PDA

View Full Version : Questions of Tweakage

Wolfheart
March 17th, 2016, 23:56
Hey all,

Is there an easy way to make NPC boxes look and behave and basically be identical to PC character sheets?
In my dreams I imagine it's a simple matter of going into the character sheet files, copy stuff, and replace NPC file stuff with PC file stuff?

I probably shouldn't be asking this at it probably will lead to gnashing of teeth and pulling of hair, but I'm morbidly curious.

Basically what I'm trying to do is that when I click the NPC shield/button, it allows me to create NPCs just like I create PCs, including portrait and all the jazz on the regular Player Character sheet.

No, I don't need to hear that the NPC box as is, is good enough because no. :bandit:

damned
March 18th, 2016, 01:14
Create PCs and use the extension to take GM ownership of them.
You can use PCs as NPCs just fine.
Its possible to write up a ruleset where the PCs and NPCs share the same charsheet but few rulesets do because the NPCs in most ruleset bestiaries are pretty skinny on detail.

Trenloe
March 18th, 2016, 04:38
Depending on the ruleset you'd need to change quite a few references in the code that assume a database structure different from the PC structure (most d20 based rulesets will be like this). This may take a few hours to do by someone very familiar with the ruleset, but then they'd have to update this pretty much every time there was a ruleset update in future. Not trivial and a long term commitment to keep it up-to-date and compatible.

Wolfheart
March 18th, 2016, 07:26
Thanks for the replies.:)

Create PCs and use the extension to take GM ownership of them.
Which extension are you referring to?

damned
March 18th, 2016, 08:02
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?28728-GM-PC-Ownership-Extension

Wolfheart
March 18th, 2016, 08:24
:o
Wasn't aware of this one - thank you for the link and thank you Trenloe for the file :)
So there *was* an easy way :p

damned
March 18th, 2016, 08:34
Trenloe wrote this a couple of weeks back in response to a rash of similar requests... dont forget to give him some reputation :)

Trenloe
March 18th, 2016, 16:24
So there *was* an easy way :p
Well, if by "easy way" you mean they're still exactly the same as PCs and don't have any NPC specific functionality (using in pre-populated encounter entries, for example) then, yes. ;) The extension isn't changing any of the NPC code, that remains as is.

Wolfheart
March 18th, 2016, 20:15
Well, if by "easy way" you mean they're still exactly the same as PCs and don't have any NPC specific functionality (using in pre-populated encounter entries, for example) then, yes. ;) The extension isn't changing any of the NPC code, that remains as is.

No, I'm fine. Not using FG for any automation anyway (not until I eventually run or get into a D&D group or something).

But I realized that I could have figured this out even without the extension (I guess) - having the (N)PCs in one instance of the game and then play the game with a second instance of FG. Which I'll probably do as I have a truckload of statted and ready NPCs as PCs already in a campaign file.

But still, good job and I'll try it out anyway.
damned, I wasn't aware of any reputation until you mentioned it, but now that I know, I've repped you both (and should probably go back to some old thread where you were helpful and add more rep, but then again it doesn't seem like you are having any rep draught anytime soon ^^)