PDA

View Full Version : C# & Unity questions

Varsuuk
March 17th, 2016, 00:11
Back in the day, I read one of the Wrox C# books. I really liked the language, it seemed better than Java to me. I don't recall if it was v2 or v3 back then.

I played a little, I was in a Battlefield 2 "campaign/community tournament" (BF2Combat.net) and at one point they started collecting player stats on matches and with some simple C# coding, I was about to grab via rcon the data and present it parsed into a file. Was a nice little thing, but I had just changed jobs and time flew. Never used it in work, while ve always had th latest Visual Studio, originally on own and later through work for free, which is good b/c I rarely have ge chance to use it. I tend to work in Linux with g++ and originally eclipse cdt and now Netbeans as well.

I looked up unity and see its for C#, or at least the book I ran across "Unity in Action" at Manning press. With the new FG, will there be coding/extensions/scripting that wold be accessible or preferred through either Unity or c# alone? If so, it would be the final impetus I need to add that language to my toolbox AND finally have an excuse to use my VS2015 Pro etc. or still all Lua?

IF the answer is yes, any recommendations o good learning C# and or Unity (I suck at graphics, so unless unity is used for other things than moving/drawing, it won't be for me)

There's a couple book sales today and tomorrow, so if anyone knows...holler.

Ken L
March 17th, 2016, 17:09
I think it might be a combination of Lua and some other scripting language.

Either way it's good to notch it on your belt, can't really go wrong with O'Riely.

I don't use much C# either given I work and develop on Linux at the kernel and system daemon level. I have Mono lying around so I may give it a shot.

Moon Wizard
March 17th, 2016, 19:11
We will be continuing to use XML and Lua as the languages to write for the FG platform.

It just doesn't make sense to change with the large variety of DLC already available and working. Also, offering anything other than a sandboxed scripting environment is a security issue.

Regards,
JPG

Varsuuk
March 17th, 2016, 19:40
Cool, I suspected as such. But figured I'd check so if it was, I'd have time to bone up.