PDA

View Full Version : New to this

DoomsBane
March 16th, 2016, 22:00
Alright I know this is the wrong thread for this question but I am new to this. Alright so I just went to steam and downloaded the demo. So will I need to pay 39 dollars at some point for full version? Also now that I have it download I have went in and started looking for a game. But I cannot figure out how to make a character? Perhaps you could help me with this?

Zacchaeus
March 16th, 2016, 22:20
Hi, DoomsBane and welcome to Fantasy Grounds and to the community.

If you are planning to use the software only as a player then, provided the DM has an ultimate license then all you will ever need is the demo version. You, can of course, upgrade and you will need to do so if you plan on DMing a game. For that a full license is required if all the players also have a full license and an ultimate license if the players only have the demo.

Before I can point you in the right direction for character creation it will depend on what ruleset you intend to play (Pathfinder, 3.5, 4e, 5e, Savage Worlds etc etc). Having said that the wiki here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page) is a good place to start; you'll find many videos and articles which will help you.

Moon Wizard
March 16th, 2016, 22:21
There are a couple options:

1. You can create a character on the GM server, while you are connected to them. With this option, you can use any content packs that the GM owns to create your characters.

2. You can use the Manage Characters mode to create a character. For the Manage Characters mode, only the base 3.5E/Pathfinder SRD content packs are available on the demo version. If you have a paid license, then the 5E SRD and Basic Rules content packs are available as well. When you connect to a GM server, you can select the Import Local Character option in the Character Selection window to bring in a character from the Local Character Manager.

Regards,
JPG

DoomsBane
March 16th, 2016, 23:20
Well I have played D&D from First Edition up to 3.5 however, the game I am trying to get into today is 5th Edition, so looking to make a 5th Edition character. I launch Fantasy grounds and go into Character management but cannot figure out how it works. Am I even in the right place?

Trenloe
March 16th, 2016, 23:26
I've recommend checking out some of the videos in the Wiki: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Videos

This video is a good overview, but you won't have the PHB module: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nurEMR4JJeUCreating

Or Zacchaeus's excellent tutorial: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Character_Sheet

damned
March 17th, 2016, 05:35
the Demo does not come with ANY 5e content - not even the SRD or Basic Rules so you really want to do Character Management in game while connected to the GM or buy the $39 license or $4 subscription.

llothos
March 17th, 2016, 07:21
Just try the subscription method if you really want to see what fg has to offer. You get 30 days free to start. Making a character with the srd available is great. Not all of the options but still quite a bit. That's what I am doing so far but I'll be looking to pick it up at some point.

Dennis Archer
March 20th, 2016, 22:45
They really should sticky a post that shows, step-by-step, what one (DM or player) needs to do to get started. It's a pity that I have to spend my free 30 day trial trying to figure this all out from scratch.

Zacchaeus
March 20th, 2016, 22:52
They really should sticky a post that shows, step-by-step, what one (DM or player) needs to do to get started. It's a pity that I have to spend my free 30 day trial trying to figure this all out from scratch.

Hi Dennis, welcome to FG and to the community. You will find a sticky post at the head of each of the ruleset forums directing you to useful guides and videos. Which ruleset is it that you are most interested in?

Black Hammer
March 20th, 2016, 22:59

The hard part here is that "getting started" means so many different things. For me, it was getting a less popular system to work as a DM, while for you it is making a 5E character while not connected to a game yet. Though as Zacchaeus pointed out, there are quite a few guides out there.

Trenloe
March 20th, 2016, 23:32
Welcome to the Fantasy Grounds community.

For first stop should be the Wiki page - click the "Wiki" link at the top of this page. There are videos covering many subjects, I recommend the Walkthroughs or tutorial series to give you an idea of Fantasy Grounds. You can then look at The Game System tutorials for a specific game system.

The "User Guides" section from the main Wiki page also has a lot of useful information, in text/screenshot format.

There is also a 5E demo campaign that steps you through quite a lot of the system.

