait of a PC ran by the GM to appear at the top of the screen with the other player characters though then, right?
Correct. That only occurs when a player is controlling a PC.

damned
March 19th, 2016, 01:05
Which you can do by opening a second session and connecting to localhost

Varsuuk
March 19th, 2016, 06:20
Yes, this wonderful extension helps non Savages ;) "hide" a character from player use. Previously a workaround might have been was to grab it on another instance on the same local host.

Outsider418
May 3rd, 2016, 22:24
Thanks for the advice. I finally got around to loading that extension, it works great!

Andraax
May 4th, 2016, 01:17
As a DM, is there any way I can make a player character for the DM's use and lock that character so that the other players cannot view or take control of it? Or am I just going to have to make that player into a regular NPC.

As GM, connect a second instance via localhost and take ownership of the character. Then disconnect. You only have to do this once and the players can no longer see that character (nor does it's portrait show up, unless you reconnect via localhost and take control of the character during a game session). And you don't need to rely on an extension (which may break with future releases of the software).