PDA

View Full Version : Barovian Calendar

FSHSchmo
March 17th, 2016, 04:11
I am currently prepping to run CoS in a few weeks and noticed the part about Barovia having its own calendar. Has anybody made a calendar specific to this campaign setting or able to work one up? :D

Zacchaeus
March 17th, 2016, 10:12
I can't even find the bit where it says there's a unique calendar :)

FSHSchmo
March 17th, 2016, 12:58
I can't even find the bit where it says there's a unique calendar :)

Page 26 of the physical copy and story entry 02.03 in the FG module.

Zacchaeus
March 17th, 2016, 14:06
Looking at that entry it's a bit vague since it doesn't tell you how long a lunar cycle is. But if we assume 28 days then the Eberron Calendar looks a likely candidate, since it seems to consist of 12 twenty-eight day months.

FSHSchmo
March 18th, 2016, 02:25
Looking at that entry it's a bit vague since it doesn't tell you how long a lunar cycle is. But if we assume 28 days then the Eberron Calendar looks a likely candidate, since it seems to consist of 12 twenty-eight day months.

Found this on a website (https://ravengrey.wikidot.com/barovian-calendar) but it still doesnt lay the calendar out.

FSHSchmo
March 27th, 2016, 02:46

Is this the calendar that is currently built into FG?

Moon Wizard
March 27th, 2016, 05:17
There is a calendars module with several standard calendars for D&D campaigns as well as the Gregorian calendar. If Eberron is missing, let me know. I'm away from machine this weekend to check.

Regards,
JPG

Teknykk
March 27th, 2016, 05:24
I'm actually interested in this myself, as I tend to rely on a calendar for a lot of things. That said, the default adventure starting world is Forgotten Realms, so I'm currently using that unless a Barovian Calendar makes an appearance as a module or something. I'm simply using the two following links below as a guide as best I can, in addition to the small amount of information within the adventure module itself. If there's any highly learned Ravenloft experts out there who can provide more insight, perhaps someone here can work on a module or even have it integrated into the default calendar system, seeing as it appears some folks are showing interest in it since Curse of Strahd released.

https://ravengrey.wikidot.com/barovian-calendar
https://www.nwnravenloft.com/world_barovia.html

Zacchaeus
March 27th, 2016, 11:50
Is this the calendar that is currently built into FG?

Yes.

FSHSchmo
March 27th, 2016, 14:47
I have the calendar enabled and below is the only calendar I see displayed. For whatever reason I cannot advance/change the time. I click the time spot but it will not let me change it.

Zacchaeus
March 27th, 2016, 16:00
[QUOTE=FSHSchmo;263150]I have the calendar enabled and below is the only calendar I see displayed. For whatever reason I cannot advance/change the time. I click the time spot but it will not let me change it.
QUOTE]

Try right clicking on the calendar and selecting reset.

If that doesn't work start a new campaign and select the calendar icon and you should get a prompt to open the calendar module. You should have 6 to choose from. Not sure what is going on with your one; possibly you have some extension running that's interfering?

FSHSchmo
March 28th, 2016, 02:44
I have the calendar enabled and below is the only calendar I see displayed. For whatever reason I cannot advance/change the time. I click the time spot but it will not let me change it.

Try right clicking on the calendar and selecting reset.

If that doesn't work start a new campaign and select the calendar icon and you should get a prompt to open the calendar module. You should have 6 to choose from. Not sure what is going on with your one; possibly you have some extension running that's interfering?

Did that and it resets where I can choose the FR calendar but still cant edit the time, only the date.

Teknykk
March 28th, 2016, 05:49
You edit time in a calendar by holding CTRL and then using your mouse wheel up or down while hovering over the hour or minutes to alter the direction forwards or backwards by one hour or one minute per wheel movement.

Zacchaeus
March 28th, 2016, 11:18
Did that and it resets where I can choose the FR calendar but still cant edit the time, only the date.

My apologies I didn't read your post properly and failed therefore to notice that it was the time you wanted to change not the date. It is as Teknykk says.

FSHSchmo
March 28th, 2016, 18:22
Thank you both! Will try that when I get home.

Teknykk
April 3rd, 2016, 11:27
So thanks to Zacchaeus doing his Castle Ravenloft maps, I got curious with the method of creating modules, so I fiddled with his module to learn how to do the foundations of XML in one day. That said, I then decided what the hell, I'll go play around with the calendars module and see what I can do with it. Turns out, I found a solid source of Ravenloft information, including a rather detailed sort of calendar, pulled from various sources and placed on a website called the Fraternity of Shadows. You can find the link below, but I've also provided a mostly simple calendar with 30 days in each month, except October, which has 31, and the cycle of New Moons and Full Moons as holiday markers. The other holidays I haven't bothered to add, but if you want more information, you can follow that link below - otherwise, enjoy my rather simple attempt at my first module, but I can't really take author credit for it when it's drawn from a Smiteworks module and another community group through official works - so I've given it to the Fraternity of Shadows instead.

P.S. The best suggestion I can give, if you like to try and follow official lore with the year Curse of Strahd is set in, then the 21st of June, 735 BC (735 being year and BC being era respectively) is the best location, as that's when apparently Strahd wakes from a hibernation. My personal intent is to have them arrive and do Death House before dusk, and after it he wakes to see his "guests" just as dusk falls into night, while looking down to the Village in a stormy and broody way.

https://www.fraternityofshadows.com/Mausoleum.html

Zacchaeus
April 3rd, 2016, 11:57
Nice work - stickied above.

Moon Wizard
April 5th, 2016, 03:38
I'm going to toss the Barovian calendar into the standard calendar module for the 3.2.0 version I am working on.

Thanks,
JPG

FSHSchmo
April 7th, 2016, 22:40
I'm going to toss the Barovian calendar into the standard calendar module for the 3.2.0 version I am working on.

Thanks,
JPG

Exciting!

SilentRuin
January 21st, 2021, 22:49

Thanks,
JPG

(sigh) After checking I have the sinking feeling that in an existing campaign I won't get this.

Moon Wizard
January 21st, 2021, 23:02
No, it's only for rebuilding the calendar by resetting, and re-selecting.

Log entries are stored with day/month/year as numbers; so it may just work to a degree. You could always back up your campaign, and give it a try.

Regards,
JPG