Going through some videos and/or some of the user guides will help a lot. Have Fantasy Grounds running at the same time, pause the video and try things out yourself.

Trenloe
March 20th, 2016, 23:34
And there are also a lot of useful links on the FG startup screen - click those red dragon links to be taken to various sections of the Wiki/FG website for additional information.

llothos
March 20th, 2016, 23:47

I think honestly that's the point of the trial. To not cost you anything so you can decide whether you like it or not.

Dennis Archer
March 20th, 2016, 23:54
Thanks for the swift and helpful replies! Here's my situation: I used to be on Roll20, which doesn't require any software download, and has a server address one signs onto. Plenty of helpful tutorials on how to go from "what's an rpg" to "how do i tweak this code?". Took me less than a day to become a master at it.

I decided to try FG because I'd been hearing so many great things about it. So, i go to the site. It took me a few to figure out that I had to both download something for windows, and choose a (GM) subscription. I'm currently on my free period, and I'd like to figure this thing out before I start paying for it, so that I can better evaluate it.

So, I have this interface that pops up, and it gives me some choices of things to do, but I'm wondering: Where's the virtual game table? I don't want to join a demo game just yet. i want to create my own. I see this field for activating a license, but I don't have one. With a subscription, I'm effectively leasing a license, so do I need to mess with that at all, or not? I cannot seem to do very much at all with just that small interface. Do I need to buy some FG software, like Steam, before it'll allow me to create anything?

Thanks in advance for any help/clarity.

damned
March 21st, 2016, 00:10
On the Splash Screen go into Settings and enter your Forum Username and Password and also your Subscription Key.
Then run the update.

Then when FG reloads choose Create New Campaign and choose a Ruleset.

Trenloe
March 21st, 2016, 01:37
Where's the virtual game table? I don't want to join a demo game just yet. i want to create my own.
The demo games you see are all local to you - all campaigns are stored locally on your computer. So, the demo games that come with FG are yours to play around with.

To create your own you will need to either start a demo campaign, but if you haven't entered your license you won't save any data you enter. So...

I see this field for activating a license, but I don't have one. With a subscription, I'm effectively leasing a license, so do I need to mess with that at all, or not?
With a subscription FG works the same, so don't try to double-guess anything, just enter the license key you will have been given.

I cannot seem to do very much at all with just that small interface. Do I need to buy some FG software, like Steam, before it'll allow me to create anything?
As damned says, you need to enter your license key, FG website username/password in the "Update" section and do an update. This will download the latest FG application and base rulesets.

Then, I'd recommend having a look at some of the getting started videos in the Wiki. You'll need to create a campaign, or load one of the demo ones, to get started.

Dennis Archer
March 21st, 2016, 18:33
Ah, it's as I suspected. I DO need a license key (and I'm guessing that I should have been provided one when I signed up for that ultimate subscription). I never received one, so I guess i'll have to chat up the FG staff about that. Thanks for all the help!

Trenloe
March 21st, 2016, 18:37
Ah, it's as I suspected. I DO need a license key (and I'm guessing that I should have been provided one when I signed up for that ultimate subscription). I never received one, so I guess i'll have to chat up the FG staff about that. Thanks for all the help!
You should have received an email with your license key - so check your junk/spam folders to see if it is there. It also will only be sent once PayPal clear the subscription, which can sometimes take a couple of days.

Moon Wizard
March 21st, 2016, 19:19
Also, subscription keys are sent to the email registered with PayPal, not the one used on FG forums.

Regards,
JPG

Dennis Archer
March 22nd, 2016, 05:50
I found the e-mail with the subscription key. Long story short: It wasn't my email address. In any event, I'm now on a binge watch of tutorials and hope to be an old hand at this soon. Thanks, everyone, for all the help. You all have a great week :)

gaara6666
March 22nd, 2016, 08:49
No problem Dennis, between quickdraw mcgraw of Trenloe and Damned with their miraculous response time the community is a welcoming and open one. Look forward to hearing lots of success stories of conquering the software from you.