PDA

View Full Version : Character sheet updating issue

Yuukan
March 16th, 2016, 21:03
I've run a gane of Lost Mines of Phandelver during hte course of last year, however Iafter taking a 2 month break and launching a new campaign of Out of the Abyss, we've run into a problem where we are not able to update character sheets with items and weapons. In general there seems to be erratic behaviour with running into problems using the effects. In most cases this results in a read error.

I've now tried to launch a new campaign and still seem to have the same issues. Is there some steps that I can take to "repair" Fantasy Grounds. I've purchased it from Steam and Verified the Integrity of the Local Cache with no resolution.

Nylanfs
March 16th, 2016, 21:10
Check the permissions of the FG data folder structure, make sure you have full access to read/write to them.

Also, welcome to the FG forums and Community!

Zacchaeus
March 16th, 2016, 21:20
Hi, Yuukan. Can you give us a bit more information of what exactly the problem is. I.e. what are you doing, how are you doing it and what error message are you getting. (Assuming that Nylanfs solution doesn't cure the problem that is).

Moon Wizard
March 16th, 2016, 22:26
It's going to be an issue completely outside of Steam. An issue with our installer that was just recently resolved is that it would incorrectly create a directory that a non-admin user couldn't save to. The latest version of FG should pop up the console window informing you that "Permission is denied" when attempting to save files when you type "/save" in the chat box, or use the Return to Launcher option from your campaign.

If it is a permission denied issue, there are 3 workarounds:

a) [EASIEST LONG TERM] Launch FG and click on Settings. Change the Data Directory to a folder other than ProgramData\Fantasy Grounds, where your currently logged in user has full read/write permissions. Then re-run a Check for Updates. You may need to move any campaigns from the old location to the new location after a change.

b) Run FG as Administrator (by updating the shortcut to do so).

c) Change the permissions on the C:\ProgramData\Fantasy Grounds folder to allow read & write access to the currently logged in user (or the Everyone group).

Regards,
JPG

Anticept
March 17th, 2016, 05:27
I feel like the best solution is to simply not use programdata or program files directories, as these are UAC protected by default. I've assigned FG to a "/games/fantasy grounds" folder and it has resolved all the issues.

I don't like how the updater NEEDS admin rights though. Not that that itself is bad, but I have to remind my players to restart FG completely because windows will not pass keystrokes (like push to talk) to any non-admin programs while those elevated programs are in focus.

damned
March 17th, 2016, 05:43
I feel like the best solution is to simply not use programdata or program files directories, as these are UAC protected by default. I've assigned FG to a "/games/fantasy grounds" folder and it has resolved all the issues.

I don't like how the updater NEEDS admin rights though. Not that that itself is bad, but I have to remind my players to restart FG completely because windows will not pass keystrokes (like push to talk) to any non-admin programs while those elevated programs are in focus.

New installs dont use programdata anymore I believe.
You have just pointed out something that is I think affecting some other users with your point about passing keystrokes... thank you!

Anticept
March 17th, 2016, 05:44
New installs dont use programdata anymore I believe.
You have just pointed out something that is I think affecting some other users with your point about passing keystrokes... thank you!

Yeah I found that out back in the vista days. It's a UAC thing to help prevent keyloggers in userspace from snagging admin passwords.

Moon Wizard
March 17th, 2016, 19:30
The latest installer asks the desktop shell to run the app after updating/installing (unless the shell doesn't exist, such as in Wine on Mac), so the credentials while running FG should be the logged in user's credentials. It's one of the other fixes I made in addition to switching away from ProgramData.

Regards,
JPG

Anticept
March 17th, 2016, 19:35
The latest installer asks the desktop shell to run the app after updating/installing (unless the shell doesn't exist, such as in Wine on Mac), so the credentials while running FG should be the logged in user's credentials. It's one of the other fixes I made in addition to switching away from ProgramData.

Regards,
JPG

This is true, it appears to have been a good workaround for now. Still would prefer not using an elevated prompt, but I'm sure that's deeper than the current simple fix.