PDA

View Full Version : Spiritual Weapon - is it affected by effects affecting the caster?

Baron28
March 16th, 2016, 18:24
In last night's game, the cleric had spun up a spiritual weapon as a bonus action with the duration being 1 minute (10 rounds). Later in the round, the cleric was shot by a poisoned crossbow bolt. She failed her Con Saving Throw and the "Poisoned" effect was applied in the CT. With the cleric now poisoned, she would attack at disadvantage and all skill and ability checks would be at disadvantage. So far so good...until next round...She uses her bonus action to attack with her spiritual weapon and since she is poisoned, the spiritual weapon attacks as if it were poisoned.

Question: Do effects applied to the caster of spiritual weapon propagate down to the spiritual weapon?

This scenario also comes up if the cleric casts Bless on herself. Is her spiritual weapon also blessed?

Inquiring minds...

Zacchaeus
March 16th, 2016, 19:11
The attack with the spiritual weapon is a melee (spell) attack so since she is poisoned the attack is at disadvantage. So yes, the poisoned condition will affect that.

I was about to say that the Cleric can't Bless herself but on re-reading the spell I can't see any reason why I concluded that is the case. In which case since she is blessed then any attack she makes will gain the blessing. So I don't see any reason why that wouldn't also apply to the Spiritual Weapon.

The important thing here is that it is the caster who is making the attack not the spiritual weapon.

Baron28
March 16th, 2016, 20:54
Thank you Zacchaeus once again. You are a proven, valuable resource on the forums and your input is appreciated, sir.